2014 Car Launches

For anyone (like me) who hadn't heard of the change regarding the rear brakes in the article Fenderman posted hear is a quote from an autosport article:
ARTICLE 11.7: REAR BRAKE CONTROL
As part of the new powertrain regulations, a large part of the cars' power will be provided by energy recovery systems.
What was termed KERS is now ERS-K and has effectively double the power output, for five times longer, than current systems.
Harvesting this much energy under braking will affect the braking effect at the rear wheels, so an electronic rear brake control system will be allowed.
This will be used to offset the ERS-K effect by aiding the braking effort at the rear, negating the need for the driver to constantly alter the brake bias.

Basically I think that, because the energy recovery systems are going to be wreaking havoc with the rear brakes, the regulations allow some electrical system to ensure that a certain amount of force on the brake pedal always corresponds to the same amount of braking force on the car.

The Force India has too much white on it. If your'e going to have black, and have other colours on the livery also, then you can't have white aswell. Regarding the nose, I know it definitely won't be the final product, but it doesn't look too bad - hopefully the updated ones will be similar to this.

Direct side view comparison:

Force India Contenders.jpg

I resized the shots using the wheel diameters to get as close as possible
Without views from the top we can't see the main differences to the tub which will be wider in places and will have a markedly different shape to the "coke bottle". Rear views will show us much more of the changes with regard to the exhaust exit and rear diffuser as well, whilst the shaping of the nose and front wing configuration will only really be evident from top and front end views.

One notable difference is the longer wheelbase for 2014 which is a probable consequence due to the stipulated location of ERS components, such as the battery unit and location of the MUGK linkeage to the crankshaft, by the new reg's.

Note: The car in the top image may appear to be bigger or taller than the new car. That is an optical illusion caused by the colour schemes. Some people will see more "distortion" than others depending on their visual acuity! To me the top one seems huge. That's astygmatism for ya!:)

Last edited:
Yes the rear wheels are significantly further back on the new car possibly to aid with traction from the extra torque delivered by the new power unit, but whoever pays for that logo on the rear end fence will not be happy as it is now partially obscured by the tyres...

Last edited:
Some more engines. Sorry if this isn't quite the right place - due to the large changes we could almost have an engine launch thread! This is inside the 2014 Renault F1 engine with Scarbs.

Back
Top Bottom