Le Mans Le Mans and the WEC

As FB has pointed out, while on paper this is the first works Ferrari entry in the top class for 50 years the team is being managed by AF-Corse who have handled all of Ferrari's "works" GT cars for decades.

Still, the car is bloody gorgeous and it's not a Toyota so it's all good.

As FB has pointed out, while on paper this is the first works Ferrari entry in the top class for 50 years the team is being managed by AF-Corse who have handled all of Ferrari's "works" GT cars for decades.

Still, the car is bloody gorgeous and it's not a Toyota so it's all good.
you learn something new every day. i assumed at AF corse were a racing section of & funded by ferrari. as they have used all ferrari ex F1, test or academy drivers

will be interesting to see toyota in this race because they yet to win le mans pushing for 24hrs at the limit. because they knew they could go at 75% because either there racing themselves or a couple of laps ahead of Glickenhaus

Last edited:
you learn something new every day. i assumed at AF corse were a racing section of & funded by ferrari.
After Enzo Ferrari flounced out of Sports Car racing (because he couldn't win it) to concentrate on F1, they kept a toe in the water by building sports cars for private entries.

Enzo Ferrari and Colin Chapman were chips off the same block. Chapman flounced out of Le Mans in the early 60's when he felt he'd been cheated out of a potential win over a last minute rule change. Chapman then convinced himself that Ford would ask him to design their Le Mans entry but they went with Shelby instead. In a fit of anger Chapman designed his own Sports Car. It was utterly terrible.

Toyota unhappy they arent allowed to canter to victory & for the 1st time in a long while they have to fight for the win

just me. but im quite glad about this because ive always thought it was unfair that. you could be put a minute further behind for no reason. by ending up behind a different safety car & has broken up so many great battles up & down the classes

I'm a bit mixed on this one.

I think there's pro's and con's to both options.

The big one with a single safety car is what happens in the last few laps of the race when the car in second place and almost a lap behind suddenly gains when the other car in their team breaks down in the middle of the track and can't be recovered without a safety car. All of a sudden, the lead car after 24 hours of hard work suddenly finds it's lost all that advantage.

I think they should have a split option. I know it sounds daft but they could have the single safety car option for the first 12 hours and the multiple safety car option for the remaining 12 hours.

That way it suits the opening part of the race when the cars aren't too far apart and the late stages of the race when they have more to lose with the single car.

I think they should have a split option. I know it sounds daft but they could have the single safety car option for the first 12 hours and the multiple safety car option for the remaining 12 hours.

That way it suits the opening part of the race when the cars aren't too far apart and the late stages of the race when they have more to lose with the single car.
thats a good idea. weirdly this is where a VSC situation could work in the those last 6-8 hours. then multiple safety cars as last resort

The multiple safety car is as much about safety at the restart. A group of 20 F1 drivers can barely manage a safe restart behind a safety car, and the cars are of similar performance. Imagine 62 cars, with huge performance differences, all trying to occupy the same piece of track at one time to gain track position. It would be carnage.

I hadn't clicked on the link and read that they were going to a single safety car this year. We shall see if they can restart without crashing in to each other.

as it if it was eventual enough looks as if we have have thunderstorm warning in era until monday morning according accuweather & a few points where they are forecasting a few showers similar to the the 1 they had 2 hours before the race start.

if they turn up its even more up for grabs than it is. as listening to the pundits there are alot of question marks on reliability for lot of drivers out there

things are going to different. no world feed commentary it seems during the day. so martin haven the almost voice of Le mans. its limited to the over night commentary

it looks good leigh diffey is good from indycar & alex Jacques very good from F2 & Channel 4 F1, of course Anthony Davidson. but it is a shame no familiar voices

i can't remember a opening lap as eventual as that. jack aitken crashing within 90secs on a damp track limping home on 3 wheels & then toyota from 3rd to take the lead

Back
Top Bottom