Pre-Season Winter testing : 2014 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stolen this from Sky F1's live feed from about 13:45 on the last day of testing (15 minutes to go). Striking how much faster the Mercedes teams are - Rosberg 3+ seconds faster than closest non-Mercedes team..

b2dcf0e0-69d4-40cb-942a-ea80a0e2b251_800.jpg

Well, that's it then. Hamilon and Rosberg fight it out for the top two places whilst Button and Magnussen fight for third and fourth. The rest pick up the crumbs from the table. Meanwhile the Renault engined teams are just there for creating safety cars, allowing the top cars to save loads of fuel, knowing that they will short fuel and be even further ahead of the rest.

When is the first test for next season?

Day 4

1. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1min 33.283secs 89 laps
2. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1min 34.957secs 66 laps
3. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 36.718secs 81 laps
4. Felipe Nasr Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1min 37.569secs 87 laps
5. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Renault 1min 38.707secs 59 laps
6. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1min 39.258secs 19 laps
7. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1min 39.837secs 15 laps
8. Jean-Eric Vergne Russia STR-Renault 1min 40.472secs 19 laps
9. Kamui Kobyashi Japan Sauber-Ferrari 1min 43.027secs 17 laps
10. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault 1min 45.094secs 4 laps
11. Adrian Sutil Germany Sauber-Ferrari No time 7 laps
12.. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Ferrari No time 5 laps

Combined times for all 4 days

1. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1min 33.283secs 174 laps (4)
2. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1min 34.263secs 141 laps (3)
3. Kevin Magnussen Denmark McLaren-Mercedes 1min 34.910secs 127 laps (2)
4. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1min 34.957secs 169 laps (4)
5. Nico Hulkenberg German Force India-Mercedes 1min 36.445secs 137 laps (2)
6. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 36.516secs 160 laps (2)
7. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 36.718secs 125 laps (4)
8. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1min 37.066secs 65 laps (3)
9. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1min 37.180secs 151 laps (3)
10. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1min 37.328secs 171 laps (2)
11. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1min 37.367secs 76 laps (3)
12. Felipe Nasr Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1min 37.569secs 87 laps (4)
13. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Renault 1min 38.707secs 85 laps (4)
14. Daniil Kvyat Russia STR-Renault 1min 38.974secs 62 laps (3)
15. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1min 39.837secs 43 laps (4)
16. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Caterham-Renault 1min 39.855secs 83 laps (2)
17. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1min 40.224secs 73 laps (1)
18. Adrian Sutil German Sauber-Ferrari 1min 40.443secs 89 laps (1)
19. Jean-Eric Vergne Russia STR-Renault 1min 40.472secs 77 laps (4)
20. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1min 41.670secs 26 laps (2)
21. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault 1min 42.130secs 102 laps (3)
22. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Ferrari 1min 42.511secs 21 laps (2)
23. Robin Frijns Netherlands Caterham-Renault 1min 42.534secs 68 laps (1)
24. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Ferrari No time 6 laps

Nice video of day 4 of Bahrain testing including Kimi dropping it around 4:30.
So many farts and burps coming from these engines! I think it could sound rather good with a grid-full of them.

it is said this has been prepared by mercedes over a few seasons in the preparation of preparing the power trains in starting to hire top engineers

you look at Red Bull they've concentrated basing their speed on aerodynamics through exhaust gases and last year really focused on securing the title whilst other teams were already writing off the title

------------------

The other key note is how close the engine building division has to be with the chassis designers... Renault do not favour certain teams despite their contract with Red Bull by providing stand alone engines built in France

It might be a bit harder for them this season to catch up

I think its fair to say if you don't have mercedes engine powered car you could be at least 2 seconds slower a lap at the moment

the only question is reliability and fuel consumption

After the last few seasons, there's nothing I would like to see more than Red Bull out of the points.

It will also be a very interesting test of character for Vettel. We will see whether he has the metal Hamilton showed in 2009 and Alonso showed in his second Renault stint.

This season is shaping up to being a complete unknown. I don't think anything we've seen in testing gives even a hint of an answer and I won't be surprised if cars and drivers we would normally expect to be racing alongside one another end up lapping each other. It's quite possible that some top drivers may be handed a huge car disadvantage and end up getting beaten by drivers that really only deserve to be mid-field. I hope I'm wrong. :(

I hope you're not, I'd have a smug smile on my face if Massa in his Williams pootled past Alonso in his Ferrari :)
It's looking good so far for Mercedes engined cars although I never believe testing.
If the Renault cars are mid-field in Melbourne I'll believe it then.

I think over the years we've been lulled into believing sand bagging and other such tactics. This time due to a completely new era and totally new technology, or at least KER's taken to a completely new level, now called ERS of course, what we see is likely to be what we get mid March in Australia. Renault cars mid-field… coming up the rear would be my bet. Regarding Alonso, I couldn't gain any pleasure at all in seeing is current run continue. Like him or not there's not another driver in the field that deserves adding more titles to his tally than Alonso. He deserves a decent car from Ferrari rather than dragging dogs into runner-up in the Championship as he has more than once since shifting to Ferrari.

There's still another test to go and a lot can change in that time... And then Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Melbourne can all be completely different from each other as well.

I wouldn't even write off the Renault teams from the early season just yet. Even though they've had a terrible start we just don't know who will have the most competitive engine package when everything is working as it should. Frankly, a Renault team might even be able to win running at half power if everyone else runs out of fuel...

I think sushifiesta has hit the nail on the head. Fuel economy formulas have always been difficult for F1 teams and I don't suspect this one to be any different. Somehow I think Jenson Button's driving style might suit this era better than some of the previous ones where the drivers could just step on the loud pedal and not worry. Vettel, if the car can be made to work, has proven himself to be pretty adaptable but he has to change probably more than most for 2014 with fewer aero tricks on the car than previoulsy.

As for Alonso "deserving" another title. No, he needs to win it. No driver deserves a title and, never forget, he had a fabulous chance in 2007 and 2010 and blew it.

It will also be a very interesting test of character for Vettel. We will see whether he has the metal Hamilton showed in 2009 and Alonso showed in his second Renault stint.

To you Vettel still has not proven enough? I believe all you want, and I guess your not alone on this, is to see him fail.
But after all those torturing sessions for the last 4 years, I guess I should not be surprised.

Last edited:
Reliability is, I think, going to be the biggest game changer followed by the abilities of drivers and engineers to manage the torque. On the tech' side we're likely to see a lot of tweaking on the rear end with different aero' solutions (like the "suspension blockers", "monkey seats", diffusers, etc.) and probably quite visible changes to front wings as they need to be dealt with in concert. I expect to see some quite visible changes in body shape of the Renault powered cars as they deal with their cooling issues.

As far as the fuel saving issue is concerned that is more in the hands of the engineers and technicians. Driving to instructions from pit wall to manage fuel has been part and parcel of motor sport for a long time now, so I'm not sure any of the current drivers have any real advantage over another in that regard. One only has to recall the nervousness on pit wall when Seb' kept pumping in fastest laps to nail lap records whilst leading from the front, or the team orders to team-mates to hold station and run to a delta. If anything that will be about the temperament and ability of individuals to follow instructions, so maybe we'll learn something about drivers from that point of view.

As for smoothness, that's a two edged sword. The cars are going to be very tricky in some track conditions with all that torque and less down-force so smoothness when that counts will be important. However, drivers will also need to handle the cars when they're "out of shape" and dancing around. We've been missing that sort of thing since 2008. I'm looking forward to the tetchy, lively cars testing drivers reactions like the old days coming back.

Oh, another positive IMHO is the noise. I don't need my ear drums blown out to enjoy a gig, it's the quality and variety of the sound that matters. We've had years of all the cars sounding almost the same screaming their heads off like banshees. For me the return of growling beasts that we can actually tell apart is a welcome change. If they just turn down the bloomin' commentators and stop them shouting all the time we'll be quids in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom