2014 driver line up market

Silly season this year seems to be in overdrive. I have never seen so many wild rumours. I find it extraordinary that some respectable websites have been reporting unconfirmed driver signings as done deals (magnussen). I suspect twitter has a lot to answer for. What ever happen to old fashioned reporting.

If you are Hulkenberg looking at Lotus knowing you don't bring a budget, you must be wondering who is paying the bills and where your paycheque is coming from. Back to Force India instead? Really?? I can't see McLaren going back for him, especially with Magnussen in the wings there.

There is a bit of a pattern emerging though with Hulkenberg again nearly getting a big drive. McLaren, Ferrari, now Lotus possibly. He wasn't really considered for Red Bull was he. Where are the doubts coming from? It's not just his size, surely? He was bounced out of Williams after doing well there too.

Imagine his situation instead if he brought $30m sponsorship...! Goes to show how important that is.

Where do all the pay drivers get their cash from? Chilton's dad we know a bit about and Pastor's backing is famous in its own right. What about people backing Pic, van der Garde and even Sutil? How did they get these backers and at what age? You appear to need that or to be part of a young driver scheme these days.

I think it must be much harder for a Kobayashi, Kovaleinen or Hulkenberg to get a big sponsor later in their career anyway. Easy for Vettel and Schumacher of course, but harder when you have already shown your hand somewhat. Youngsters with 'promise' must find it easier than veterans with 'ok results'.

Maldonado and Massa have that elusive title of Race winner, even if they don't have the skills of some of the newer drivers it's always an attractive feature for any sponsor. Hulkenberg should have really taken the Lotus seat if it was offered and use these two races as showcase for the sponsors. Right now it's the only car that can challenge the Red Bulls and two races on the podium would have really proved his talent.

I think the Hulkenberg story only relates to the last two races of the season, not sure it covers next year at all.

Yep - it seems like it would be unnecessarily complicated legally to race in the last two races. Sauber have missed payments to him so technically they are probably in breach of contract which would be his get-out clause, but it does seem pointless.
This is probably all a bit of a distraction from the question of whether he'll race for Lotus next year and I suspect he's still favourite to get that seat.

As it stands now it looks like he won't be getting a seat at all for next season, I'd take the risk. Competition for seats is only going to grow as the seasons go on. This could be his last chance for a successful F1 career.

I think the Hulkenberg story only relates to the last two races of the season, not sure it covers next year at all.
You're right, I hadn't appreciated that. D'you still make him favourite for next year though up against Maldos Milliones? I don't. Not even with Quantum money. It's too much to turn down when debts are already so high.

I have a feeling Hulk may end up out in the cold again next season. Looking for a top team, where there are no openings, and not having a budget, meaning he is not able to get a lower/midfield drive when up against people like Maldo/Pic/Petrov etc, a similar position to Heikki/heidfeld et al.

It looks more and more like Kovaleinen will be in a Lotus for the last 2 races this season too, which will be good for him.

Why is there so much speculation about Hulk? Didn't Martin Brundle in commentary a couple of races ago say that he had it on good authority that the Hulk had definitely been signed by a team but he was sworn to secrecy in which case those in the know will already know where he is going which would make the theory about him being the sticking pin for McLaren complete nonsense...

Also I don't understand why you are all dismissing a Hulk Maldo partnership at Lotus after all they have two seats available...

Last edited:
Teams say a lot of things, Martin said he was keeping Perez at one point, Romain as far as I know has only ever been on a two race rolling contract and he has not been confirmed, what if it is true that the Hulk was signed by Lotus ages ago and the thought of Maldo's money is too big a carrot to pass over, this would mean Romain would be out....

Last edited:
Whitmarsh has NEVER said he was keeping Perez.

Sorry. I don't buy that they'd drop Grosjean (especially as Eric Boullier is his manager) and if they'd sign Hulkenberg they'd have announced it already.

Martin is on record as saying that both their drivers deserve to be driving for them next year and that Perez's poor performance at Abu Dhabi is the reason they are looking elsewhere...

Eric Boullier does not hold the purse strings at Lotus and the purse is looking a little empty these days..

I believe my theory has as much substance as some of the others that are being tossed around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom