Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Something must be done to improve it

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I agree that change was necessary

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • The sound of F1 is important to my enjoyment

Votes: 21 32.8%

• Total voters
I have to say, I take back a little bit of what I said about the sound not mattering. I think we'll get used to it, but the track just felt earily quiet in that race. More like a GP3 race. It does take away some of the intensity of the racing. Like I said though, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The start was pretty depressing, the sound of the all the V8s revving up really got my heart racing but it was just about watching the lights today.

As a sound engineer I must protest the "Beeb do it better than sky etc"

All they have control over during the race is the level of the commentary as all pictures and sound are supplied by Formula 1 broadcasting. You know when the F1 logo comes up before the start of the race? That is when they hand over from their OB to F1's feed.

Hmm, you surprise me Speshal . I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I must strike back!

It is true to say that the source feed from FOM to the various broadcasting companies is the same. However, each broadcaster has the ability to control the balance between volume levels from their own commentary team and that of the FOM source. In addition they will have the ability to apply EQ, compression, etc. to enhance, suppress and filter sounds, etc. for the sound in their broadcasts. Whether or not they make full use of their capacity to do that is another matter.

Even an amateur like me has the sound from my top box fed through a Tascam parametric EQ and Behringer mixer that enables me to enhance my listening pleasure. The drawback is that without separate signals from the FOM and commentary feeds I can't do much about the volume levels of each. I would need a more sophisticated set up to achieve the separation and manipulation I would like.

I'm still tweaking the EQ but a bit of boost to the lower frequencies has brought out the deeper engine tones we have this season. More experimentation going on when I can be arsed to do it.

Having said all that the sound on Sky seemed a bit better today but that could just be my imagination.

I like it, it's a far more varied sound than before. It just sounds cool - others have already explained it better. As others have mentioned being able to hear other sounds like squealing tyres is great - something I normally only get to hear when I go to a race.

It is true to say that the source feed from FOM to the various broadcasting companies is the same. However, each broadcaster has the ability to control the balance between volume levels from their own commentary team and that of the FOM source. In addition they will have the ability to apply EQ, compression, etc. to enhance, suppress and filter sounds, etc. for the sound in their broadcasts. Whether or not they make full use of their capacity to do that is another matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were contractual limitations on what they're allowed to do with the FOM stream. TV/Film content providers get picky about this sort of thing and we all know how FOM feels about footage without their stamp on it.

Last edited:
I was trying to think of a good analogy for that sound. Air-brakes on an old truck sprang to mind.

Fenderman....how about a vacum cleaner,?.... instead at being behind the wheel of a racing car, which is the feeling that Sebastian Vettel had at Melborne.

I have no choice, and will just have to get use to those sounds, as Vettel described vacum cleaners, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.......:disappointed:

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f1-australian-gp-furious-with-f1s-purring-engines?artid=165634

2013 vs. 2014 sound comparison from the grandstands:

The ear piercing sound of the V8/V10s was something unparalleled in motorsport, the V6s sound like any other racing car (with a few bells and whistles added on from the energy recovery systems).

Last edited:
It's interesting hearing mention of the sound quality on Sky. At times I just wanted to hear the engines but the commentary was intense without breaks and extremely irritating. It must be something to do with the different-sounding engines and the sound levels of the commentators relative to the ambient track sound - something isn't pleasing to the ear. Would be really nice to turn the commentators off sometimes. I've not noticed this on Sky before - it's usually the BBC I have an issue with commentators droning on.

Back
Top Bottom