Grand Prix 2023 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After our mini-tour of the Middle East the F1 circus is off to Australia with the 25th race at Albert Park, Melbourne. Toward the end of the last race in Saudi Max Verstappen ignored his team and set the fastest race lap to make sure he went to Australia leading the World Championship. Since then there has been lots of rumours about problems within the team between Perez and Verstappen, following on from the very clear message Max gave the whole world in Brazil last year.

We can expect Red Bull to be quite a way ahead in qualifying, and even further ahead in the race. So let's talk about the race for third amongst the division two teams. Fernando Alonso has been given a car which comes close to matching his ability, if not his ego, and Lance Stroll is acquitting himself well in the Aston Martin. Mercedes are still a way off the pace as they still struggle to get their car up to speed. Ferrari are there amongst the top three or four, but certainly not as fast as they were last year.

In the third division are Alpine, Alfa Romeo and Haas. All the different drivers appear to be there or there abouts and all will take points at some point during the season but will need some significant retirements to get on the podium. And then we have division four, with Alpha Tauri, Williams and McLaren all desperately trying to avoid the wooden spoon for 2023. Currently in pole position to be the F1 equivalent of Southampton are McLaren. With two very talented drivers the orange cars are absolutely woeful. One assumes all the time spent by Zak Brown looking for a new engine supplier during the off season distracted the team from the job in hand, making a car that works for the 2023 season.

Here is details of the track and DRS zones
1679949983126.png

For those in the UK, here are the timings.

1679950066383.png

Enjoy the eraly start.

The DRS situation in this race was very confusing. With four zones you ended up with what David Croft describes as a DRS train, so why not do away with the DRS zones and let the cars just follow one another?

The DRS situation in this race was very confusing. With four zones you ended up with what David Croft describes as a DRS train, so why not do away with the DRS zones and let the cars just follow one another?
I think people have worked out how to create a deliberate queue using the DRS. Once someone breaks the toe it leaves the defending driver defenceless. Whilst there is nothing wrong with doing that if a circuit is difficult to pass it can get processional.

This time last year Red Bull complained about the Drs zone that was taken out and it really helped both their drivers this time to whizz by everyone like they had GP2 engines

It's increasingly obvious that DRS zones should be scrapped. I don't think we'll see an end to DRS yet so it should be used differently.

Make it a use anywhere, any time but for a maximum of 10 uses button. That way it can be used for both attack and defence.

FiA seem incapable of Drafting rules that Cannot be Misunderstood or misapplied.......they should not be Choosing which flag to Show on the Basis of Improving the "show"

what we Want is more close racing and More variability of Tactics to add uncertainty to the Result

why not let teams use only one tyre compound if they so Choose.
Why not let the Teams have a completely Free pick of what tires compounds they want for a GP rather than have to select a number from the three compounds chosen for them?
Also if they want to Drive the Whole race on Hards why not let them?
Bring back refueling but such a Stop must take min of 7 seconds thus reducing the Fire risk and the adding a cost for Low fueling but it brings all kinds of Benefits in reduce Tyre wear or better overtaking of Long fulled cars.
Kill off drs or at Least as noted above make it a max of 10 uses per
And no Changing tires or "working on a car" under a Red flag
Any restart with less than 15% of race distance remaining must be A rolling restart.

It's increasingly obvious that DRS zones should be scrapped. I don't think we'll see an end to DRS yet so it should be used differently.

Make it a use anywhere, any time but for a maximum of 10 uses button. That way it can be used for both attack and defence.
It was the DRs zone that got dropped which Red Bull were not happy about last year. They don't need a DRs zone next race

Yeah - Max has an inferiority complex re Lewis.

The sheer cheek of Max complaining Martha rules were not applied properly when he knows thats how he "won" hist first title is astounding.
I agree Maxine has his nose poked out of place and he us crying someone is standing up to him

ive been extremely busy through work & all the mess that comes with configuring a new phone

so gethinceri dont think i havent missed your return & return to attempts to belittle me. as i last time i said wont stand for it. & if you want you can go & whine to your friends like you did you last time.

me & hamberg can disagree that whats sport is about having people on both sides of the fence. but i still have respect for him & hope that is reciprocal

but thanks as forgot to put you on ignore last time

Screenshot_20230403_201850_Samsung Internet.jpg

where as the stewards could do with more communication like we see at Le Mans & Formula E as are we endanger of stewards not being able to do right for doing wrong. as in saudi we complaining at how long it took for alonso to be given the penalty & then for it to be rescinded. so they make a quick decision on sainz 2 weeks later & they FIA are still in the wrong for making their decision too quickly not giving Sainz a right to reply.

because there was no malice & it was accidential was sainz did but if any drivers does that to anyone at the 1st corner F1 F2 or F3 they will get 5 second penalty & if gasly hadnt crashed into ocon then that was alonso's race was ruined. i think dropping him to last was harsh but it was only expectional circumstances that made it harsh of safety car finish that made it harsh & FIA are again in damned if you do & damned if you do damned if you dont because maybe a 3 place grid drop in baku was probally fairer but then if we've learnt 1 thing from masi reign is you cant change the rules on whim because of circumstances

Back
Top Bottom