2014 driver line up market

The idea that Paul di Resta is left without a seat (unless he miraculously lands a seat at Caterham which I very much doubt) for 2014 is ridiculous. He's driven beautifully the first three years of his career, and he totally deserves a seat. Unfortunately it's that classic case of too many good drivers, and not enough seats!

RasputinLives Somehow the Russians did not get their own way then at Sauber - you would have thought putting Petrov in the 2nd seat would have made the Russians happy

I guess I was wrong in that the team still has Mexican sponsors apparently to keep happy

Don't expect much from Sauber though with that driver line up so after 7 years Sutil has managed to find a drive with another team other than Spyker/ Force India finally

Chris Stevens …… I agree with all you said bar your last comment. Sadly too many drivers with money, or at least more money the Paul di Resta had access to. A wonderful talent wasted, what a damn shame.

I'll be honest I don't get it with di Resta. Yes he has driven okay but not in the sort of way you would think "Wow, that's a future World Champion", so if he doesn't bring money or an extreme level of talent why bother? F1 has always had drivers with financial backing, it's not good but it is the nature of the beast. Bernie used to put an talented driver in the top seat at Brabham and a no hoper with piles of dollars in the second, ditto Williams and Marussia this season. Not a bad principal and one other teams could do well to follow (are you listening Caterham?).

Di Resta put himself on shaky ground with his performances compared to Hulkenberg in the second half of 2012 and his public criticism of Force India on numerous occasions this season, to name a few things. He hasn't been good enough to merit one of the seats with a salary and he hasn't got enough sponsorship to get one of the other seats.

@FB….Sir Jackie clearly rates Di Resta and can see a champion in him. He's not unlike Stewart in as much as he's very very smooth which masks his speed. Stewart was much faster than he often appeared. It took a while before he recorded his first pole but they came thick and fast after that. He suggested some time ago Di Resta would have been a good fit at Ferrari if the seat came available.

RasputinLives JYS also said a certain Dane was the best natural talent since Ayrton Senna - his name Jan Magnussen - Kevin's dad

Now what happened to him - dropped after 1.5 seasons for being too slow to Rubens and he complained about not getting enough testing opportunities

:oops::whistle::facepalm:

Success is easy when you get looked after by the right people in junior career - Mercedes and Stewart racing teams

sushifiesta It does appear Di Resta's constant moaning about the team publicly does help and making noises he wants a top team is hardly going down well in the loyalty stakes

Still Di Resta has himself to blame for not making the most of the opportunities when it matters - he did not have Norbert to put a good word for him at Mercedes anymore and who knows if Anthony Hamilton might have put a good word for him at Mclaren if they were still together

Back
Top Bottom