Grand Prix 2023 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After our mini-tour of the Middle East the F1 circus is off to Australia with the 25th race at Albert Park, Melbourne. Toward the end of the last race in Saudi Max Verstappen ignored his team and set the fastest race lap to make sure he went to Australia leading the World Championship. Since then there has been lots of rumours about problems within the team between Perez and Verstappen, following on from the very clear message Max gave the whole world in Brazil last year.

We can expect Red Bull to be quite a way ahead in qualifying, and even further ahead in the race. So let's talk about the race for third amongst the division two teams. Fernando Alonso has been given a car which comes close to matching his ability, if not his ego, and Lance Stroll is acquitting himself well in the Aston Martin. Mercedes are still a way off the pace as they still struggle to get their car up to speed. Ferrari are there amongst the top three or four, but certainly not as fast as they were last year.

In the third division are Alpine, Alfa Romeo and Haas. All the different drivers appear to be there or there abouts and all will take points at some point during the season but will need some significant retirements to get on the podium. And then we have division four, with Alpha Tauri, Williams and McLaren all desperately trying to avoid the wooden spoon for 2023. Currently in pole position to be the F1 equivalent of Southampton are McLaren. With two very talented drivers the orange cars are absolutely woeful. One assumes all the time spent by Zak Brown looking for a new engine supplier during the off season distracted the team from the job in hand, making a car that works for the 2023 season.

Here is details of the track and DRS zones
1679949983126.png

For those in the UK, here are the timings.

1679950066383.png

Enjoy the eraly start.

Am I missing something here?

Verstappen takes pole by the widest margin of the three races so far and suddenly we're hailing this as a massive turn around in the season and thst Red Bull aren't having it all their own way?

:dunno:

Verstappen takes pole by the widest margin of the three races so far and suddenly we're hailing this as a massive turn around in the season and thst Red Bull aren't having it all their own way?

there is a certainly think that Australia cooler weather isnt playing to red bull strengths as 1st 2. but statistically that is correct but if verstappen takes part in Q2 & 3 who knows as he was half a second clear of perez could be 7 8 tenths clear of 1st non red bull

He would have been further ahead in Jeddah if his engine did not break down

Russell got within 3 tenths and Hamilton get messed up by Hulkenberg on his run but the Red Bull seems to be right on the edge a bit

Interesting to see if the downshift issues will come into play

The start will be interesting if one Mercedes gets ahead of Verstappen

Last edited:
is it me or is this grid alot closer together than usual for 17 laps to go. as alot of chat of pitting for 2nd set of tyres but Hamilton would drop out of the points if he pitted. even max for all his dominance would be 7th - 8th

so your damned if you do & damned if you dont

the incredible irony that Michael Masi is back in the paddock for 1st time since Abu Dhabi & he's seeing what shouldve happened that day. if a race is in danger of finishing under a SC due to a late accident. pause it

so at least the FIA are learning from their mistakes, which can only be a good thing to stop damp squibs

if max loses this im looking forward to extreme contradictions of Christian Horner complaining about everything he thought was fantastic was in Abu Dhabi

Last edited:
well that was :censored: mental but i rather have racing end than safety car end. which we all know would have been complained at for a disappointing ending. this was correct decision & 20 drivers are trying to win at the 1st corner cant be helped

Sainz went for the win it or bin it attitude & which for me cause it as he spun Alonso, blocked gasly which then caused him to slow down & get in the way of ocon

I disagree. Restarting two laps from the end with everyone on cold softs and a standing start was only going to result in carnage. I’d rather a safety car finish and a fair end than this stupid ****ing drive to provide “entertainment” which is only entertaining for those that prefer contrived reality TV to actual sport.

I disagree. Restarting two laps from the end with everyone on cold softs and a standing start was only going to result in carnage. I’d rather a safety car finish and a fair end than this stupid ****ing drive to provide “entertainment” which is only entertaining for those that prefer contrived reality TV to actual sport.
but this goes for all sport. dont we tune in to be entertained. what are we watching sport for otherwise . 1 of the biggest disappointments for me is when youve watched a grand prix & ends like monza 2021? your 1st thought 4-5 Lape to go is oh no well this is ending under safety car

Last edited:
This is what happens if you demand no finishing under the SC. I will say the race management was a bit farcical especially the Red flag at the end . I only wished Hamilton had gotten the lead to hear the Red Bull moaning

Other than that we really need Mercedes to push Red Bull

but this goes for all sport. dont we tune in to be entertained. what are we watching sport for otherwise . 1 of the biggest disappointments for me is when youve watched a grand prix & ends like monza 2021? your 1st thought 4-5 Lape to go is oh no well this is ending under safety car
You’ve missed my point completely.

Red Bull it looked easy once in clear air but first time they were tested

Ferrari ...the team just don't look front runners

Haas protest dismissed

Alpine...oh dear they are already not best of friends and Alonso must be laughing 😆 louder

Mclaren..the car just looks so draggy around the quick section to others

The 4 DRS zones too many given the car over taken cannot come back

Well I am sure Red Bull would have complained if they lost the race that was under their control... they did not complain about Baku 2021 when it was a restart with 2 laps to deny Hamilton a win

You’ve missed my point completely.

I’d rather a safety car finish and a fair end than this stupid ****ing drive to provide “entertainment” which is only entertaining for those that prefer contrived reality TV to actual sport.

i was saying as you wanted a neutralised finish where they just roll around & finish in a anti climax. & dont we tune into sport to be entertaining. sport is rarely fair

i get that we all watch F1 for different reasons. & so we are going to be on different sides of the fence. ive watched Champcar/IndyCar for many years over there so probably why i dont see the issue. but F1 has always tried to spice up the show in "unfair" ways, so why is this different

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom