Le Mans Le Mans and the WEC

I am really excited to see how the Ferrari 499P gets on in WEC. It looks fantastic and I can't wait to see it go head to head with Toyota, Peugeot, Cadillac and Porsche!

FERRARI_LMH.jpeg

Yeah, Toyota had next to no compition. The only time that someone was really kicking their ass was Glickenhaus at Monza.

In other news, the GTE PRO battle was absolutely thrilling! What a crazy dynamic the race had. I can't believe that AF Corsa and Ferrari held that together. What a race and year for them winning the last race and last championship for GTE PRO.

its a shame but understandable because i think its been a brilliant series full of brilliant drivers just in 2022 we had, Antonio Felix da Costa, Robert Kubica, Sébastien Ogier, Esteban Gutierrez, Nyck de Vries, Jack Aitken, Sophia Flörsch & Sébastien Bourdais & did rescue le mans's normal 1 horse race.

but then this quote makes sense because the fact that LMP2 was such a success shows what a disaster LMP1 was. i dread to think how many competitive Le mans there have been in last 20 years. were 2 different manufacturers have compete for the overall victory

“If manufacturers push the grid up to 20 or 25 cars in the top class, there will not be a lot of room left for the others.

well just caught the final half hour of the 1000 miles of sebring (although why it was timed race is confusing). as the saying goes much as things change they stay the same,
2022 Le Mans - Toyota 1-2,
Final race of the LMP era - Toyota 1-2
2022 WEC Championship - Toyota 1-2

so after the build up to a hugely exciting hypercar era. with loads of new hypercar manufacturers to take on Toyota. Ferrari, Peugeot, Cadillac, Porsche works & privateer entries
1st race of 2023 - yep Toyota 1-2

nice to see its not ferrari F1 that fall apart its just Ferrari in general as did that in WEC, today at sebring The #50 Ferrari 499P that Antonio Fuoco had qualified on pole position led the action early on, but a decision by the Italian manufacturer to bring both its cars to the pits under a safety car in the 1st hour backfired, dropping them into the middle of the Hypercar pack.

Last edited:
its the Centenary 24 Hours of Le Mans taking place this weekend in the week break of F1. always a great event & should be cracker this as we might have a race on this year. in the top tier competing for the win we have 16 cars, 5 different major constructors. must be some kind of record in recent years where we are used to audi 2000 - 2014 (excluding 03 & 09) & toyota 2018 - 2022 have race sown up before theyve turned a wheel

we are down to only 3 categories this year, no GT Pro Category any more instead the AM category has swallowed that up. & because of that alot the big names that raced in GT Pro have moved to LMP2 & Hypercar. nice to have some quality drivers, in those contenders we have, plenty of ex f1 experience including a world champion, 9 former le mans winners, a few formula E champions & maybe 2 of the best american motorsport drivers there has been.

but we do have a fascinating garage 56 which is a NASCAR hybrid, Jenson Button, Jimmie Johnson & Mike Rockenfeller competiting. from what ive read its a modified version of the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Its systems & components are mostly unchanged from the car that competes in the NASCAR Cup Series. but of course its has headlights & taillights because of the need for night time racing, & theyve added carbon brake discs & specially designed Goodyear tyres for competiveness

Screenshot_20230606_000311_Samsung Internet.jpg

yeah as it says components are mostly unchanged from the car that competes in the NASCAR Cup Series its got to be a shock to it when it has to turn left. is this why jenson raced in as 1 off in the cup series at Circuit of the Americas

although the last time WEC were at COTA in 2020. the slowest qualifying lap was still 6 seconds quicker than the pole in nascar in March

the results of qualifying & those going to Hyperpole tomorrow. ive never know Le mans so close. 8 tenths between the top 8 in Hypercar Hyperpole. Peugeot are seemingly very disappointed to only be 10th & 11th a few seconds of the pace. 6 tenths between those competing LMP2 Hyperpole & GT am a bit further away but still quite tight 1.3 seconds between those taking part in GT am hyperpole

we have a race on our hands. its been a very long time since i could say that at le mans

Back
Top Bottom