Grand Prix 2024 Spanish, Austrian, and British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This weekend see the start of a "triple header" of F1 races, starting at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, in Spain, then on to the Red Bull Ring, for the Austrian Grand Prix on 30th June, and ending at Silverstone, for the British Grand Prix, on the 7th July. This will test the stamina of the team personnel, especially if we have a repeat of the start to the Austrian GP in 1987, where it took the grid three goes to make it past the first corner.

The third restart was nearly two hours after the race was supposed to start. You can imagine nowadays that the TV companies would be briefing their legal team, ready to sue the drivers for interrupting their schedule.

Spain is not usually too exciting, but let's not put the cart before the horse, it may surprise us. And testing was in Bahrain (wasn't it?), so the teams don't have mountains of data to tell them how to set the car up. McLaren have found some pace, and on the right circuit the Ferrari's look quick. Even Mercedes claim to have found some speed in their car, although none are, as yet, quite as fast the the Red Bull in Max Verstappen's hands. Here are the times for the Spanish race (BST), which for some reason F1.com insist on listing in reverse date order :dunno:.

1718788361236.png

Austria has a Sprint race, so only one practice session on Friday

1718788475619.png

There is no Sprint race at Silverstone this year.

1718788541914.png

If, like me, your significant other is not a great sports fan the next few weeks will be punctuated with comments such as "I can't believe your watching Afghanistan versus India" or "do you really need to watch Georgia versus Ukraine?". Need, no. Want, yes.

So sit back, fill a glass with whatever beverage is your choice, and enjoy numerous multi-millionaires getting aggy because they haven't won.

the head of Silverstone security, realising his job just got alot harder. with Verstappen taking out a British driver with the British GP in 5 days time, after just recovering from 2021

Tired 9-5 GIF by Viki

Surprised Max didn't have a go at George when he passed him, very unlike Max, I thought Max was Schumacheresq when fighting with a damaged car

'A tough one to take' - Norrispublished at 16:06
16:06​

Lando Norris retired from the race after a collision with Max Verstappen for the race win in the closing laps. He told Sky Sports afterwards: "I don't know what to say, I'm disappointed. Nothing more than that honestly. It was a good race, I looked forward to a fair and strong battle, I wouldn't say that wasn't what it was at the end, so a tough one to take. It was a mistake free race from my side, I did a good job."

Lando is being too nice if it was Max he would have been complaining about the excessive moving and been taken out and lost out in the championship

Lando mate you need to be prepared to leave nothing at the table when you come to a fight with Max

the head of Silverstone security, realising his job just got alot harder. with Verstappen taking out a British driver with the British GP in 5 days time, after just recovering from 2021

Tired 9-5 GIF by Viki
Don't worry Horner will offer them all free Red Bull cans and sandwiches

On Verstappen moving in front of Norris when he was trying to overtake, Norris said to Sky Sports: "It's a rule, you are not allowed to react to the driver and that's what he did three times out of three. Two times I managed to avoid it and the three time he just rode into me. I'm just trying to enjoy my race, he was clearly slower in the end and he ruined his own race as much as he ruined mine. Nothing more I can do, I did my best and it wasn't good enough but not through my own fault.

On what the plan is moving forward, for example, talking to the stewards, he added: "There are rules and if the rules aren't followed there's nothing I can do about that, I just had to do my job and go out and drive, and drive fast, and doing what I did today which isn't good enough for the win.

"I'm just going to carry on with what I'm doing, I'm doing a good job and my efforts, and my improvements from yesterday to today, and onto Silverstone. I'm happy with the team and everything we are doing but I got let down today."

a fasinating interview with andrea stella, going for the FIA & saying they havent dealt with 2021 correctly

In other words " Get ready for war !"

I think Red Bull announcing Perez is now back firing for sure because I think Mclaren know they've got Red Bull under a lot of pressure .

Perhaps this is a result Red Bull got summing up their week leading up to the race caused by internal bickering

Russell's quote about sit back and letting things unfold was right

:censored: off max, youve got exactly what you deserved today.
No he got points. He extended his lead by 10 points by taking out his championship rival. If they had maintained station he would have only gained 7 points. If he had played by the rules he would have lost a place and lost 7 points.

So because of his behavior he benefited by at least 17 points against Lando.

He deserved a DNF and a grid penalty for the next race.

Last edited:

Tired 9-5 GIF by Viki
He should just ban Verstappen ahead of the race.

Say the insurance policy won’t cover reckless drivers! 😁

Once again we see today, that Max Verstappen would rather crash out than let anyone else win. It just reeks of a sense of entitlement and arrogance along with a horrible petulant attitude, that will one day come back to haunt him.

Last edited:
Once again we see today, that Max Verstappen would rather crash out than let anyone else win. It just reeks of a sense of entitlement and arrogance along with a horrible petulant attitude, that will one day come back to haunt him.
This is what Ive been saying other drivers should not be friendly.with him and be prepared to take it to him

George Russel has joined the esteemed ranks of Patrick Depailler, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, and Wolfgang "Taffy" von Tripps (amongst others) as a 2 times grand prix winners.

No he got points. He extended his lead by 10 points by taking out his championship rival. If they had maintained station he would have only gained 7 points. If he had played by the rules he would have lost a place and lost 7 points.

So because of his behavior he benefited by at least 17 points against Lando.

He deserved a DNF and a grid penalty for the next race.
very true.that is the disappointing part that he carried on, as we weirdly those at fault often do get off scot free & ended up a net 3pts better off

ship has probally already sailed on this. but Verstappen has to figure out does he want controversy to be overshadow his talent. schumacher was an amazing driver but rarely do people talk his good parts but instead adelaide, jerez, rascasse & trying to put Barrichello into the Hungary wall

shame is like Schumacher he doesn't need to do it

very true.that is the disappointing part that he carried on, as we weirdly those at fault often do get off scot free & ended up a net 3pts better off

ship has probally already sailed on this. but Verstappen has to figure out does he want controversy to be overshadow his talent. schumacher was an amazing driver but rarely do people talk his good parts but instead adelaide, jerez, rascasse & trying to put Barrichello into the Hungary wall

shame is like Schumacher he doesn't need to do it
Then Verstappen will cry about Silverstone 21 forever. Verstappen thinks he is bullet proof so sending him to a hospital might make him question his mortality if its a long hospital stay. I get the sense this could be coming because he will nevef learn.

Then Verstappen will cry about Silverstone 21 forever. Verstappen thinks he is bullet proof so sending him to a hospital might make him question his mortality if its a long hospital stay. I get the sense this could be coming because he will nevef learn.
i still stand by that silverstone 21 was 50/50, 2 stubbon people refusing to give an inch. but Max behavior in previous races caused what happened in silverstone

I was saying funnily enough after that lando message that. "im going to shunt if he carries on" i said at the time that Lewis tried to avoid the crashes in Bahrain? Spain & imola in 2021. realised that the only way to fight verstappen is to fight fire with fire.

Back
Top Bottom