Le Mans Le Mans and the WEC

Ermahgerd

WEC commits to hypercar rules from 2020/21 and reveals details

Aston Martin to build Valkyrie hypercar for new 2020/21 WEC rules

Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 14.00.23.png

Last edited:
Encouraging that as well as Aston, Toyota have committed to build a car to the new hypercar rules. Very positive news, even if there are some elements of the rules that I don't like - rather prescriptive, and having a single tyre supplier is disappointing.

Hopefully they can get at least two other manufacturers to follow suit!

Cars look very good. but very interesting seeing the times they are aiming for, 3:30 that's slower than LMP2 currently & would have you 27th on the grid today & potentially would be the slowest Le mans Pole since 2006

well I think McLaren will go to WEC but not yet from what ive read over the recent years I would say that we could be looking at maybe 2020 or 2021 le mans then a full season the next season in either 2021 or 2022

https://www.crash.net/le-mans/news/...ejzVyynRhLereODtkhFQQ6wodTS5DLG68tlYoKSIgCCkY

Last edited:
Ferrari were the other manufacturer involved in talks, the idea being that they already have a car in the LaFerrari that could provide the basis for a prototype. How much of the road car would actually survives the conversion for racing is a good question, though.

F1Brits_90 - the 3:30 target is an average race lap time I believe, which would put the hypercar pole somewhere in the low 3:20s, most likely. In any event the LMP2s can be slowed very easily since they all use a standard engine, and that's what I'd expect to happen.

Galahad apparently on the condition that at least 20 production models are created over a two-year period

The highlights of the technical details include a revised weight, lowered slightly to 1100kg and a changed power output of 750bhp in order for the LMP1 replacement category to reach 3m30s laps in race trim at Le Mans. The hybrid systems will not be mandatory, but those who choose to head down this route must not exceed 270bhp, with a GTE-based BoP system set to be applied in-season to keep the hybrid and non-hybrid machines close in performance.

.WEC finalises 'hyper sport' rules for 2020/21

It is indeed, but alas the least appetizing entry list for many a long year. Only 5 prototypes in P1, and one of the two Toyotas certain to win, plus only Ferrari, Porsche and Aston involved in GTE Pro with the withdrawal of Corvette and BMW and the retirement of the Ford GTs. Everyone's waiting for the new rules unfortunately.

For once, I might not stay up for this one.

but it is brilliant a week of from F1 & week off 1 team dominating. lets watch some Le mans great, oh :D
luis suarez GIF

but reading into it there's only so much you can get from reading as i only watch the Le mans, it looks more competitive to the naked eye than it has since 2017, as rebellion have won 2 races the 4 hours of shanghai & 6 hours of COTA. took pole at Spa. & also isnt this the final year of the toyota domination or have their rules been pushed back as well

interested in qualifying as i like the format although. all though it is pointless for LMP1 because the top 6 go into hyper pole. dont like that phrase already. but there only 5 LMP1 cars

Back
Top Bottom