Football 2019 - 20 Football Season

Back in the world of real football, Pompey are currently playing the second leg of their League One play off semi-final against Oxford. If they win I shall crow endlessly. If they lose I shall not revisit this thread until next season.

see you next season ;)

& like cider_and_toast says youve won the fa cup & played ac milan at home in competitive game. im very envious of any team/fan that has been to an fa cup final. the last time sheff utd were in a FA Cup final George VI was on the throne, Jesse Owens at Olympics wouldn't happen for 3 months. the world war 1 didnt exist because 2nd wouldn't happen for 3 years & 1st ever butlins had been open for 2 weeks

Last edited:

that championship final day was incredible absoultely gripping viewing. such drama at both ends. so glad i was a neutral. to be a Brentford West brom, Luton, Charlton Barnsley or Wigan fan stress mustve have been through the roof & hate to give credit to the dingles espically after 2011. but fair play on the great escape. few outside Barnsley gave them even a slim chance. but scored in 93rd min v forest & 91st min tonight to survive

the scenes on this wow. everyone who was barnsley. players, subs, coaches, staff. all piled on at the end

true its been an extremely unusual fa cup final but being in august not may & with no fans. it was never going to be the same spectacle. & it couldnt have the same attention because everyone is trying to fit 9 months of sport into whats left of 2020

Don't go there.

To say I'm pissed off and massively dissapointed with my club tonight is an understatement.

cheap option then cider_and_toast i was surprised considering how many great managers were unemployed. like paul cook, chris hughton or danny cowley

looking at his only managerial spell 11 games at oldham after ironically lee johnson left . its not good he lost his 1st game then won his next 2 then never got another win in next 8

Last edited:
Don't go there.

To say I'm pissed off and massively dissapointed with my club tonight is an understatement.

It's almost as if Bristol City don't want to get promotion to the premiership... Certainly, the appointment shows a lack of ambition, and a lack of understanding from the fans as to what they want! (I do sometimes wonder if it might be more profitable for some teams to compete at or near the top of the Championship, rather than getting promotion to the Premiership, needing to pay inflated transfer fees and salaries to try to compete, and end up "doing a Leeds"... I can't see how that is true, but...)

(Everyone was praying for Hughton... Chris Hughton has real form for taking clubs from the Championship to the Premiership... he could have been a good appointment)

We missed such a golden opportunity to bring a manager in with genuine experience who would have pushed the club on.

Hughton and Mccarthy were available without waiting. Paul Cook became available later.

Our chairman went on Talk Sport the week after LJ had been sacked saying we were after a breath of fresh air and someone to take the club forward. Dean Holden is neither of those.

Anyway, it is what it is now and we have to back our man. The trouble is, he's going to need to hit the ground running and keep running as I have been going to Ashton Gate for 28 years this month and can not remember an appointment that has been less welcomed by the fans.

i would guess the pessimist could be worried because staying in premier league is an extremely difficult task. look at Norwich if you get on a bad run. its hard to stop & theres no template to survival. dont spend you could be Norwich or splash out & you could be fulham or villa in financial danger if you get relegated

he's going to need to hit the ground running and keep running as I have been going to Ashton Gate for 28 years this month and can not remember an appointment that has been less welcomed by the fans.

i know all about unpopular appointments. we had a car park protest on the day danny Wilson was hired :D we joked that if we went 1-0 down on the opening day "sacked in the morning" but we played brilliant football as we know how fickle football fans are, quickly forgotten bar the chant in November ish "he used to be :censored: but now he's alright walking in a Wilson wonderland"

Danny Wilson had a great spell with us and we played some fantastic football. The trouble was that we couldn't get promotion even though he had us top of the table on several occasions. He was sacked after making the play offs and putting in the poorest performance of his time at the club.

saw that the score after half hour & i thought germans have knack of this. as it had shades of 2014 brazil 7-1

but this isnt managers fault. because from the outside its looked to me that Barca as club is in a bad way firstly they are skint. & gone so far away from the philosophy thats brought them so much success. its no surprise that in last 30yrs, when the cruyff philosophy has been used its been twinned with there most successful periods. 10yrs ago they had Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Puyol, Valdes, Busquets, Pedro, Alba & Bojan. who had all come through the academy & playing in the team some straight away some returned. but for some reason theyve gone madrid like with not many from academy & spending huge money which they dont have on big name players.

they need a root & branch review as to why arent either producing the youngsters as i only know if fati or if they are why are they not getting a chance. also worse thing of the lot why have they stopped the tiki taka they were so famous for & at their height unbeatable. it is sad, because i will always have a soft spot for barcelona because that 2011 CL final is 1 of greatest club sides ive ever seen & 9 years later they are just a bad way

Talking of promotion to the top layer I was living in Luton many years ago.

On the next to last game they got the point(s?) to get the promotion. That evening I went out to the local pub with a mate for a quiet drink. There was a coach parked outside which was a little odd, when we went in the Luton Town team and match staff were there having a knees up.

One of the regulars was a police sergeant, when it got to near closing time he phoned the station and told the duty sergeant that there was a private party going on and to make sure the PCs on the beat would not disturb it.

It was quite a night, somewhere around 2 am a phone call was made to Harry Haslam to tell him he would be welcome to come along.

We got back home eventually but I have no idea what time it was.

Back
Top Bottom