Cycling

They've just very sensibly chosen to favour the best groupset manufacturer. It's not a run-of-the-mill bike so should have the best components.

Is Campag the best anymore? Most expensive and exclusive yes. 10 years ago I would have said the best. I there's very little to choose between the three of them.

Still it's a fabulous looking bike, I wonder if we'll see anymore F1 teams have a good at making bikes. There's currently the McLaren/Specialized partnership, Ferrari and Colnago have some kind of deal? I even think that Mercedes have a connection with little-known German brand Rotwild.

Just watching the cycling on telly, looking at the chap popping up the tumble, I have now registered interest for entry in to the velothon.

Heres hoping I can get in, and you gethinceri.

If we both get in, I will buy myself a UCY jersey!!!

I thought I would go and check out the Tour of Britain since it was only about 15 miles away, missed the peloton by only a minute or two (after a huge and accidental detour), before getting completely lost on the way home, and stumbling upon the tallest hill in SE England (which has evaded me before, despite being a huge hill). The ride somehow ended up over 60 miles, so it got me thinking that I should invest in a Garmin or something similar, have any of you used one of these before, or have any recommendations?

Fortunately the tour is passing close again tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to see it.

I use a Garmin 500 tooncheese, you can pick them up for around £100 second hand on eBay. I use the mapping on mine for routes i plan in advance using ridewithgps.com and I find it good enough. There are higher spec Garmins with full mapping and same from other brands but you pretty much get what you pay for.
For me, I use the mapping, cadence and hrm facilities on my 500 plus the usual speed, distance, gradient etc. Before I bought it I was convinced I would never need one, guys I ride with had them so I got one, now I can't believe that I ever rode without it!

It's never dropped below 50%, longest ride of 7 hours I think. Charges from usb fairly rapidly tooncheese.
I bought mine as the unit only then subsequently I have bought heart rate monitor from Decathlon for about £25.00 and Bontrager Cadence meter for about the same.
Google DCRainmaker for everything you need to know about cycling computers and associated doohdads.

Last edited:
I use a Garmin 510, and I think it is the best thing ever. No issues with running out, and the route planning is great.

The only reservations that I have are:
1. When using a programmed route, it is tricky to follow all the other information, such as speed etc, as you do not get notification when you need to turn, it just tells you when you are off course (unless I am missing something!!)
2. If you get lost, you are still buggered, as it has no maps, so you do still need to know where you are going.

The more expensive Garmins do have maps, but if I get lost, I stop and use the phone to find out where I am and get back on track, usually though I plan my route using Bikehike.co.uk, and remember it the old fashioned way!!

BTW tooncheese did you see any of the race today? I have just watched the highlights, and they flew up Ditchling beacon. I have done that climb twice on the London to Brighton, and it is a real leg breaker!

gethinceri The Pits Thanks for the advice, I have GPS on my phone for when I get lost, and to be honest I've never been to interested in my instantaneous speed, but HR and cadence could be useful.

And I did get to see race, at the summit of Gibbet Hill, which was the highest point on the stage so it's surprising it wasn't classified. Even so it looked really tough, there were a lot of guys falling back. I had no idea the hill was there so I might have a go up some time soon.

No that was nothing to do with the Garmin, as I was not using the course map at the time.

It was everything to do with an utter cock jockey in a transit, causing me to miss a course marker!!

Back
Top Bottom