Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which parts?

Ron Dennis was the team principal, he gave a legal instruction to Hamilton. Hamilton disobeyed.

If that makes him a good team player then I obviously don't understand something around here.

Ha ha. An obvious mistake from Gary Anderson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18763819

ROFL
I think he was misquoted. I heard him say it at the gp. he said lewis is better at driving round the problem. I believe they may have changed the quote now.

Im not sure I agree with his sentiments though. he is a big Button fan and wants his problems sorting out. Would it help Lewis? ..Maybe, maybe not. But whatever they're doing now is moving Lewis backwards and jenson is a bit happier with the car. So instead of developing a car Lewis was getting results with and leading the championship theyve made Button comfortable and brought them closer together 8th and 10th.
Maybe its all a cunning plan by Button to send Mclaren in the wrong direction with design, get Lewis so annoyed he leaves, and then he has Mclaren to himself. Before anyone gets hot under the collar,...I jest. That said I wasnt impressed with Button holding lewis up and letting all other manor of cars breeze past him. What was that all about??

just got this from the skysports website.make of it what you will.

In the absence of any other convincing explanation for why they've retreated into a midfield wilderness, one theory worth peddling is that the team took a wrong turn when Button lurched into crisis mode after Bahrain, taking a misguiding lead from a driver whose technical feedback they came to rely upon and implicitly trust last season but whose precise style runs kilter to this year's instability born of the ban on exhaust-blowing diffusers. An unneverving line from Mark Hughes' latest column into the team's ongoing demise is that 'when Button suggested a new direction after Bahrain, the team did not question it'. Since then, driver and team have been racing up a dead end and even in Canada, when Hamilton triumphed, there was a tell-tale clue in Jenson's horror-show that McLaren were slowly becoming undone. Now it seems they've lost their way to the extent of losing all sense of direction.

it seems to me mclaren are far too focused on button they are ignoring what lewis wants.
they see button as the smarter driver so surely he knows what he's talking about when it comes to development,but this is leading them in the wrong direction,coz at the end of the day what lewis was doing was working,so they should have focused on that instead of trying to make button quicker.
i doubt they will change that approach tho,so i think they will persist with what jenson feels is the best direction to go in.

Where's my trumpet...?

This has been obvious to me for some time now and I only have second hand information and remote observation. How my sofa and it's lone occupant can produce better direction than a multi-million pound strategy and technology centre and a workforce of some of the smartest people in motor racing, is completely beyond me. I'm not even imagining it.

I reckon it's creative intelligence that they are missing. They are obviously very efficient and great at crunching numbers, but when it comes to using a bit of freestyle thinking, they are bloody useless.

You have to agree with some of what he says, not understanding the tyres and getting the best out of them, improving Jenson but compromising Lewis to meet in the middle(something Whitmarsh said they were trying to do a few weeks ago), and having a race that highlighted some week spots.But I'd go more with Hughes view that Mclaren have followed Button down a blind alley and dragged lewis along with them.

racecub I personally think Anderson has the nub of the matter, especially considering the tyre situation this year. If MKcLaren can work the tyres out and actually get a dry Friday to test their new parts properly, I can see them being back up near the front with both their drivers.

It seems to me that both sides might be right, in part. Anderson does seem to acknowledge that Mclaren have a wider problem with the car, which he traces back to the lack of a high nose, and which may well have been exacerbated by concentrating too much on trying to fix Button's issues without really understanding how to, while his analysis of the tyre problem seems to me to make a great deal of sense.

Much more likely are the points highlighted by Gary Anderson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18763819

They are not mutually exclusive by any means. Gary agrees with everything that I have said previously on the matter, apparently, and my comment only extends those observations further. I think all of the pundits have hit the nail on the head this time. They have just highlighted different parts and are a little behind some of us lot over here on CTA.

I assume you were responding to my post.

mod comment: can we please restrict the comments to the matter in hand, further off topic and unnecessary posts will be deleted.

Thank you.

Lewis is in the other car!! And until he was swiped off by maldonado following a brocken jack which put him near Maldonado, he was leading the championship. Thats despite all the errors from the team!! come on Jens!!! Get with it!!

Notice how the emphasis has suddenly shifted from Jenson’s slump to issues with the car. Diverting so much attention to Jenson’s issues was always bound to have a knock on effect. As you say, without that 14second pitstop and subsequent slash with Maldonado, Hamilton legitimately led the championship. Silverstone threw up a number of obstacles in Free Practice which prevented the car from realising its potential and it is obvious to me they are struggling more with setup around these unpredictable Pirellis rather than outright performance. Part proof lies in the significant difference in performance between the same set of tyres in Hamilton’s first and last stint. Also Hamilton admitted in Spain that he had to make some guesses with his setup and this suggests a lack of direction in certain areas. If they can reintroduce some stability, I’m sure Lewis at least will be back to competing with the guys at the top.

Perhaps the mindset of 'let's develop the car to Jenson and Lewis will drive around it' isn't working.
IMO Lewis is the bigger asset to McLaren because of his ability to drive around things (except Massa) so surely you should maximise the best asset & develop the car in Lewis's direction. Trouble is if they want the constructor's trophy they need both drivers to be scoring big points...bloody glad I'm not in charge of McLaren - what a headache!

Red Bull are making something work and I think they have a similar dynamic in that one driver is the best when everything is perfect, the other one is consistently great even when the car isn't.

What's their formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom