Grand Prix 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Who will be Champion

• Verstappen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suppose the argument is that if the stewards had actually asked Hamilton to give back the place after he went off track on lap 1, then we would have had a different race...

Hamilton was let down by the team strategy, I think he had the pace to win regardless of lap 1, but the team should have stopped him under the SC. But that last lap was an absolute frace. Michael Masi has proven to be incapable of effective race direction. Real shame for this to be the way this season ends.

Mercedes handed the race to Verstappen though - by not stopping under the SC. However, Mercedes were damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they had stopped, Red Bull might have stayed out, and taken track position.

The Pits - My first instinct is to agree, but there were two other elements:
  1. If the race hadn't restarted, they would have handed the championship to Verstappen
  2. Hamilton wouldn't have had as much of a tyre advantage, as Verstappen's hard tyres were 20 laps younger than Hamilton's

But they had 2 opportunities, under the VSC and the SC. You are right about the second one, but they could have pitted under VSC and come out ahead, the had better tyres at the end

Back
Top Bottom