2014 driver line up market

This is really veering off topic now but from 2010 to 2012 McLaren were the only team making inroads in to Red Bull in terms of car performance (they have had shortcomings in other areas though). In 2012 they were slightly ahead of Red Bull on average in terms of qualifying pace.

They haven't won many championships over the last decade or so because we've seen two very dominant periods for Schumacher and Vettel. Over that time they've been pretty consistently the second best team which frankly isn't bad and if the regulations hadn't changed in 2009 it's possible we could have had a period of McLaren dominance instead of Red Bull dominance.

If they have another two seasons like this year you can say they're a declining force but not now.

Two race wins in two years is hardly a success story for Lotus and Williams have only won two races in the last decade yeah those are the teams moving forward no doubt about it...

Last edited:
Mephistopheles it was this bit

"McLaren have been around a hell of lot longer than Williams and have a hell of a lot more resources than both Williams and Lotus put together and they are going to get the backing of Honda in a years time"

I was just saying by your reasoning above, if Red Bull were an option, McLaren would still be more favourable because they've been around longer, have more resources and have Honda backing.

offtopic.webp

In other news, Autosport are reporting a Perez single year extension is on the cards.

I do hope they keep him, others may not agree but he has huge potential and has now shown he drive maturely which if he carries that on into next year should throw up some good results!

So, on the same day, Perez seems to be more secure in his seat at McLaren, and Kevin Magnussen is being seriously considered.

This one could get spicy

There is no chance Pastor will stay a Williams he doesn't want to stay he has actually stated he would rather stay home than drive for them, he will either go to Sauber or Force India...

Well the rumours from journalists seem to think Hulkenberg to Lotus is virtually a done deal, Massa to Williams is very likely, Maldonado probably to Force India, and Kovalainen back to Caterham (has he been confirmed already? not sure). That's the gist I get and it seems to have been pretty fixed for a week or two.
I'm probably completely wrong but it's always a laugh spreading spurious rumours!

Pretty weird that Magnussen pulled out of the GP2 test. Maybe he already got something for next year? Or Mclaren is really considering him to replace Perez.

Well they were going to place him at Marussia and I suppose they still could but it doesn't look good for Perez at the moment considering that Whitmarsh called his drive in the last race "Disappointing."

Mclaren do not run rookies - they took a gamble with Hamilton because Ron was not impressed by what was left on the grid then and obviously had higher ambitions than journeyman Pedro

Running Magnussen in the 2nd car would be one hell of a gamble given the team are in transition and need to think about who they want to be No 1 to impress Honda if Button decides to quit

Then again I bet someone inside Mclaren is thinking why did not we get Hulking instead of :censored: Perez?
--------------------------------

FB Just means Hulkenberg may have de ja vu where he finds himself not paid for scoring points and wins . I hope Genii capital disappear in the background for good because they've been holding the team back waiting for the moment to sell the team and cut their losses - so much the better

Lotus have got two up and coming drivers .. only concern is what sort of influence will Renault have with them over Red Bull who are de facto Renault No 1 team

if Hulkenberg has a stormer next season don;t be surprised if he moves to Ferrari or Mclaren or even Red Bull for 2015-- I don't think Lotus would offer him a silly wage or put themselves in a stupid position for expecting a driver to perform to his best despite not agreeing with his contract terms for his performances

as for Maldonado - I don't think he will stay at Williams
-----------------------------

Force India - what is the chance they will be the last team to decide who drives for them by having musical drivers testing each session

Il_leone I have not heard any rumours that JB is even considering quitting at the moment and as his contract is said to have been signed sealed and delivered but not published then why should that even be a problem for McLaren...?

Back
Top Bottom