Olympic games

you know im delighted that thomas Bach reign is coming to an end because he has been absolute disaster & then had the cheek to talk about olympic values, when he has betrayed every single one 1 by 1 with that tv deal

Something springs to mind though, I'm confused as to how he was able to sell the TV deal for the whole of Europe? The individual European broadcasters must have previously agreed to buy the coverage as a block which enabled it to be sold as a block.

I'm Confused by the IOC's decision, as our 'crown jewels' legislation should technically make such actions illegal, similar to how Sky Sports is barred from bidding for the World Cup or the Olympics. However, from what I've read. the BBC was just as astonished as everyone else, having submitted their bid in the expectation of no competition, given that ITV does not bid & Channel 4 holds the Paralympics rights.

but im guessing there are billions of reasons which made the IOC find a loophole

Last edited:
Further to the conversation, this makes a bit more sense. The Discovery deal (1.3bn) was only up to this Olympics. Clearly it's not exactly been a stunning success because when the deal last came up the winner was a joint bid between Discovery Plus and crucially the European Broadcasting Union. The EBU will control the free to air rights for every summer and winter Olympics from 2026 to 2032

The EBU says this will mean 200 hours of free to air Olympics coverage for summer Olympics and 100 hours for the Winter games. You can bet those figures are actual sports coverage and not 195 hours of Claire Balding pretending to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every single sport and 5 hours of highlights.

Of course, this good news and Discovery's reduction in influence on the European rights would probably have nothing to do with the fact that the next two Olympics are to be held in Los Angeles -7 hours behind GMT and Brisbane +10 hours ahead of GMT which means all the big live finals will take place in the middle of the night European Time.

Of course, this good news and Discovery's reduction in influence on the European rights would probably have nothing to do with the fact that the next two Olympics are to be held in Los Angeles -7 behind GMT and Brisbane+10 hours ahead of GMT which means all the big live finals will take place in the middle of the night European Time.
i have no doubt they get terrible viewing figures. BBC get 3 times the viewing figures than ITV for the world cup & euros finals.

yes Los Angeles will be absolute washout prime sessions will be 2am - 6am although Brisbane not to bad 9am - 1pm

gutted for josh Tarling. if youve given your best that easier to deal with but for a puncture to cost you a potential silver medal has got to hurt. although if he's this good at 20. he has very bright future & Los Angeles will be his time

I see Mel Brooks helped design the riding helmets for the time trial.

1722108484743.webp

these people its by long way the highest profile thing they will ever do. i cant imagine having that gold medal moment having an asterix of it wasnt a proper triathlon

what they should do as a last resort & cant believe they havent thought of it. use the swimming pool. everyone covers the 1500m in the pool. then you go to start of bike course & you set people off according to the gaps like a road race time trial

I think there's too many competitors to use a pool, however there are quite a few lakes where swimming takes place near Paris and a course back to Paris for the cycle part, then the final running taking place on the original course.

i was thinking like heptahlon or decathlon you do it in heats in the 50m pool. you could do it in 6 heats. use the timing facilities & then set them off use the same gapa

The problem with that plan F1Brits_90 is that the triathlon is an endurance event, and the transition between disciplines is as much a part of the event as the swimming, running, or cycling is. The simple answer is not not have planned the swimming in what is effectively a public sewer, but we are where we are and I suspect a duathlon will be the only solution.

The problem with that plan F1Brits_90 is that the triathlon is an endurance event, and the transition between disciplines is as much a part of the event as the swimming, running, or cycling is. The simple answer is not not have planned the swimming in what is effectively a public sewer, but we are where we are and I suspect a duathlon will be the only solution.
yeah neither are ideal but if your a weak swimmer. that 45-60 secs you dont Need to close down. & the gold will always be asterixed

its problematic but at least all 3 disciplines are completed.

Last edited:
Get in Andy. even in his fairwell tournament andy murray still takes us through the rollercoaster of emotions. again 1 point from retirement, finds a way to take the victory.

s6uza7.webp

I can't stand sports where it's down to subjective judges decisions because it's clear that the scoring to some extent is based on the flag. Sometimes this benefits Team GB and sometimes it doesn't but it's clear there is no consistency.

I watched one of our female boxers today run rings around her opponent (who was a world champion and the favourite). In the third round the favourite landed about 4 hits while the British girl landed 3 times that many at least and some of them were right on the button. How she lost was beyond me and the commentary team.

The boxing was so much better when they registered hits and it was a clear score. Now, how they decide is anyone's guess.

The gymnastics is just as bad. Not helped by the total inability of the commentary team to explain why those scores were given. We viewers aren't clued up enough to know how many 10ths you lose for a bent knee or a slight over step.

Back
Top Bottom