Cycling

head_1140x172px_EN.jpg

• Services
  • Personal details
  • Survey
  • Payment details / GTC
  • Data validation
  • Booking

THAT'S IT, YOU'VE ENTERED VELOTHON WALES!

Not sure we'd be able to put you up The Pits but i can give you some pointers for hotels if you wish.
If you're thinking of bringing Mrs Pits she will find Cardiff an excellent place to while away the few hours you're away in a couple of museums and plenty of shops, both high-end and independent.
Train would be a good option as the station is no distance from the city centre.

Great!

There is a while to plan this one thankfully. I think that the boys may wish to come along, if only to throw things at me for the finish, although I can foresee things being a little hectic. A similar plan to the Mendip ride may be employed. A nice (cheap) hotel followed by a brief drive, or even ride to the event start point.

Booked now though, and looking forward to tackling the Tumble. I will make sure that I train to beat Michal Kwiatkowski to the KoM time!

Be good to ride along with you and the guys again too, and maybe this time I will be following the same dress code!!!

I shall speak to the boss, and we can make our plans!!

And I will need to order a Jersey, nearer the time (in case you change the design!!)

And now I must prepare!

I did the Evans Ride it in Milton Keynes last year, it was a really well organised event, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have fun, and I look forward to seeing your times on Strava.

I am on the lookout for some local events which I can throw myself at between now and the end of the season. I think I have caught the bug!

There are events here all the way through, although the mileage drops off, and I am not sure I want to enter anything after October, as you cannot predict what the weather is going to do, although there is something to be said for these events as removing the excuses to not go out.

My goal this winter is to keep riding as much as possible, to build up my base fitness levels, in order to go for a more structured approach to next season. I have set myself a rather lofty goal of completing the 100 mile ride that I did this year in 5 hours. That sounds a little high, but I figure unless you push yourself, you never know what you are capable of.

Then, I wanted to think about rides like the Wiggle Dragon, the Fred Whitton, and maybe even one of the continental rides that Wombcat partakes in like the Marmotte, one of the tour stage sportives, Paris roubaix or somesuch.

You only live once after all, and as I have decided to stop saying no so much, I can include myself in that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/197548184
I came a cropper about 5 miles in, going straight on at a hairpin at hogh speed.
It was, of course, my fault; thinking I ride like Vincenzo Nibali when in fact I ride like Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards. Front wheel buckled but it still did a further 70 miles, front tyre blown but used a gel wrapper as a boot, tyre blown, everything else straightened out ok. Felt a bit winded on impact but I think adrenalin was masking the real pain which gradually increased the further I rode, dropped my slower clubmate at about 40 miles as I just had to finish as quick as I could, think I've done a rib or two, judging by the symptoms which are the same as I've previously experienced. I managed the climb up Gospel Pass no problem but the Talybont Res climb (The Glyn on Strava) was tough as I couldn't stand - it was too painful, but because I am superhuman I managed it anyway all the way to the top including riding the last 100 metres with a flat front tyre. Repaired that only for it to go again on the descent from hedge trimmings, repaired that. Got a mile from the end and punctured again on a cattle grid, I was beyond the point of caring then so I rode in on the rim. Lovely day.

Okay gethinceri now all I have to do is figure out what "Hogh speed" means.

But seriously if you have cracked a rib or two get on some antibiotics I cracked some ribs about a year and a half ago, I fell over a low brick wall walking back fromt the pub pissed, I laid there looking up at the stars thinking is this the ****ing best that life has to offer me the ribs were cracked but the worst thing is I developed a chest infection because of it and that was even worse than the cracked ribs.

sounds like rather an eventful day gethinceri

i must say i admire your resilience, i would:

a) not have been going that fast, as i do not have the cojones
b) winced at tbe thought of getting on the. ike with any sort of injury
c) thrown the bike down the hill in a tantrum and waited for the broom wagon
d) blamed the bike/road/other cyclists for their shortcomings in causing the off.

btw, is this one up on strava?

hope you and the delightful rose make a full and speedy recovery.

Well, I managed it!

http://www.strava.com/activities/203828144

Just over 6 hours, OK, 6.19, although there were too many things out of my control that added to the times. Finished 147 out of 551, so quite happy to end the season there.

Oh, gethinceri I stayed on! Despite some chap taking a nose dive right in front of me!!

Not sure if there are any photos, but if there are no doubt I will look ridiculous as ever!!

Thanks gethinceri I had to resort to doing it without any broken ribs or road rash, so a bit of a feeble effort really!!!

I would also point out that some of the Strava segments were only created this weekend, hence my appearance in the top 10! My normal position is between 25% and 30%

I think that this year I have managed to do the things that I set out to do at the start of the year, for the first time in as long as I can remember!!

I was a little put off by the Garmin reading a very different result to Strava, but still chuffed.

Looking forward to next Summer, and a Winter of trying to get into proper shape (I know round is a shape!!)

Back
Top Bottom