Grand Prix 2024 Spanish, Austrian, and British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This weekend see the start of a "triple header" of F1 races, starting at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, in Spain, then on to the Red Bull Ring, for the Austrian Grand Prix on 30th June, and ending at Silverstone, for the British Grand Prix, on the 7th July. This will test the stamina of the team personnel, especially if we have a repeat of the start to the Austrian GP in 1987, where it took the grid three goes to make it past the first corner.

The third restart was nearly two hours after the race was supposed to start. You can imagine nowadays that the TV companies would be briefing their legal team, ready to sue the drivers for interrupting their schedule.

Spain is not usually too exciting, but let's not put the cart before the horse, it may surprise us. And testing was in Bahrain (wasn't it?), so the teams don't have mountains of data to tell them how to set the car up. McLaren have found some pace, and on the right circuit the Ferrari's look quick. Even Mercedes claim to have found some speed in their car, although none are, as yet, quite as fast the the Red Bull in Max Verstappen's hands. Here are the times for the Spanish race (BST), which for some reason F1.com insist on listing in reverse date order :dunno:.

1718788361236.png

Austria has a Sprint race, so only one practice session on Friday

1718788475619.png

There is no Sprint race at Silverstone this year.

1718788541914.png

If, like me, your significant other is not a great sports fan the next few weeks will be punctuated with comments such as "I can't believe your watching Afghanistan versus India" or "do you really need to watch Georgia versus Ukraine?". Need, no. Want, yes.

So sit back, fill a glass with whatever beverage is your choice, and enjoy numerous multi-millionaires getting aggy because they haven't won.

Then Verstappen will cry about Silverstone 21 forever. Verstappen thinks he is bullet proof so sending him to a hospital might make him question his mortality if its a long hospital stay. I get the sense this could be coming because he will nevef learn.
That would be great.

i still stand by that silverstone 21 was 50/50, 2 stubbon people refusing to give an inch. but Max behavior in previous races caused what happened in silverstone

I was saying funnily enough after that lando message that. "im going to shunt if he carries on" i said at the time that Lewis tried to avoid the crashes in Bahrain? Spain & imola in 2021. realised that the only way to fight verstappen is to fight fire with fire.
Exactly Lando has to realise Max is counting on him not too but I feel the way Max defends you need the balls of Nigel Mansell or Gilles Villeneuve. Max is nothing but a bully and the only way to fight a bully is to stand up to them

Last edited:
Interesting that you mention "our Nige". In his Sky documentary he talks about Senna running in to him to try and intimidate him should they come across one another on track at some other time. Back in the pits Nigel pinned Ayrton up against the wall and told him if he every did that again he'd punch his lights out. Senna was very circumspect when racing Mansell in the future.

The only problem here though is that Lando looks to be the most no-threatening driver currently on the grid, and actions like this would probably bring the FIA down on him like a ton of bricks.

Interesting that you mention "our Nige". In his Sky documentary he talks about Senna running in to him to try and intimidate him should they come across one another on track at some other time. Back in the pits Nigel pinned Ayrton up against the wall and told him if he every did that again he'd punch his lights out. Senna was very circumspect when racing Mansell in the future.

The only problem here though is that Lando looks to be the most no-threatening driver currently on the grid, and actions like this would probably bring the FIA down on him like a ton of bricks.

Exactly these guys all need tp grow a pair of balls to take on Verstappen

On Nige and Senna, I seem to recall Brundle saying something similar on a Senna documentary (I paraphrase, and I think he was talking about when they both raced in formula ford) "he'd put you in a position where you either let him though or you'd have an accident, and I always had the accident" he also went on to mention that his approach was why he didn't get a seat as Senna's team mate in F1, as Senna vetoed it due to knowing that he wouldn't back down.

On Nige and Senna, I seem to recall Brundle saying something similar on a Senna documentary (I paraphrase, and I think he was talking about when they both raced in formula ford) "he'd put you in a position where you either let him though or you'd have an accident, and I always had the accident" he also went on to mention that his approach was why he didn't get a seat as Senna's team mate in F1, as Senna vetoed it due to knowing that he wouldn't back down.
Norris has to realise to beat Verstappen stop being pally with him

i was trying to remember that phrase yesterday

i feel max uncompromising nature like schumi or Senna who were great talents i wasnt watching live for either of them but for want of a better phrase max feels like bit like wind up merchant as he riles up drivers. & he feels like brings out the worst in drivers as they feel they have to match him. Hamilton probably had as many crashes with max in 2021 than i can remember from 2007 - 2020. same with lando i cant remember him being involved in a crash with anyone until yesterday

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that while Hamilton very much does it as well, he's quite clever at putting other drivers into situations where the crash will be their fault.

While we've been banging on about the actual collision between Verstappen and Norris, it seems everyone has overlooked the Schumacher like attempt to force Norris off the track after Verstappen had realised he'd got a puncture. How has that not gained him a race ban?

While we've been banging on about the actual collision between Verstappen and Norris, it seems everyone has overlooked the Schumacher like attempt to force Norris off the track after Verstappen had realised he'd got a puncture. How has that not gained him a race ban?
I was wondering that too…. Verstappen should have had censure for that at the very least, but the stewards didn’t seem interested.

• If Norris has a weakness at the moment, it is his overtaking - so often he either needs to divebomb, or he overshoots.
  • That being said, when you have Verstappen moving around in the braking zones every time a driver comes up to overtake, it’s not surprising that drivers just try to throw one up the inside, rather than playing “fair”

If Norris has a weakness at the moment, it is his overtaking
I don't disagree but would have to add, his starts as well. Whether it's him or the car I don't know but he lost the lead in Spain and Verstappen pulled out over a second before lap 1 was out in Austria.

When the margins between cars are that tight you can't afford to give your opponents anything.

the sprint race move was weird omen for what was to come. because again he outbraked himself & then somehow assuming a terrible exit lost the lead despite having a DRS advantage & even overtook by piastri

you 1 thing that has been forgotten because of the huge controversy. how much the relationship has now dedirated between the alpine drivers. i expect him overtaking another driver. bit frustrated feeling like your held up. but not your teammate
20240630_150131.png

Last edited:
Just thinking is this the 1st time since 2009 that Hamilton goes into British GP under the radar as Norris takes the hamilton spot of top billing & arguably russell in 2nd spot as last week winner

i was trying to remember that phrase yesterday

i feel max uncompromising nature like schumi or Senna who were great talents i wasnt watching live for either of them but for want of a better phrase max feels like bit like wind up merchant as he riles up drivers. & he feels like brings out the worst in drivers as they feel they have to match him. Hamilton probably had as many crashes with max in 2021 than i can remember from 2007 - 2020. same with lando i cant remember him being involved in a crash with anyone until yesterday
Yep wind up merchant or to me the bully in the playground. So to take it to a bully youve got to dish some back. I am not sorry if Verstapoen ends up in hospital again because his antics have led to it

Back
Top Bottom