Out of Ten - 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
Fenderman
I can't agree that we haven't seen the "head to head" between Seb and Lewis. At the start Lewis got the better run off the line but Seb's aggression on Grosjean was verging on naughty and throughout the race he created his problems for himself.

Lewis was much quicker than Sebastian during the first stint and showed far more skill at those key moments. It was a head to head, just not nose to tail. I am convinced had Jenson allowed Seb past - simply to protect his own race pace - we would have seen a mighty duel for first place and a far more confidence inducing outcome for Lewis. Seb was all over the place and trashed his own front wing.

Oh joy!:D. I have to be objective here? I can't, impossible! It was a dream race. Win unexpected, win happened :chuffed:. Superb overtaking when needed, measured driving when needed, heart in mouth about engine near the end, 11 out of 10!! But that was just Lewis. Vettel whining again, a race for second place near the end, differing pit stop strategies...and not clear who was going for what, webber charging through, Buttons good start, Grosjean's 'actions' and penalties, Ferrari disappointing, Mercedes with tyres that last, Force India's dilemmas, Red Bull getting worried? Oh so much. Ok seriously I give it a 9, but my heart has it 10++++++:D

just to clarify something I alluded to earlier with regard to a battle between Seb and Lewis. It is quite rare that a battle between two drivers is a tit for tat punch up such as one might witness in MotoGP for example. The chase for the win is more usually a combination of: a) the initial strategy and the abilities of the drivers and their teams to adapt the tactics as a race progresses; and b) the abilities of the drivers to maximise their opportunities and minimise effects of disadvantages in the race to their benefit.

This means that the contenders for the lead and win (of which there were really three today - LH, KR and SV) can be separated by quite large margins on the track at any one time. There was a battle going on but as ever it required "watching" the timing screens as well as the track. Vettel had a messy start and fought like a tiger to get back on terms with Hamilton. So much so that he made some critical mistakes, mistiming his attempts to pass "obstacles" and pushing the car too hard. His front left tyres must have looked like 50 pence pieces after his stints as he was routinely locking up throughout the race. In particular he caned the front left with his chase-down and attempts to snatch second from Raikkonen. Incidentally, that locking up and his off-track excursions do not suggest to me that he was nursing his car because of one or other issues, otherwise he would have been slower!

So, in my view we did see a battle for the lead, which Vettel lost maybe earlier than one would like, but lost nevertheless. It then became a battle for second which Kimi won probably due to his being somewhat more experienced and, IMHO, smarter.

Oh, and there were several "overtakes for the win" for whilst they were on Button and Webber they were key to Lewis securing and keeping track position. That is why I believe the battles for a win don't mean it has to be mano y mano at the front to the exclusion of all else.

Indeed. I'm quite looking forward to the overtaking stat's for that one. That's assuming there were more than we saw ...

I found the race enthralling, from start to finish. From the "how did he do that?" Look on Seb's face after quali through to Ross Brawn's soaking in champagne on the podium it was a proper Hungarian classic. Disagree with snowy about Jenson vs Vettel too- JB was perfectly within his rights to drive his own race, and it was up to Seb to get by him cleanly (which he managed to do in later stints, albeit with a greater tyre advantage).

I give it an 8 (not enough John Button for a 10)...

6 for me - I personally don't like races where the faster driver can't get past the slower car in front without the guy in front doing anything extra-ordinary. Also, not a good race from the championship perspective with Alonso falling behind yet again.

Liked it from a tyre strategy point of view (2 stops vs 3 stops) with Kimi and Webber really getting into the mix of things from nowhere. Could have been better if RoGro was in the mix of things (without the Button incident and drive through), because I'm sure we would have seen him make a couple of late lunges on Vettel.

10, all 10s are reserved for Lewis wins! I found it very exciting to watch and even had a heart attack thanks to Rosberg blowing up!
I wasn't too sure if I should laugh at the possible sarcasm LOL, or cry with despair at the probable sincerity :bawl:

Clearly, totally subjective analysis is not the sole prerogative of the knuckle-dragging, Premier League football fans!

Hamilton driving a very Vettel-esque race gets 10 from, I presume, the same people who would have:
1 - de-cried a genuine and 'original' Vettel victory as boring
2 - threatened to never watch F1 again
3 - made vague accusations about Pirelli making tyres to suit RBR
4 - only scored the race ..... three
and 5 - then had a rant about the BBC, just for good measure!

BTW, been a very average season so far and this was a very average 6.

There are some very bitter people on here

(p.s. Josh, I didn't take any offence at any of your posts - all if good :))

Back
Top Bottom