Olympic games

I watched one of our female boxers today run rings around her opponent (who was a world champion and the favourite). In the third round the favourite landed about 4 hits while the British girl landed 3 times that many at least and some of them were right on the button. How she lost was beyond me and the commentary team.

The boxing was so much better when they registered hits and it was a clear score. Now, how they decide is anyone's guess.
ive not heard richie Woodhall as furious on the 5 live boxing podcast. he was saying that irish guy lost using the same tactics that rosie Eccles lost.

im baffled as where the judges even watching. the referee warned her to engage took a point off & even then 2 judges gave it the wrong way

1722587203178.webp

Heroics?

He lost a tennis match 🤦‍♂️

It is amazing the value we place on entertainment isn't it, especially in the West. My wife has been making me watch various sports I have no interest in, especially the simonebilestics, sorry, the gymnastics. Now I can see a need to be able to run, you might need get somewhere quickly, cycle, you might need to get somewhere more quickly, or swim, there may be water in the way. But what possible application there is for being able to do a triple fandango with a double pepperoni pizza I have no clue.

But then football was developed to keep the proletariat busy, and not drink to excess, after they had finished work on a Saturday morning, and before church on a Sunday. I think it still, pretty much, fulfills the same role today, but now we pay people millions to do it. Time to bring back the maximum wage I say, bloody Jimmy Hill!

View attachment 17408

Heroics?

He lost a tennis match 🤦‍♂️
this last week has been amazing to watch. he came to win from multiple match points in both 1st & 2nd rd. its heroics for him to even be there. hes 37, a metal hip & back surgery 2 months ago

he will go down on the list as the greatest british sportpeople we've ever had. embodiment of everything you hope for in a sportsperson. an absoulte warrior right to the right end. he never gave up. for him achieve almost everything in that tennis era is astonishing. i think he made every major final. & won every major Trophy bar Australian & French open

It is amazing the value we place on entertainment isn't it, especially in the West. My wife has been making me watch various sports I have no interest in, especially the simonebilestics, sorry, the gymnastics. Now I can see a need to be able to run, you might need get somewhere quickly, cycle, you might need to get somewhere more quickly, or swim, there may be water in the way. But what possible application there is for being able to do a triple fandango with a double pepperoni pizza I have no clue.

But then football was developed to keep the proletariat busy, and not drink to excess, after they had finished work on a Saturday morning, and before church on a Sunday. I think it still, pretty much, fulfills the same role today, but now we pay people millions to do it. Time to bring back the maximum wage I say, bloody Jimmy Hill!
ive not watched the gymnastics since probally tokyo but what they can do on a beam is amazing. i struggle to walk across it & their doing somersaults

on the swimming medleys why do they all have to do the same stroke. how good would it be to have the jeopardy. USA got a huge lead but they have to do breaststroke on the final leg & the french chasing them down with freestyle

the curse is broken ive finally seen won us win a gold medal live 🎉🎉🎉

as until now because either theyve got silver, i was out at the time or watching andy murray. & yet id seen 7 french golds. yesterday was the worst when bmx woman won every heat by country mile & lost the final

what drama at the end of road race & Remco after getting a puncture just shouting " just get me a bike, any bike, i dont care"
Screenshot_20240803_162522_BBC iPlayer.webp

what a picture of Remco winning the gold medal & i think the 1st man to win both road & TT golds in the same olympics & not since a woman did it at sydney 2000

-hxce97.webp

Why are we so rubbish at Olympic chucking things?

In the entire history of the Olympic chucking events, men and women combined, we've only won 10 medals and 8 of those have come in the Javelin including our only gold. We've only won a single medal in the discus and one in the shot put. We've never won anything in the hammer.

Across the board, our historical performance in field events is poor with the possible exception of the Long Jump.

It's very odd.

Historically we had a set of glory years in the 800 and 1500 metres in the 80's Coe, Ovett, Cram, then later Kelly Holmes, Daley Thomson and Denise Lewis, Jessica Ennis in the heptathlon, then Mo Farrah in long distance.
For some reason our Caribbean and African ethnic athletes don't seem to be a quick as American or Caribbean born athletes are, I wonder if this is to do with a lack of school playing fields that were sold off by inner city councils in the 60's and 70's for a quick profit, future natural athletes are found in schools with playing fields and backing from teachers who believe in winning.

For some reason our Caribbean and African ethnic athletes don't seem to be a quick as American or Caribbean born athletes are, I wonder if this is to do with a lack of school playing fields that were sold off by inner city councils in the 60's and 70's for a quick profit
I genuinely have absolutely no idea how to respond to this?

:facepalm:

you make a good point cider_and_toast since lottery funding. it feels like every sport has improved apart from track & field. i was looking mo farah has is still responsible for 4 of our last 6 gold medals on the track.

of other 2. i think Keeley Hodgsinkin could be 1st female gold medalist since jess ennis 12 yrs ago & 7th in the last 50 years. Greg Rutherford was the 1st field winner since Jonathan Edwards. pre war we only won a field gold in 1964, 1984, 2000, 2012

Track and field has always been difficult, it has historically been one of the biggest areas of drug abuse and the UK tend mainly to obey rules, there have been a few cases where borderline proof has been overcome with brown envelopes, but the UK doesn't have those hidden funds.
Previous to drugs in the amateur days many certain countries had members of the armed forces who did nothing but compete for their countries.
I remember way back in the late 60's when Rodney Pattisson and Ian MacDonald-Smith won the Flying Dutchman we were making fittings out of titanium billets in HMS Dolphin workshops as a voluntary task as the commercial options were out of the their price range, Ian was a submariner and the number of Tiffs after supper in the workshops machining hand finishing and polishing deck fittings to the lightest possible finish will never be seen again to enable them to have the best boat to win on a pure amateur basis.

1500m built up by everyone as kerr v ingerbritsen. 1 got 2nd & 1 got nothing 😄 i wonder if kerr was so focused on that believing everyone else was fighting for bronze & didnt go with American

Back
Top Bottom