Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Something must be done to improve it

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I agree that change was necessary

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • The sound of F1 is important to my enjoyment

Votes: 21 32.8%

• Total voters
No, found a cheap hotel a few miles away so will drive in and out. Won't make the Friday but will be there for Saturday and Sunday.

Did no one else love the squeal of the tyres and the drifting?

Not sure how Bernie is going to bring the noise back. New reg that says the cars have to have amplifiers attached maybe? Red Bull would prob have amps that went to 11 while the others went to ten though amd Christian Horner would probably try and convince us 11 and 10 are the same thing.

I think the fact the TV keep playing the old sound is the issue. If the media stopped making such a bug fuss about it then everyone will prob have got used to it by about race 6.

People naturally fear change. When Facebook changed its lay out thousands of users joined a group saying bring back the old lay out and I bet you 99% of those can no longer remember what its like anymore.

I was astonished at the Silverstone Classic just how bloody loud the Cosworth F1 cars from the 80's were but all the other cars were just as exciting to watch, from the 50's and 60's F3 cars through to the Le Man cars of the 70's. If you enjoy motor racing the sound is irrelevant.

FB There are many reasons why F1 stands out compared to other race series and the sound was arguably the most obvious. It's just another thing that lessens the gap between the so-called pinnacle of motorsport and anything else you decide to stick on a race track.

But surely any pinnacle of anything should be pushing at the edges of technology. 2.4l V8 vs 1.6l V6t hybrids; there's only one of those that even smacks of the future. F1 needs to make sure they're minding the gap to Le Mans in this respect, not just staying in the 90s for the show's sake.

Yep and with Formula E just round the corner they can't stay a dinosaur just for the sake of some stuck in the muds.

Formula E by the way will prob be even quieter but lucky for them it means they can race through cities like LA and London and whatever time they like and no one cares.

I'm actually impressed by how positive and forward looking CTA members are. I feel like a bit of a grumpy old man saying this, but I do hate the sound of the new drivetrain.

Don't get me wrong, it was great to hear the tyres screeching and I'm sure its more child friendly not having to wear earmuffs and so on, but the new sound, for me, was missing a big part of why I love F1. As fanta federation fia says above, you could feel the old sound in your bones even before you could see the cars. Someone also mentioned the old bridge corner at Silverstone, where I stood many times in the 1990s - you could hear them off the startline and then all the way around the track until they came into view. I doubt that will be the case now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against technical progress or the changes the drivers have to make to cope with the torque which is all great. It is just the sound and the feeling I got from it. Watching Australia was like going to a family reunion after the death of a dear old relative. It wasn't the same, but life goes on.

Maybe it's because I work in technology and I'm inherently a born process improver (I actually prefer the term performance improver) but I've found this year's changes to be pretty exciting. I recognise that for some people the sound was a key aspect, but often in moving forward some things have to be discarded for tangible improvements elsewhere. For example, we can romanticise about the leather helmets of the 50s where you could see the faces of the drivers as they struggled away, it doesn't mean that anyone has any doubt that a modern full-face helmet is the way to go (ask Massa if you disagree) ;) We're very early in the season, last weekend was the first time I'd properly heard the engines and it was definitely different, but if you turned the sound off there was no doubt in my mind that we were still watching F1. Rather than the engine noise I'm now more interested whether we're going to see more standardising of the nose configurations after everyone's had a good look at each other's performance. Personally I like the double supports and not the anteater style approach.

Last edited:
Mezzer, I wish everyone could have been forced into a nose configuration like this:

800px-Williams_FW15C_front-right_Donington_Grand_Prix_Collection.jpg

Back
Top Bottom