2014 driver line up market

He would be more likely to win races and more likely to get paid with McLaren... but it's not like he's choosing Lotus over McLaren anyway, he's choosing Lotus over Sauber/Force India/not being in F1.

GermanF1 Lotus have had two seasons where I think it's fair to say that they've exceeded expectations - they've had two years in which they can be very happy with the performance they've got out the car. Realistically, without significantly more investment they're not going to do better than that. In those two seasons they've won two races.

McLaren won seven races just last season. The two seasons before that McLaren won 11 races to Lotus' none. Ok they've cocked up this season spectacularly but they're the bigger team and will have switched focus to 2014 earlier than any of the other big teams. From 2015 onwards they will also in effect be a manufacturer team.

Lotus may be on top again in 2014 but I wouldn't expect that to last.

I'm judging it by Lotus moving forward, McLaren moving backwards.

Williams were a good team once upon a time and Ferrari are still third in the championship even with a shit season.

Plus Lotus put a lot of faith in Grosjean so if rumours are to be believed McLaren are quick to give up (Perez) if the performance isn't there which also makes them more attractive.

McLaren have been around a hell of lot longer than Williams and have a hell of a lot more resources than both Williams and Lotus put together and they are going to get the backing of Honda in a years time, if I were the Hulk I know where I'd rather be, and it wouldn't be in a team that can't even afford to pay its drivers...

So the Hulk should be made official in the next day or so. I can't see Lotus dropping Grosjean he is looking like a proper racing driver now.
Than means Pastor will almost certainly stay at Williams as they need the money. I can't see them dropping Bottas he is doing a solid job. The extra money may help Williams tempt Ross Brawn to join them.
Now that Hulk is gone, Perez should get another season at McLaren as will Button, why wouldn't he. Rosberg isn't going anywhere. Sauber seem to have Sirotkin lined up, sure that will be confirmed soon. I personally feel Gutierrez seat is probably safe. But if I was Peter Sauber I would put Sam Bird or Di Resta in that seat.

Here is what I think might / should happen.

Redbull - Vettel & Ricciardo
Ferrari - Alonso & Kimi
Mercedes - Hamilton & Rosberg
McLaren - Button & Perez
Lotus - Hulkenberg & Grosjean
TorroRosso - Kvyat & Verne
Williams - Bottas & Maldonado
Caterham - Bird & Massa
Force India - Liemer & Kovalainen
Sauber - Sirotkin & Di Resta
Marrusia - Bianchi & Magnussen

There is no chance Pastor will stay a Williams he doesn't want to stay he has actually stated he would rather stay home than drive for them, he will either go to Sauber or Force India...

Alternative silliest season suggestion:

RB: S Vettel, D Ricciardo
MB: N Rosberg, L Hamilton
SF: K Raikkonen, J Bianchi
QL: N Hulkenburg, R Grosjean
Mc: F Alonso, J Button
FI: J Calado, S Perez
Sa: P di Resta, S Sirotkin
TR: J Vergne, D Kyvat
Wi: F Massa, V Bottas
Ma: M Chilton, S Vandoorne
Ca: H Kovalainen, N Karthikeyan

Yet McLaren are less than one win (having not even had a podium) in front of Force India in the constructors, with all those resources, with all those years experience, with all that past success.

By your logic Mephistopheles if Red Bull were an option McLaren would still be the better choice!

Lotus have won two, and a race a year in 2012 and 2013 although they have lost significant backing since the glory. Force India, Sauber, Williams have won none in the same period, and only one of those teams have even won a race in that time.

I agree that a championship seems to have alluded them recently, and this season is poor, however, future howlers notwithstanding, of all the teams listed, and excluding Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull, I would personally feel more confident of race wins, and a potential championship at McLaren than any of the others.

I have lost faith recently, as they do not seem to be able to string a season together, but there seems to be moves in place to move forward.

That said, it would not be the first time I have been wrong!!!

Back
Top Bottom