Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little confused about the rules regarding gearbox change

LH had a transmission or clutch issue 4 weeks ago, this should have at least caused the gearbox area to be examined for any faults or issues

So surely the gearbox should be the area least likely to produce unexpected faults just before a race weekend and especially after 3 weeks off

Or am I missing something? Are they not allowed to check, repair and diagnose any possible issues in the mechanicals of the car whilst away from the circuit. Is parke ferme in effect from the end of the last race rite through to Thursday unpacking the car?

If the clutch on my car slipped 4 weeks ago, I would check very carefully the related mechanical systems to avoid problems the next time I drove

I wonder if any reporter will ask this question of Mclaren or will they be afraid of looking silly like I undoubtedly do for asking

Or not....

It is possible that there was a problem apparent after Melbourne. However, they may have believed that it would not get any worse... As such they wouldn't risk changing it. (as then they would have received a grid penalty in malaysia). Also, the fault could have developed during the Malaysian race... Or or or or or!!!! Any work done on the gearbox would result in a 5 place grid penalty. They are allowed to select particular ratios for each race, but that is (just about) all they can change....

- so no they are not allowed to repair mechanicals between races relating to the gearbox.

Furthermore, they only discovered the problem in the last 48 hours.

Furthermore (and this is the bit of the rules I really don't understand)... LH will be allowed another new gearbox (penalty free) for the next race....

Ok if the gearbox units are effectively sealed for the whole season, with only ratio changes allowed at all, then Mclaren have been very lucky to notice the problem at exactly the best time possible, before FP1. Much more convenient than the car breaking down on track and practice missed, or quali or the race

As the units are all identical I wonder if the team should worry about the risk of JBs unit expiring before its mandated number of uses

I thought gearboxes had to last a five race stint, presumably with the exception The Artist mentions above

Ok if the gearbox units are effectively sealed for the whole season, with only ratio changes allowed at all, then Mclaren have been very lucky to notice the problem at exactly the best time possible, before FP1. Much more convenient than the car breaking down on track and practice missed, or quali or the race

As the units are all identical I wonder if the team should worry about the risk of JBs unit expiring before its mandated number of uses

This really depends on the nature of the problem. If it's a problem caused by their manufacturing (such as a batch issue) then they would likely also be worried about button's. If it's a freak problem (or even a driver related issue), then there would be no issue for button. Most likely is it's a freak occurrence!

It seems some people are determined to cause problems.

If a post has been deleted it is for a good reason.
Re-posting it is ignoring the moderators and will earn you a warning and possible action taken against your account.

Anyone arguing with this in public will definitely get a warning as it is against the rules, which you have all read.

yukzy.webp

The gearboxes are sealed after each race.McLaren discovered the problem when the seals were removed to allow then to change the gear ratios suitalble for this track.As simple as that.
Any of these ratios can be changed.

Interesting today.

Lewis behind, gets to pit before Jenson twice. Jensons pit stop takes too long, and puts him out in traffic when he would otherwise have been in clear air, and at least given a slim chance to track down Nico. Sent out on Soft tyres in Q1, despite being ahead of his team mate, where his team mate stayed in, costing him a set of tyres for Q3.

I look forward to the 20 odd pages of debate that this triggers!

Interesting today.

Lewis behind, gets to pit before Jenson twice. Jensons pit stop takes too long, and puts him out in traffic when he would otherwise have been in clear air, and at least given a slim chance to track down Nico. Sent out on Soft tyres in Q1, despite being ahead of his team mate, where his team mate stayed in, costing him a set of tyres for Q3.

its an obvious conspiracy against Jenson ;)

its an obvious conspiracy against Jenson ;)

No one mentioned a conspiracy ;)

If I was to make a point, it would be twofold. Firstly, I think the issue is with McLaren, rather than any individual driver, secondly, that the absence of significant debate on these issues so far would seem to indicate that you only see what you are looking for.

Firstly, I think the issue is with McLaren, rather than any individual driver, secondly, that the absence of significant debate on these issues so far would seem to indicate that you only see what you are looking for.

Yes, I noticed that happening actually and wondered if the conversation would be long and pointless...

No one mentioned a conspiracy ;)

If I was to make a point, it would be twofold. Firstly, I think the issue is with McLaren, rather than any individual driver, secondly, that the absence of significant debate on these issues so far would seem to indicate that you only see what you are looking for.
Im a bit confused by what point your making here? As far as I can remember most people unhappy with the pitstop situation at McLaren were unhappy with exactly that...the pitstop situation at McLaren:unsure:
And quali 2, if Jenson hadnt gone out on softs he was in danger of not getting through, he was lying (about 8th I think)

Interesting today.

McLaren just don't seem to have any real idea as to when it's best to pit drivers and when priority should be
The 'leading driver first' was very limiting and disadvantages one for another uneccesarily

E.g. When JB forgot to pit and LH had to wait out

And I would like to know the reasoning for bringing LH first, his tyres were fresher than JBs and they put him in traffic, second time round again they put him among the wrong cars and JB would have been in free air without the wheel nut issue

I don't know why any speculation always has to be ridiculed as conspiracy, anyone can tell that the design of the pitwall operational process is wrong and is not getting fixed

I already put forward my opinion as to the causes of this inefficiency in this thread

Im a bit confused by what point your making here? As far as I can remember most people unhappy with the pitstop situation at McLaren were unhappy with exactly that...the pitstop situation at McLaren:unsure:
And quali 2, if Jenson hadnt gone out on softs he was in danger of not getting through, he was lying (about 8th I think)

He was ahead of Lewis, and Lewis was not sent out.

After three weeks of attempting to browbeat everyone into accepting that Hamilton's pitting second and slow pitstop in Malaysia meant he was the unfavoured son, you're now saying that Button pitting second and having an even slower pitstop in China also means that Hamilton is the unfavoured son.

So at least its not only McLaren that have an inconsistent policy...

McLaren just don't seem to have any real idea as to when it's best to pit drivers and when priority should be
The 'leading driver first' was very limiting and disadvantages one for another uneccesarily

Agreed, although I am not sure this was ever the strategy. Leading driver gets first call I understood to be the case.

I don't know why any speculation always has to be ridiculed as conspiracy, anyone can tell that the design of the pitwall operational process is wrong and is not getting fixed

The mention of conspiracy I believe was an attempt at irony, my response was also an attempt at irony

I already put forward my opinion as to the causes of this inefficiency in this thread

As have several others. I though that after another poor display by McLaren that it highlighted further evidence, so I came here expecting the thread to be awash with debate, as it wasn't I started it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom