2014 driver line up market

I think Perez has done okay this season, I'm really surprised by this decision. I don't think it looks great for what McLaren think about Button if a new driver coming in being slower than him initially is not good enough. And questions have to be asked about the decision process they went through last season, especially considering they immediately announced Hamilton's replacement in what seemed like a knee jerk reaction. Annnndddd why are they not considering Hulkenberg now either?

I don't know much about Magnussen but there's a bit of a buzz around him so let's see how he gets on.

Considering what Hamilton had to achieve to get a seat in McLaren on entry to F1 this seems rather strange as he hasn't had that level of success.

Be interesting though especially if McLaren can improve on the shit heap of this year.

Perez hasn't done badly enough for there not to be something else that's driven this decision.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Magnussen but there's a bit of a buzz around him so let's see how he gets on.

sushi......Whitmarsh described Magnussen as being lightning quick and said, " Kevin has had two runs in an F1 car. In Abu Dhabi on his third flying lap, he did a time that was good enough for sixth on the grid, which is pretty impressive."......that could be one reason for that buzz.

Who said mythical extra hard slog? He won two series back to back and had to win each to get finding for the next.

Hence "that level of success"

I hope it works out for McLaren but they had other safer options available if they believe Button can do it if the car is competitive.

If Perez has gone on performance alone I wouldn't like to be a rookie in that seat.

Perez has heard the news.
screenshot.18.webp

Who said mythical extra hard slog? He won two series back to back and had to win each to get finding for the Next.

Magnusen did more years in junior series than Lewis and he's done exactly what is asked of him just like Lewis did.

If he carries his form to F1 I think Magnusen will be exactly your sort of driver. Far more than Perez anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that one question that all this raises is whether any driver can come in and "Do a Hamilton" any more; let's face it, the world of F1 has changed no end since 2007. When Hamilton came in, there was almost endless testing - so Hamilton could get to grips with an F1 car. The tyres were changing from Michelin to Bridgestones - and this suited Hamilton down to the ground. Added to this, Alonso was a new driver in the McLaren team as well, so he didn't have the advantage of being the incumbent driver.

Can Magnussen come in and repeat this? Well, there isn't the level of testing available to prepare him for the drive, but there is a major change in designs, so this may advantage him, as despite Button being the incumbent driver, he may not have as much advantage as he would have done if the rules had remained constant.

Mephistopheles.....I guess that it must have been even more easier for Vettel, because he was funded by Red Bull starting, at the age of 11....:thinking:

Can I remind you this is to discuss the 2014 driver line not yet another "Blah, Blah, Blah, my driver better than yours, I don't like your driver 'cos he smells, I've counted how many walnuts my favourite driver's got and it more than yours," etc, etc.

So, any more off topic posts, deliberate baiting and trolling posts will be deleted.

Thanks

FB

Kyvat getting a superlicence - well a GP3 champion is equivalent to F3 you'd think seeing its below GP2 / World Series

Don't forget who owns the rights to GP3 - a certain Mr Bernie Ecclestone - no doubt Bernie will pull a few strings although not as ridiculous as allowing Raikkonen into F1 from Formula Renault

Massa - great news for him to have one last hurrah at Williams - they both should get along fine with Mercedes engines and Pat Symonds leading the design team they could be a dark horse

----------

Magussen - Mclaren are in a period of transition and find themselves in a situation where it appears they are no longer a team a driver wants to join or should I say the really top drivers want to join

To convince Honda they are serious about being front runners and gain their technical support - they need to find potential future grand prix winners - or established front runners

WIth Button's future after 2014 not clear they need to find out now if their young drivers can cut it ...clearly they feel Perez is not up to it as he has failed to make strides expected

Getting Alonso is an ambitious target but also possibly a long shot depending on how he fares against Raikkonen at Ferrari which many predict will be in his favour

A few stories say Maldonado is now the favourite for the seat at Lotus. Which would mean that the Hulk is out of options for a top team next year (if the Magnussen to Mclaren story is made officially official). That would be very wrong. F1 is broken if the Hulk can't get that Lotus seat just because of money.

Last edited:
Magnussen to McLaren is confirmed so Perez will also be looking for a drive. That's three drivers searching for a path to continue their careers.

Back
Top Bottom