Grand Prix 2024 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Like buses before privatisation, we have no Grands Prix for a month and then two come along almost immediately. This time we are off to the "Temple of Speed", or the Autodromo Nazionale Monza, as it is officially called. If you only ever visit one live motor race in your life, go to Monza. The organisation, as you would expect from Italy, is an utter shambles. There are not enough toilets, buying food requires a PhD in finance, getting in to and out of the circuit takes literally hours (unless you do what I did and walk down the side of the queue to the front and go straight in), and an espresso will cost you €5. Please don't try and take in any of your own food, drink, or a power cell to recharge your phone, as these will be confiscated at the gate.

But the food, when eventually you get it after going through three different queues, is fabulous. The €5 espresso is delicious. And you will sit in the most passionate motor racing environment in the world, where every time a Ferrari goes past, everyone, apart from the drunk Dutch fans, gets up and cheers. If a Ferrari is leading, or makes an overtake, the place erupts with a noise it is impossible to describe, and they boo their pantomime villains until they win, and then they cheer them even if they weren't in a Ferrari.

This year, the early races descended in to the widely predicted Max Verstappen show, but as the season has progressed other teams, particularly McLaren, have caught up and passed the Bulls. After the twists and turns of Zandvoort it will be interesting to see who is fastest at the ultra high speed Monza track. Expect Ferrari to put on a show, in qualifying at least. I should say, for those of you hoping for some sort of run at the title from Lando Norris, unless McLaren get Mr Pastry to run Max off the track at two or three races the title is a done deal. The Red Bull might not be the best car on the grid, but what Max is able to extract from it is quite astonishing, particularly given the dismal performance of his team mate.

We have a new driver this weekend, with Williams dropping Logan Sargeant in favour of Franco Colapinto. Presumably last weekend's excursion in to the barriers at Zandvoort was one crash too many. Colapinto is a Williams academy driver from Argentina who's record in junior series is good, but not stellar. One assumes his brief is simply not to crash.

F2 and F3 are back this weekend, with the ladies from the F1 academy being popped back in the motor homes where they belong, returning to decorative and PR duties. Expect more sexist pictures from Aston Martin of the 43 year old Fernando Alonso with a couple of twenty something women draped over him.

Here's the schedule of the F1 race. To see when everything else takes place click here - FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO D’ITALIA 2024 - full timetable | Formula 1®

1724920545347.webp

if you'd offered verstappen that he only lose 8pts after qualifying when it looked like 17. he would have ripped your hand off for that
Russell fluffed the start as did Norris but still amazed they did not swap before the line

It seems like the constructors is a priority

Norris needs to be more aggressive and ruthless

i dont know what going on, i can tell norris is started to get annoyed with piastri which is understandable as he will feel privately that piastri was being selfish & handing verstappen the drivers title. because i wasnt expecting that move on the outside at turn 3. but even then norris didnt have answer to piastri pace. he was never close enough & for the most part always 3 seconds behind. im going to call there will be crash or a falling out by abu dhabi between those 2

russell was an odd race seemed to outbrake himself & then spent most of the race in 8th fighting perez

Colopinto a shoutout a very good debut under the radar, finished 12th only 14 seconds behind Albon which is impressive. & logan can have no complaints following today. as of the races that they both finished. Colopinto has got closer to Sargent on debut than he managed all season
Dutch 24secs
Hungary 16secs
austria 51 secs
China 29 secs
saudi - lap down
Bahrain - lap down

i always support ferrari at italian gp because it is 1 of the greatest sights in sport
1725227365649.webp

temp 3.webp

Attachments

• 1725227383191.webp
    1725227383191.webp
    74.9 KB · Views: 3
McLaren is basically repeating 2007. They have a shot of winning a drivers championship but they are going to throw it away. You would have thought after so many years in the wilderness they would be taking this more seriously.

McLaren is basically repeating 2007. They have a shot of winning a drivers championship but they are going to throw it away. You would have thought after so many years in the wilderness they would be taking this more seriously.
Yesterday was a daft decision by Mclaren it was clear that Red Bull are struggling anotheev3 pts to Norris was there

Norris also saw Piastri make a real statement of intent now

P1 im just throwing out a thought here, that i had during the race. is their team orders because i would assume at this stage there is team orders behind closed doors & piastri is just ignoring them yesterday. their soft stance from hungary came back to bite them again, because that move at turn 3 shocked me & as well as Lando not being able to get close enough for the team to force things

i know this 2025 could be fantastic, as i can see a rosberg v Hamilton reemerging

Last edited:
P1 im just throwing out a thought here, that i had during the race. is their team orders because i would assume at this stage there is team orders behind closed doors & piastri is just ignoring them yesterday. their soft stance from hungary came back to bite them again, because that move at turn 3 shocked me & as well as Lando not being able to get close enough for the team to force things

i know this 2025 could be fantastic, as i can see a rosberg v Hamilton reemerging
Yesterday's decision baffled me by Mclaren

I agree Hamilton vs Rosberg is evident and am afraid Norris is just too soft

I find it odd that one race the leaders the leaders were close, the next there is one totally dominant and then the third the all were the leaders are tighter than the the Motogp race on the same day.

It is expected that two of the team leaders have called "cheat".

Least expected is that Russel has been told that his position is secure.

Yesterday was a daft decision by Mclaren it was clear that Red Bull are struggling anotheev3 pts to Norris was there

Norris also saw Piastri make a real statement of intent now
Totally agree. They should even have made Piastri pull over from second for Norris. That would have told Piastri what the game is for the rest of the season. Total fuck up.

of the recent races. we have had a interesting trend of faster cars in 2nd who just need 1 more lap

Verstappen in Britain
Hamilton in Beligium
now Piastri in Italy

Back
Top Bottom