Grand Prix 2024 Spanish, Austrian, and British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This weekend see the start of a "triple header" of F1 races, starting at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, in Spain, then on to the Red Bull Ring, for the Austrian Grand Prix on 30th June, and ending at Silverstone, for the British Grand Prix, on the 7th July. This will test the stamina of the team personnel, especially if we have a repeat of the start to the Austrian GP in 1987, where it took the grid three goes to make it past the first corner.

The third restart was nearly two hours after the race was supposed to start. You can imagine nowadays that the TV companies would be briefing their legal team, ready to sue the drivers for interrupting their schedule.

Spain is not usually too exciting, but let's not put the cart before the horse, it may surprise us. And testing was in Bahrain (wasn't it?), so the teams don't have mountains of data to tell them how to set the car up. McLaren have found some pace, and on the right circuit the Ferrari's look quick. Even Mercedes claim to have found some speed in their car, although none are, as yet, quite as fast the the Red Bull in Max Verstappen's hands. Here are the times for the Spanish race (BST), which for some reason F1.com insist on listing in reverse date order :dunno:.

1718788361236.png

Austria has a Sprint race, so only one practice session on Friday

1718788475619.png

There is no Sprint race at Silverstone this year.

1718788541914.png

If, like me, your significant other is not a great sports fan the next few weeks will be punctuated with comments such as "I can't believe your watching Afghanistan versus India" or "do you really need to watch Georgia versus Ukraine?". Need, no. Want, yes.

So sit back, fill a glass with whatever beverage is your choice, and enjoy numerous multi-millionaires getting aggy because they haven't won.

the sprint race move was weird omen for what was to come. because again he outbraked himself & then somehow assuming a terrible exit lost the lead despite having a DRS advantage & even overtook by piastri

you 1 thing that has been forgotten because of the huge controversy. how much the relationship has now dedirated between the alpine drivers. i expect him overtaking another driver. bit frustrated feeling like your held up. but not your teammate
View attachment 17307
Was it really that friendly to start with

Given its a new rivalry perhaps those people saying it was too expensive to go to Silverstone might now flog to the race and not whine about the ticket prices

Hamilton is definitely under dog this week

I think this year is going to be Lando and George, I think that Lewis doesn't have it any more to to consistently be in the top four, the car helps but if he and Ferrari think there's a WDC for him the need a car like last years RB in terms of dominance for him to do it, at the moment he is a poor second to George, and when he does beat him it's due to team tactical decisions with tyres.

Back
Top Bottom