Olympic games

F1Brits_90

World Champion
The Paris Olympics starts on Friday, and for the first time, the opening ceremony will not take place in the Olympic stadium, which would have been the Stade de France. Instead, the ceremony will unfold along the Seine River with apparantly upto 600,000 watching, which they say will be offering a unique spectacle, so that will be intriguing to witness. but as much as i love the Olympics, how it brings the country together for those 2 weeks & i have very fond memories of my trip to see Usain Bolt at the olympic stadium in 2012.

i was wondering last night reading a very interesting article
Screenshot 2024-07-23 232648.webp

I had already thought the last few days whether it's too dramatic to say are the Olympics are dying. After the heights of Sydney 2000, Beijing 2008, and London 2012, it seems to be on an alarming decline. Rio was quite underwhelming compared to London, where the demand was so high that even the morning athletics sessions sold out. Yet, four years later in Rio, they struggled to sell tickets for the athletics evening sessions. Now, Paris 2024, LA 2028, and Brisbane 2032 have all won unopposed, as fewer & fewer countries seem willing to stump up the cost of hosting the games. that now go into the tens of billions

I'm not well-versed in the political aspects, but it seems that some responsibility lies with the IOC and its president, whose tenure appears to be marked by self-sabotage. The sale of UK broadcasting rights from the BBC to Discovery+/Eurosport and the reduction of BBC's coverage from 3000 hours to 250 hours seem like a betrayal of the Olympic spirit. How can we inspire the next generation if the pursuit of profit results in 90% of the coverage not being free to air?. in the same Euros & World Cup wouldnt be the same if all of sudden if it was on Sky Sports

i wonder what the future Olympics will look like in 2036, considering that traditional countries where there is a historical fanbase may not be able to afford it or refuse to host, & viewership potentially declining due to pay TV. Will the Olympics lose its status as the crown jewel, & If the IOC continues to sell to the highest bidder, will we see future host selections akin to the Qatar World Cup scenario, where the event becomes a platform for those with an agenda, which media describe as sportswashing.

Last edited:
I only watch events where GB participate, no GB athletes I switch channels , the question is how many GB athletes will be in the BBC's 250 hours?
The cost of staging the games is now so high that ticket prices will exclude any country that isn't in the G9 as the average person can't afford one, who gets the money from the broadcasting rights and is it redistributed and where. Probably goes to underdeveloped countries to improve facilities for their athletes and 80 to 90% disappears into corrupt ministers pockets who just happen to be IOC members.

The sale of UK broadcasting rights from the BBC to Discovery+/Eurosport and the reduction of BBC's coverage from 3000 hours to 250 hours
It was the sale of the European broadcasting rights to Discovery+ wasn't it? The BBC then purchase hours from Discovery.

Obviously the 1.3 billion Euros the IOC got from Discovery for 5 Olympics was worth more than the total bids from European national broadcasters when added up over 5 Olympics.

But would it have been taking inflation into account over 5 Olympics or 20 years, half of the Olympic committee would be dead or gone by then

Yes cider_and_toast it was a pan european deal where the IOC sold the Broadcasting rights to discovery + & i dont doubt that discovery blew everyone out of the water & maybe even double or triple what was offered. the President has said its a great deal because all this money "supposedly" means that it can go back into the grassroots of these olympic sports & countries. but you just have to talk to ECB no point in having all this money & great facilities if nobody watching on tv & you have to make 4th competition like the hundred to get back a generation you prioritised profit over, back in engaged

Dartman interesting that 4 consecutive bid today was just won unopposed. for me theyve got to find a way to make these cheaper. just look at the recent euros, & the next 1. all in pre existing stadiums. no building costs. & as they saying goes more money more problems. we dont want olympics to be political football, where its in the middle east to empty stadiums or like 2014 a show of who knows from Putin

The Olympics costing too much to host is not a new thing. Montreal was absolutely skint after the 1976 Olympics, so much so that they had to auction off everything they could to try and get as much money back as the could. They never had enough money to compete the full design of the Olympic Stadium which wasn't finally finished until 1987 and it wasn't finally fully paid for until 2006.

true cider_and_toast but there has been a shift in very recent history. i remember when london successfully bid it was 5 different bids & huge process, bidders had to do a huge speech to convince the IOC they should win. but its almost turned on its head & its now the IOC doing a huge speech to convinces the countries they should be the host

Interesting that the route that starts away from the French border is unaffected but the routes from the French border are buggered. This was designed to disrupt as many people coming into France as possible but do less damage to the French themselves.

Make of that what you will.

Somehow the spectacular was drowned out by the rain pissing down on Macron's parade, an absolute failure, the terrorists or saboteurs wasted their time, probably saved many from absolute boredom

Last edited:
But it's spectacular and breathtaking, apparently.

View attachment 17382
french answering question why everyone has done it in the stadium since 1896

Claire baldings words aged quite well "without any rehearsals, this Opening Ceremony could be interesting" & we all know what a brit means when something is described as interesting. its going to be 💩

just watching it now. i want to why on earth why have all the athletes come out straight away. what happened to the show for an hour & bit. then athletes parade come in. its carnage

It's worth noting that when the BBC talk about 250 hours of coverage they don't actually mean sport coverage they actually mean hours when an Olympic program is broadcast.

90 percent of that 250 hours is studio bound bollocks talking. If we take the morning of day 1 as an example, I started watching at around 8:30. We had the first half of the men's hockey, 5 minutes of the first game of the men's badminton doubles, the women's 3m synchro board live and complete, highlights of the swimming heats mostly only involving GB swimmers, highlights of the rowing heats only involving GB rowers and a few minutes of gymnastics highlights.

So, in the first 4 hours on the main channel we were treated to only one event live and no other full coverage of any other event.

Given that any broadcaster can deliver as much studio bound chat as they want, it shows just how little coverage the BBC actually gets out of Discovery. It's probably identical to the channel 4 F1 highlights deal where the can only show a maximum of 1 hour of actual race coverage which they embed into a 2 and a half hour race program.

I'd be shocked if the BBC had anything more than about 5 hours a day of actual live action broadcast.

Back
Top Bottom