Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but it was obvious to me that Jenson was on high fuel, and on the option tyre, whereas Lewis was running a qualifying simulation.

I think it is stretching things a bit to try and read too much into this. Very interesting as an exercise though.

Well a few days ago I mentioned about how I thought Jenson's issues may be stalling McLaren's development a little as they have to focus some of their resources on sorting his problems.

It looks like BBC's Gary Anderson may agree with me.He says:-

"McLaren have not got anything new here - they say their next big change will be in Silverstone in two weeks' time.

But I wonder how much of that is down to Jenson Button's struggles in recent races. It throws a bit of confusion into the mix when one of your drivers is doing a reasonably good job and the other guy is having a bit of a tug.

It means you just don't have that focus and direction, and it looks like McLaren have had a bit of a stall as a result of that."

Source (end of this article):- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18551261

Well they have said that McLaren have brought a new type of fuel here, if that counts as a upgrade. Also, J. Legard has said McLaren tried a new exhaust in FP1 but won't race it this weekend. But seeming as he is the only person to mention it, im not so sure!

Yep - McLaren were the first "serious" team to run on the softer tyres, and were also running high fuel loads early on too! I have noticed a trend though, that individuals can come out with statements like "Practice is irrelevant" when they have no point to prove, but when they do, then suddenly it's the most important thing!

Therefore, clearly Button has proven that the last 3 races are a blip, and he's clearly faster than Hamilton, but this is only practice, so we can't tell anything! ;)

McLaren do indeed look in a bit of trouble. I was watching Button's long run pace, sector by sector compared to everyone elses and most other cars were faster. Lewis seemed to go back out and try and go quicker on lower fuel but couldn't. Something strange must be going on though because in the space of 2 weeks McLaren aren't suddenly 6 tenths or more slower than the likes of Force India. I can only presume they didn't get the tyres operating correctly during FP2.

The other very strange thing is whereas the MP4-27 has a known trait of being good in high speed stuff and therefore would logically be very fast in sector 3. They were struggling in sector 3. Even their fast laps, their sector 3 times were down on the majority of other cars, including Force India, Sauber, Williams, etc.

Williams were incredibly fast in sector 3 - Most of this was coming from the exit from the slow corners - especially the final corner. This was visible all through P1 and P2.

Perhaps Mclaren's idea of taking the best of each drivers set up, and running a compromise set up thats more similar on each car, was a silly idea.:dunno:

McLaren do indeed look in a bit of trouble. I was watching Button's long run pace, sector by sector compared to everyone elses and most other cars were faster. Lewis seemed to go back out and try and go quicker on lower fuel but couldn't. Something strange must be going on though because in the space of 2 weeks McLaren aren't suddenly 6 tenths or more slower than the likes of Force India. I can only presume they didn't get the tyres operating correctly during FP2.

The other very strange thing is whereas the MP4-27 has a known trait of being good in high speed stuff and therefore would logically be very fast in sector 3. They were struggling in sector 3. Even their fast laps, their sector 3 times were down on the majority of other cars, including Force India, Sauber, Williams, etc.

They didn't seem to have the raw pace for some reason and Hamilton had a few suspect lockups but I expect them to pick things up in FP3. They appear to be focusing a lot on race strategy and pits stops and I think strategy is going to be key again.

The comments on the BBC website seemed to indicate that their high fuel runs were quite good, although I wasn't following the timing. I did think that they went to high fuel runs early, as many of the top times were set when the mclarens were running 5-6 seconds slower.

Nothing really there compelling me to make a call either way at the moment

Lewis has said they got things 95% wrong today (set up wise ), it was a bad day, but he is confident that it can be rectified overnight and they should regain 90 of that 95%. He says he didnt know what problems the other side of the garage were having. He says he has to be near the front because they arent in a position to run a one stop and come through the field.

focusing to hard on making button quicker,theyve changed things too much which has slowed down both.i knew this would happen after jensons last few results.
they seem to be more focused on making button quicker than winning the championship.

this is what jenson said after p2.

"We're going to go back on a few things that we've changed through the session, to a car set-up that we know felt comfortable, but it's difficult to be consistent because of that front locking.

so in other words they are going back to a car button felt comfortable in earlier in the season,
but that is just going backwards,and itll probably end up ruining mclarens season.

they should focus on lewis's set up and build on that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom