Pre-Season 2016 Car Launches and Testing.

I posted something the other day about paint on F1 cars. They are covered in little bumps, like a golf ball, to control the air flow. It will be interesting to see if the matt paint makes a difference and what will happen in the wet.

Il_leone I'm just surprised that the major sponsor that is now being pushed on every tweet and I've seen sharing a logo with Redbull racing hasn't been allowed to have a puma on the car. I assume the deal wasn't cheap for Puma yet no logo on the car. It's weird.

Batman but does it make the car faster?

Last edited:
I posted something the other day about paint on F1 cars. They are covered in little bumps, like a golf ball, to control the air flow. It will be interesting to see if the matt paint makes a difference and what will happen in the wet.

From a yacht/hydrodynamic point of view a matt/sanded finish is meant to be better, as the fine sanded surface traps the water molecules helping the attached boundary layer, allowing the faster flowing water to slide over the top of the same substance reducing resistance.

How true this is I'm not sure (I'm no Newey :) ). Yachting wise, my personal experience says a gloss finish is better. Purely because a sanded finish gives a better surface for weed to grow on, so unless you are dry sailing or diving the boat (before every race) any gains will be quickly lost.

However I suspect the finish, on the Red Bull, is a gloss paint with a matt additive, and therefore the finish will be as a gloss topcoat.

Last edited:
And we have a car! The 2016 Williams FW38 revealed. Only one pic so far.

f1-williams-f1-livery-unveil-2016-felipe-massa-williams-fw38-livery.jpg

Looks like Ferrari have really pushed the boat out, from that birds-eye view very different to last year's car. Slimmer and a lot more detail work. Looks rapid to me with an untrained eye.

Not a fan of the white stripe on the bodywork - that is not a Ferrari in terms of livery. I wonder if its because they needed to make certain sponsors happy

--------
Williams - it does not look anything visibly different unless its underneath the bodywork

Mercedes - maybe it was there to fool everyone before the launch by fitting 2015 bodywork

I love that Ferrari livery. A cool throw back to the 70's. I love the Martini livery on the Williams so I am happy that it has stayed the same.

Merc - I'm not surprised they haven't changed. It's not a bad color scheme.

The Williams in terms of outer appearance has not changed

Merc - don't be surprised if they reveal something revolutionary at the test on Sunday

I remember the days of car launches use to be glamorous and attention seeking

Back
Top Bottom