Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be that "The rain is getting heavier, but it's okay. The car is aquaplaning in places, but it's okay" means "Can I pit please?"

Well what it could mean is "The rain is getting heavier, but it's okay. The car is aquaplaning in places,...... but if i need to stay out I can manage...unless you have any other information? Oh you do! Its raining heavier and cars are going in for full wets. But you only told Jens:(

Or it could mean "The rain is getting heavier, but it's okay. The car is aquaplaning in places, but it's okay."

Maybe if he was desperate to pit he should have said "Guys, I'm falling off the road and aquaplaning everywhere. Its time for wets."

what does it matter,i mean the first pit was at the right time,so it doesnt really matter.plus he was doing good lap times on the inters.
but the messed up pitstop didnt help,but he still got out just ahead of button so it could have been alot worse.its the timing and mistakes of and during the other pitstop that were terrible.

Well what it could mean is "The rain is getting heavier, but it's okay. The car is aquaplaning in places,but it's okay but if i need to stay out I can manage...unless you have any other information? Oh you do! Its raining heavier and cars are going in for full wets. But you only told Jens:(

Had Hamilton said that then yes, but he didn't.

Put that bit that you cut out that changes everything back in. Hope you don't mind.

Or it could mean "The rain is getting heavier, but it's okay. The car is aquaplaning in places, but it's okay."

Maybe if he was desperate to pit he should have said "Guys, I'm falling off the road and aquaplaning everywhere. Its time for wets."

It's the driver's job to look where's he's going and drive on the particular part of the track he is on at that moment. It's the team's job to tell him that there were other cars who had switched to slicks and were 5 seconds faster than Hamilton was on his inters, regardless of what he's doing on his current tyres. It is not the driver's job to enquire what everyone else is doing, that's the job of the pitwall to tell the driver. It's telling that no-one has come up with a reason as to why Button was pitted and Hamilton was left out for another 2 laps. At least not one that makes any sense:whistle:More like people are more intent on winning arguments on the internet rather than questioning why a top team like McLaren can't make what, to most people, looked like a straightforwardly simple pit call.

1. Sauber also made the same call
  2. Remind me what happened at the Hungarian Grand Prix when Hamilton jumped quickly for tyres

1. Sauber are not McLaren.

2. We're talking about Malaysia 2011. And in Hungary McLaren put Hamilton on Supersofts when everyone else was on softs, meaning he would have had to pit again. Still didnt explain why they pitted Button but not Hamilton. And if Hamilton (or the team?) jumped quickly in Hungary, they certainly did the opposite in Malaysia, didn't they?

Had Hamilton said that then yes, but he didn't.

Put that bit that you cut out that changes everything back in. Hope you don't mind.

No he didnt say that...but I thought we'd moved on to "what ifs". Not sure what you mean about bit I cut out?
But anyway whether its 'what ifs' or what hamilton said or cut out or left in, it doesn alter that Button was given better information and pitted first.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1?expand=1&fb-expand=1

thats the link to everything that was said to lewis and jenson from the pitwall.
its interesting that they told jenson to pit for his second pitstop before they told lewis.
and they told jenson to pit for slicks before they asked lewis anything about pitting for slicks.

Which, apart from the big question of why this was the case, is all we really need to know.

Funny that.
I've been asking the same thing for a week now.

I would hazard a guess that you're never going to hear a valid reason, despite all the excuses, bluster and obfuscation.

Unfortunately I think you're right:rolleyes: Despite you, ExtremeNinja, KekeTheKing, myself and a few others asking what, to my mind, is a perfectly valid question, it seems like some seem determined to have the mindset that solely because it's an incident which happens to involve a certain Lewis Hamilton, anyone who happens to question the goings on of said incident must secretly want to bum him.:givemestrength: As a McLaren fan, the next time a McLaren driver (either of them - understand?) has to rely on a call from the pits to help determine the outcome of a race, I can't say i'll have 100% confidence in the pitwall making the correct decision. And I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why.

It's telling that no-one has come up with a reason as to why Button was pitted and Hamilton was left out for another 2 laps. At least not one that makes any sense

Because they expected rain, and wanted Hamilton to only pit once. Because they could afford to take a risk on Button. Because they'd been stung in Budapest making hasty decisions.

And Sauber made the same mistake, but no-one is suggesting Peter Sauber is running a conspiracy because he fancies Kobayashi.

I can see I'm going to need to re-read the radio transcripts, but from what I saw at the first pit stop lap as the track was becoming ready for slicks Hamilton was contacted on radio and said he could cope. The lap before Button had said he could not, after Hamilton has been checked with Button was told to pit.

Hamilton pitted in reaction to the gaps and strategies around him and stayed static on the track.

As I think has been mentioned before, if the forecast rain had turned up the lap after Button pitted this thread would have taken an entirely different perspective.

I have heard the comments that a lap doesn't go from dry to wet in one lap, however this was not a dry track, it was a damp track with a dry line. Also, the downpours in Malaysia can take you from dry tyres to full wet in about 3.5 seconds, so I personally believe that Lewis could not have gained a place and did not lose a place through strategy, but if the weather conditions had changed he could have been leading.

Cracking try McLaren, shame the weather gamble didn't work for you, and get those pit stops cleaner so the conspiracy addicts don't get drawn in.

and get those pit stops cleaner so the conspiracy addicts don't get drawn in.
Not everyone is a "conspiracy addict", as you put it.

Some people just want answers as to why Hamilton's stops weren't as optimum as they could have been, considering what McLaren knew and how they reacted with Button.

As for not losing a place, I posted a table earlier in the thread which showed just how much time he did lose and him coming within 3 seconds of Vettel.
An unnecessary risk on McLaren's part.

It's such a shame these questions can't be asked without being ridiculed or labelled.

Quite frankly I'm getting a bit sick and tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom