Out of Ten - 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
Mephistopheles Red Bull has a lot of downforce and uses it. Historically they are quick in the twisty stuff, the fast turns and are dead slow on the straights. They gear for being slow and seldom allow for having to overtake in DRS zones.

I wasn't quick enough, was I?
I'll have to adjust my own downforce and gearing. :(

Last edited:
I can't help think that the addition of a point or two to the average score may be in part due to the pleasure of seeing Hamilton take his first win for Merc as much as it was for the race. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just an observation.

The most popular British driver winning a race influencing the enjoyment of the British public? Say it ain't so.

(note: this is meant lightheartedly)

Probably, deffo true in gethinceri case :). It wasn't a runaway victory though so that's why I gave it extra. Only battles for the lead and it changing gets a 10 from me.

- Position changes
- Top 3 finishers positions different to top 3 starters positions
- Good for the championship
- 3 different teams on podium
- Top notch marshalling
- Quality defending and overtaking, few but good
- Fire
- Uncertainty without being ludicrous

Im more inclined to question why some low scores. What more do people want from a GP?

Last edited:
A proper fight for first place? Let's face it, Hamilton didn't have to fight Vettel much after the first corner.

Or maybe their favorite driver just didn't win :(

I know I know... You didn't have to take it personal.

But your point #2: only 1 top 3 finisher was different than the top 3 which started the race (unless you meant positions)
And fire? Really?

I did mean positions yeah. Fire was tongue in cheek, I've seen that mentioned several times in the past as a reason for a good race and thought wtf! Still it had plenty going for it apart from a real lead change. I would have scored the same if any other driver apart from Vettel won in the same way. And that's purely because I'm delighted the championship has closed up slightly.

Oh right, you had me thinking wtf there LOL

Buuut yeah if Vettel had done the same it would have been a shit race? I thought so. Too obvious really.

It really is hard trying to judge the quality of a race when only seeing it live on dogy feeds that crash or stall every few minutes and then suffering the hatchet job of a Beeb highlight show. However, I'll try.

First and foremost a superb drive by Hamilton. Race maintains a 10 score at the start.

Poor stewards decision re. Grosjean. His spacial awareness problem still in evidence as his excellent start required him to use his mirrors more than he should but his clash with Button should have incurred the penalty since he clearly caused the collision by not appreciating how much space he took up and kept his place by a gross shortcut. That deserved a penalty. His "4 wheels off the track" pass on Massa did not since the in car shot shows that he clearly jigged right to avoid colliding with Massa. Other drivers including Vettel were routinely going outside track limits to preserve track position without even a caution from race control. Minus 2 thanks to the stewards and race control.

I can't agree that we haven't seen the "head to head" between Seb and Lewis. At the start Lewis got the better run off the line but Seb's aggression on Grosjean was verging on naughty and throughout the race he created his problems for himself. The RBR has the handling that is necessary for the passing in the corners that Lewis pulled of so I don't buy the "held up" by Button jazz. He should have been able to pull that off. I enjoyed watching him battle with Kimi and locking up his front left lap after lap trying to get in a position to pass. I also enjoyed Kimi showing his class by out thinking and out racing the young German. Okay so not an overtaking fest' but really good, tense fighting and tyres at last allowing the top teams to push their cars. That gets a plus 2.

Ferrari? WTF? A real drag not seeing Alonso and Massa in the mix at the front. Sauber and Force India going backwards as well. struggling. It seems the tyres are still dictating who can use them and who cannot. That erases 1 of the 2 points I just gave!

Here comes the "big but" which I'm sorry to say rubs out another 2 points. The safety measures implemented re. pit stops have nothing to do with what causes pit lane mistakes. The incident with the unfortunate cameraman was a consequence of the speed at which the work on the car was done and its release from the pit. However, since we have to suffer watching pit stops it would be nice to see some drama. There wasn't any at all. I'm sure that contributed to a general feeling of boredom but I can't yet put my finger on the other contributory factors. Boredom factor then minus 2.

Total Fender's Score is: 7

Last edited:
Oh right, you had me thinking wtf there LOL

Buuut yeah if Vettel had done the same it would have been a shit race? I thought so. Too obvious really.

Not shit, but 7 instead of 9 due to the championship slowly drifting away. I want it to go to the last race, whoever is leading!

Not shit, but 7 instead of 9 due to the championship slowly drifting away. I want it to go to the last race, whoever is leading!

Oh yes me too! To be honest I would have voted higher if Alonso had finished in front of Vettel :)
Oh and by the way - that post you quoted really didn't come out the way I intended it to (after reading it again) so please don't take it too harsh or anything!

From a biased perspective I'd give it a 10, but from a neutral point of view it's a 7, once Hamilton had got past Button and Vettel failed to do so for a long time, it was always Hamilton's race to lose from that point onwards, there was never a close battle for the lead but there was some great battles down the field, for once DRS was used properly as it allowed cars to get close without making overtaking a foregone conclusion

Back
Top Bottom