Michael Schumacher

The Vettel thread surprised me as such that when I searched for a Schumacher thread, I could not find one. So I propose this thread for Schumacher because regardless of your opinion whether his return is succesful or not, I think we can all agree that there's always something to talk about whether he's had a good or bad race.
Historical Discussion may be allowed on the thread as long as it's on topic.
Enjoy! :)

Not much change, then. Still 4-tenths off Rosberg when it matters most...but a rather costly 4-tenths this time given the tight field spread.

I still don't see why they're paying him three times more than Rosberg to qualify the car poorly.

I have posted this in the British GP weekend discussion thread aswell, he missed out by less than a tenth to make get through in Q3, not only that, he went and did his laps earlier than those infront, the track conditions got much better after he finished his lap.

...he missed out by less than a tenth to make get through in Q3, not only that, he went and did his laps earlier than those infront....

But with all due respect, he's getting paid like a King and should be able to put in a time better than Saubers, Force Indias and Maldonado. I don't expect him to put up Red Bull and Ferrari type times...but I do expect the highest paid driver (or the second highest paid driver) on the grid to be "game ready" consistently.

Respectfully Ray, see the point about Mercs money and possible longer term aims
I understand your point of view but i'm not sure whether or not the majority of the board members back in Stuttgart share it. They wrote the cheque during the excitement of December 2009...right after buying out champions Brawns...but there's a reasonable probability that some of them have wondered (or are wondering) if they've gotten their money's worth.

Perhaps they're 'branding' but not going about it the right way? I'd do it differently. I'd spend half of Schumacher's reputed 30 Million per year on getting non-driving talent to make the car go faster. I'd also get rid of Nick Fry who replaced David Richards after Honda bought into BAR about 8 or so years ago.

Look at the standings: http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/

Schumacher has had one-and-a-half seasons now. Plenty of time to get rid of the "rust". He's behind both Renault drivers in the standings in10th...and barely in front of Kobayahsi who's GP he helped ruin. That's not what you call delivering. It would be fine for a lower paid driver who'd signed a Number 2 contract...but that's not what Mercedes GP contracted him as.

I think the rust has gone, the others are just better in better cars, Schumacher drove brilliantly today, he should/would have been in the top 6 apart from a stupid crash with Kobayashi.

As far as I can remember the parameters when Schumacher signed for Mercedes were:

Year 1. Settling back in, building up to being on the podium towards the latter part of the season.
Year 2. Podiums on a more regular basis, the occasional win.
Year 3. WDC.

After 9 of 19 races in year 2 he is not up to where he should have been at this time in year 1. Mercedes should be asking for most of their money back.

As far as I can remember the parameters when Schumacher signed for Mercedes were:

Year 1. Settling back in, building up to being on the podium towards the latter part of the season.
Year 2. Podiums on a more regular basis, the occasional win.
Year 3. WDC.

After 9 of 19 races in year 2 he is not up to where he should have been at this time in year 1. Mercedes should be asking for most of their money back.

The Mercedes isn't fast enough to be on the podium, though...

The Mercedes isn't fast enough to be on the podium, though...

He's not beating Rosberg though...

I think the rust has gone, the others are just better in better cars, Schumacher drove brilliantly today, he should/would have been in the top 6 apart from a stupid crash with Kobayashi.

When does hitting other people cease to become an unfortunate coincidence?

I'm not saying it is, he has always been like that though, he was at fault for the crash and he only has himself to blame.

I'm not saying it is, he has always been like that though, he was at fault for the crash and he only has himself to blame.

Its too often. He's becoming a caricature of all his worst traits from his first career. Its not that I don't understand what he's doing there, its just that I don't agree.

He was faster than Rosberg in Sunday, he had a great race in my opinion bar the incident with Kobayashi, if that didn't happen I think he would have been at least in the top 5 as his drive was strong.

He was on par with Rosberg on points recently, ahead on countback, with a little more luck I think he would be much further ahead, he has been beating Rosberg a lot this season, only thing is he's in more incidents.

I think he has done better than last season, if he cuts out the incidents he would be in a much better position but shit happens. Don't remember anyone saying after Monaco or Canada when Hamilton was in incidents that Button was outclassing him...

Don't know why people are expecting podiums or race wins, the cars not there, even Rosberg's struggling (unlike last season) that must be saying something.

If the cars not on par with the other top 3 (4 at the start due to Renault) how on earth do you expect podiums or race wins?

Micheal Schumacher has exclaimed today that F1 would be more competitive with a lift on the in season testing ban. Does he mean Micheal Schumacher would be more competitive with a lift on the in season testing ban?

Micheal Schumacher has exclaimed today that F1 would be more competitive with a lift on the in season testing ban. Does he mean Micheal Schumacher would be more competitive with a lift on the in season testing ban?

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Michael, I respect everything you've done for the sport and you were an amazing driver, a real inspiration to all the kids out there. My answer to you is yes.[/EJ]

Ouch!

Interesting to see Schuey getting a really good hiding from Nico in front of all his home fans. Brawn and Haug say Nico extracted the maximum from the car, out-qualifying a bemused Button...so, even if Shumi didn't make his last corner mistake, he'd still be about 4 or 5 or 6 tenths off Rosberg.

Looks like the pressure got to him...and to be more than 1 second off is rather dismal.

This is Michael's take on Q3.

Michael's result didn't match expectations when he qualified tenth this afternoon: “Already this morning, the car was not the one I had in my hands up to the first run in P3. It felt like I was just sliding around out there and the balance wasn’t great. We had a KERS problem this morning, which we thought explained the big gap to Nico, however in qualifying I was still nearly a second away and couldn’t have matched his time, so we have to analyse deeply what could be the reason for it. Obviously then, I tried to push even harder to compensate which led to a mistake in the last chicane on my last lap, probably costing me P8. We now have to see how we can improve for tomorrow, and I will certainly try to have a good start and a race as good as possible.”

Yea...as I said, the pressure got to him, causing an error...but even without it - as I said - he'd still be about half a second off Rosberg.

His only hope today is a 'lottery'. Rolling the dice on the conditions ... and/or hoping others bungle up in variable weather conditions.

Back
Top Bottom