Cycling

Last year I did the 75km (3 laps). Obviously this was much harder. In my first three laps I was about 4 minutes slower than last year, so that was kind of OK.

Last year I had laps of 45, 47 and 49 minutes. My first lap was a bit slower, because of the run downhill (there were two crashes which cost me some time and the group was overall a bit slower). The 3rd lap was a bit slower as well, because I had to fill a bottle and obviously last year the 3rd lap was my last, so I could give it all then. Now I had to do three more...

4th lap went well, I already noticed I was dropping some people who had been riding around me the whole time. 5th lap went OK-ish up until the Höhe Acht (the steepest section at the end of a 5 km climb). Then I stopped for water again and already felt most of my energy had gone. The last lap was a bit too much actually. I couldn't really give a lot of power anymore and on the steep sections (which there are a lot of) I was basically crawling. And most of the people I had dropped in the 4th lap passed me again.

Overall: the form of the day was not bad, but not the best. In some of the other sportives this year I was able to drop people in the last 50 km, now I was kinda exhausted after 125 km. Coming into the last lap I was thinking this would probably a lap well over 1 hr, but in the end it wasn't that bad. Could have been a little bit better if I wasn't hampered in a fast curve downhill, which was followed by an uphill section. I used to exit that curve with about 75 km/h in the previous laps, but in the last lap the guy in front of me braked, I wanted to pass him on the outside, but he did use the full road, so I had to hit my brakes and exited the curve with about 50 km/h. Which meant I lost a lot of speed on the uphill section and got dropped from the guys I was with at that moment.

But it was a good ride. Not sure if I will do it again next year, because the 150 is a bit too hard for my taste, and the 75 not quite hard enough. 125 would be perfect, but that's not an option.

Well,

Hotel booked for Saturday night.
Goretex jacket, multitool and new shorts purchased.
Bike serviced

All ready to rock and roll!!

Now if only I could find my EPO...

image.jpg
Bloody hell this was tough:
https://www.strava.com/activities/181530918
But at least I had The Pits for company. Even though he bloody beat me!

thats a great snap gethinceri, good job you spotted the photographer. i do look a bit special in all the photos mind.

doing another sportive this weekend, the Hertfordshire 100. the wife encouraged me as on of her friends husbands wanted to do it, but not on his own. i signed up, and it looks like he will not now be riding, so i shall be solo.

if you are in the area next sunday Geth, feel free to join me :)

Back
Top Bottom