Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Something must be done to improve it

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I agree that change was necessary

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • The sound of F1 is important to my enjoyment

Votes: 21 32.8%

• Total voters
I like it, and I'm used to the changes in F1. I only wish the local broadcaster would play the F1 feed noises louder compared to the commentary. OK, they are quieter now, so adjust accordingly.

The Australian GP organisers complained about the diminished sound to Bernie. I understand they feared the spectators didn't get what they were expecting, but one comment I find rather funny:

"Australian Grand Prix chief executive Andrew Westacott agreed with Walker, saying he didn’t even need earplugs in the pit lane."

And that's supposed to be a bad thing? These quieter sounds also mght might help organisers like Monza, who have sometimes been in trouble with neighbouring people complaining about the noise levels.

I look forward to hearing the new sound live. The recordings sound better to me but I will only know when I get to go to the track.

The grandstand comparison really shows the difference, if you're going to watch an F1 race live you'll be disappointed by the noise.

Luckily they didn't go to V4s as they were thinking about it.

Yes they're quieter but you can now hear differences between the cars. The three power units sound distinct and don't all sound like they've got the same screaming banshee under the engine cover. That I like.

Can I have 3 choices?
I like it
I agree that change was necessary
The sound of F1 is important to my enjoyment

Like others, I appreciate hearing difference between the engines AND the other sounds of a GP (fans, tyres, etc).

The engines had to change... the engine freeze had stagnated competition and did more to destroy audience appeal than a change of sound ever will. At least now we have cars that look as if they are hard to drive which is really what people want to see. GP to Joe Punter is about believing their seeing the best drivers man handling the most powerful cars (even if it isn't factually correct); it has to look that way or it cannot make a claim for their attention.

The technology change is relevant and important; they just need to sell it.

And the Aussie's moaning about it being too quiet? To be expected from one of the loudest and brashest nations... ;)

I just wish we had kept the V8s but still have brought in the turbos. The turbo noise is nice, the V6 engine not so much.

It's the turbos that do most of the engine muffling.

If I was a frequent attendee of Grand Prix meetings I might be longing for the days of screaming engines, but as a television viewer I'm fascinated by this new audio experience.

I wonder what Vijay Mallya thinks??? :givemestrength:

Can he hear them from his prison cell? Or is that Bernie? Or Vijay's business partner?

No it's not. As you approach a race track and you hear them working on the engines or going round for practice, it makes your hair stand on end.

I rather like the growl of the new PUs - puts me in mind of a WW2 Bomber. The formula had to change - screaming 2.4l V8s were just becoming an anachronism, and as others have said, had stifled the competition into aero-designers battling it out in CAD before ever getting to the track. The only way to tempt car manufacturers back into the sport is to make it road-car relevant, and with the new emphasis on fuel-economy and efficiency, it seemed a no-brainer to change them. The fact that Honda are planning to return a mere 6 years after quitting should be eivdence enough that the strategy is working.

Unfortunately, Cosworth was never the same having lost the support of a major manufacturer (Ford) and their glory years came and went with the privateers... a long time ago.
Maybe Honda success being comparatively recent makes them more attractive to younger fans of F1?
Personally, I want great engines and competition made by whoever can find a buyer...

Also, on a separate note, V8's aren't F1.
We've had loads of configurations over the years and they all sound different but none of them sound wrong.

Back
Top Bottom