Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's gone out of his way to avoid any major incidents this year and has generally looked patient and precise in most of the battles he's been involved in. Clash with Maldonado aside, it was a solid drive under very difficult circumstances and surely McLaren have now used up all their allocation of bad pitstops.

Much better drive by JB... clearly the McLaren were chewing through the tyres faster than other teams this weekend... LH... on track for another solid points haul, albeit likely reduced a couple of places as he was man-handling that rears-shot car around the last couple of laps... what I (we) don't know is the level of radio comms over those last laps (we didn't get anything on our coverage in the US)... after LH acknowledged the level of information he was getting in Canada... could a message of "don't fight Maldonado, think of capitalizing on SV not finishing" made a difference...

I actually though Jenson's race was pretty poor. He had a pathetic start. Once again he couldn't make the tires last, being the very first driver to pit. He was 84 seconds behind Vettel on Lap 28 when Seb pitted. He was on for a single point with 1 1/2 laps to go, which was actually his saving grace, because he was never fighting for a meaningful position he trundled around and had a little bit of life left in the Pirelli's. On paper his P8 against a DNF looks decent, but that doesn't even begin to tell the story.

macca.webp

And don't even get me started on the delayed FOX coverage of this race. I forced myself to watch it after watching the SKY broadcast live, and it was downright abysmal. They cut out a full two laps of the 10 car battle behind Schumacher from laps 17-20 and rejoined just in time to see Senna sliding sideways down the track. When you edit out some of the best racing of the day, you've got a problem.

The main difference was qualifying yesterday I think, Hamilton has the ability to eek out those extra few tenths from a car and four tenths was the difference between 2nd and 9th. In the race McLaren were slow full stop, but the fact Lewis qualified higher meant he was battling to stay on the podium and keep cars behind him rather than staring at the gear boxes of Force Indias.

A contributor but not the whole story. Jenson was consistently slow throughout the race whether in clean air or otherwise. We know his car could have gone faster. I didn't hear Webber making any excuses despite qualifying in 19th. In fact, how many drivers that started behind Jenson finished in front of him? A fair few, I think.

Well, if you can think of anything to elate him for other than finishing the race then please do let me know. and don't tar me as a hater either. You'll find my viewpoint is very objective on Jenson's recent performances. To say that they have been bellow par is not by any means a stretch of the imagination. "Certain posters". Tut tut. That's playground talk, RickD

Yes, but it does seem you, along with others, seem to slate him no matter what. As for his race, yes, it wasn't great, but with tyres that couldn't last more than a dozen or so laps (exageration maybe, but hey-ho) on either McLaren and having a start where he was doing ok until blocked out of turn 4 (?) by one Felipe Massa, he was always going to struggle.

I suppose at least he managed to finish the race and pick up some points, unlike his teammate, who decided to play dodgems with the one driver who was probably more agressive than him rather than pick up a hatfull of points.

Thanks Keke, as I said, turn 4 got blocked out by Massa, wich is what seriously hurt his race, although just before he also got squeezed by Alonso..

Without wanting to rile you up, he got outraced through a sequence of corners by Massa, Alonso and a number of others. It's hardly the fault of his competitors.

ExtremeNinja a tad harsh. It was not his finest race, by any measure, however, he is not the first McLaren driver to get a poor getaway this season. As I saw things, it was either back off or be in the wall, then he was on the back foot until things settled down.

As for the race, I believe that he was ahead of Schumacher for most of the race, and really got screwed by the safety car, as all the people he was racing were able to pit without penalty. I think he ended up around where he would have without the retirements. Not a great race, but not as bad as some he has had recently, and may go some way to restoring a little confidence, and provide a base to work from. Comprehensively outperformed by Lewis, clearly, but some cause for more optimism than the last few races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom