Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
No his getaway was poor, and it is likely that was not his fault. I think he could have made a lot better of the situation though. He went for the inside of the right harder which lost him the inside on the left hander which was the last corner in the sequence of turns. It was a corner by corner attempt to hold position but he would have been much better off making some different decisions. Rather than make himself wide and take control of the piece of racetrack he needed he made himself small and tried to sneak round the outside. It wasn't particularly good race craft. We all have off days though and there are a few drivers that we have seen hung out to dry like this before. Confidence plays a big part in these situations and Jenson is lacking some at the moment. I hope Silverstone is a turn around and gives him the boost he needs.

I don't disagree ExtremeNinja, I would add though, that when you have a poor getaway, there is usually someone alongside where you want to be, that is how it seemed from the overhead.

Anyway, good to see it was not a struggle to get to q3 this time!!

Yep. He certainly made some improvement. His troubles looked far from over but there is some slim encouragement. A breakthrough, soon? Let's hope so. This week wasn't it but perhaps he can see a glimmer of light.

As I said before the race, glass not full, but at least half full, rather than half empty. Now McLaren just need to design a jack that works, and we'll be well away!

this is where the difference between Button and Hamilton is evident. When the car is poor Lewis can drag it but Jenson is not as comfortable

Mclaren for some reason since they put the raised nose they seem to have lost performance ...Canada was a Lewis track but as Gary Anderson said ... Jenson's performance is a serious indication that Mclaren are behind Ferrari, Lotus , and Red Bull definitely and even Sauber in race pace

I have to agree with Gary if the Mclaren is good Jenson is closer the front but it was both guys had problems with their tyres yesterday

I don;t think Lewis would have won if the pit stop problem did not happen

Mclaren just don't seem to be put a clean trouble free weekend together for both drivers.....I wonder what Sam Michael is doing at the moment in the team

Quintessentially

Well probably right because he is part of the team and he is suppose to oversee these things and clearly has not resolved them

I've not known where a top team has had so much trouble in pit stops since Williams in the early 90s

I'm not sure why people are blaming the nose. They made a step forward with that upgrade. The problem is that it was the last significant upgrade and thier competitors have been piling them on. Red Bull seem to be spending about 20 billion on thier car for each race. The car hasn't lost performance, it has lost relative performance by way of other teams going forward. With all of the front teams so close as well, relative performance changes race by race. It's the constant upgrades that have made Red Bull the most consistently fast car. I'm not suprised that Ferrari want cost restrictions. Fizzy drinks are a much better market than supercar production to be in at the moment.

Basically, ExtremeNinja , teabagyokel is suggesting that Red Bull has been sailing a barge through the resource restriction agreement, and are spending money like there's no tomorrow! There have been murmurings of this from rival teams throughout 2011, and given your argument that red bull are "spending 20 billion" each race on their car, it's not hard to see why teams might jump to that conclusion!

I actually though Jenson's race was pretty poor. He had a pathetic start. Once again he couldn't make the tires last, being the very first driver to pit. He was 84 seconds behind Vettel on Lap 28 when Seb pitted. He was on for a single point with 1 1/2 laps to go, which was actually his saving grace, because he was never fighting for a meaningful position he trundled around and had a little bit of life left in the Pirelli's. On paper his P8 against a DNF looks decent, but that doesn't even begin to tell the story.

View attachment 4292

And don't even get me started on the delayed FOX coverage of this race. I forced myself to watch it after watching the SKY broadcast live, and it was downright abysmal. They cut out a full two laps of the 10 car battle behind Schumacher from laps 17-20 and rejoined just in time to see Senna sliding sideways down the track. When you edit out some of the best racing of the day, you've got a problem.

Jenson had another poor race yesterday , and I also found it curious when he said, " It's still a good result, but I had fun back there, that's the main thing, and the car felt good at times"......fun back there??

Keke, I like you also have to suffer when FOX broadcasts the next few F1 races, and their never ending commercials. During their last broadcast of the Canadian GP, I had conducted my own survey during the race....I found out that during a 2 hour broadcast, and a 70 lap race, that you lose 20 laps of on track action, because of 9 commercial breaks, being broadcasted anywhere between every 7 to 9 minutes.......it can make you>:( and:censored: crazy!!

The odd thing is that weren't Button and Hamilton supposed to be on the same setup? Yet if you look at the FIA sector speeds and fastest sector times it does not look like they had anywhere near the same.

In sector 1 Button had the fastest speed of the whole field yet one of the slowest times, whilst Hamilton was down the list on speed but much higher up the list on time. The same pretty well happens on the other two sectors as well. This seems to indicate that Button had a low downforce setup compared to Hamilton.

Anyone got any ideas why this should be if they were both said to be driving identical cars?

I believe the set up info was only down to suspension and nothing else as it was the suspension issues that were causing Jenson to degrade his tyres and not the downforce levels.

But still Bill Boddy don't let the facts get in the way of peoples little prejudices and fantasies , it is just not nice and they will only ridicule you for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom