The show must go on

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Just as I, and I'm sure many others predicted, Pirelli are pushing for a change in the rules to stop teams not running in qualifying in order to save a set of tyres.

With drivers limited to just six sets of tyres for qualifying and the race, there have been occasions where drivers have limited their running on Saturday to ensure that they keep fresh sets of rubber for Sunday.

But amid fears that there could be circumstances where drivers choose not to do any running at all in Q3, Pirelli has asked the teams to consider modifying the rules.

"We are talking with the teams about the regulations," Pirelli's director of motorsport Paul Hembery said. "At the moment if you don't set a time, for example in Q3, then you are able to choose the tyres that you start on. It means people could be saving a set of tyres because then they would be better off in the race.

"I've made a suggestion to put to the Sporting Working Group to say that actually in those circumstances, you should be made to use your Q2 tyres in that situation, so there is no advantage from not setting a time."
I have to say this is starting to get annoying now.
If that is a valid strategy, which seems to work in certain circumstances, why remove it?

Formula One is getting more and more artificial and spec' series by the week.

At this rate I doubt I'll be watching in a few years...at the most.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92602

I really couldn't care less.

Pirelli have said many times that they will not stand for 4 -stop races, and would prefer 2 -stops. They've consistently tweaked the tire compounds for increased durability.

I doubt we will ever again see the kind of races we saw at the beginning of this year. You don't need to save all the extra sets anymore.

I really couldn't care less.

Pirelli have said many times that they will not stand for 4 -stop races, and would prefer 2 -stops. They've consistently tweaked the tire compounds for increased durability.

I doubt we will ever again see the kind of races we saw at the beginning of this year. You don't need to save all the extra sets anymore.

Very true Keke.We are rapidly heading back towards to the Bridgestone type of durability.

Back
Top Bottom