Grand Prix 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

They need to show the whole race, that would be a start.

You know very well that it is a matter of cost. Sky wants to have a monopoly over everything that they touch. Unfortunately all Ecclestone wants is immediate money, in the long term it is a bad deal; once it becomes the only way to watch then the audience in this country will drop to around one eighth of the current number. This will filter through to the sponsors who will then tighten their wallets, hardly good for the teams. It is not just this country either, other countries across the world are doing this. Out of sight, out of mind.

The second option...

And by the way the BBC had a contract and they chose not to fulfill that contract in favour of spending billions of pounds to move locations and spending 8 million per year on canteen expenses, why don't they let there employees buy there own bloody lunch and spend the money saved on programming which is what I pay my licence fee for....

Last edited:
I still haven't decided what I think of F1 2014 style. Yes there were some great battles in Bahrain but often between teammates. The battle between Hamilton and Rosberg was fabulous, but oh how much more I would have enjoyed it if Lewis had been fighting a Red Bull or a Ferrari rather than his teammate. If the disqualification of Ricciardo stands, every podium position so far will have been taken by a Mercedes powered car with the exception of Vettel's 3rd in Malaysia. I want and expect more than a one make championship in F1. It's easy to blame the manufacturers who have failed to be competitive so far, but when so many major technical changes are made, one make domination was always likely to be the outcome. I hope Red Bull and Ferrari, or at least one of them can catch up, SOON!!!!!!! :(

Last edited:
Some funny radio messages today. JEV calling one of the Lotus drivers "MENTOL". Williams pitwall asking Bottas to clarify whether he got pushed off the the track by Ricciardo so they can tell headmaster Charlie.

The Bottas one was gold .... The surprise that VB out braked himself when shocked SHOCKED I tells you that a Ferrari was flying towards him at warp speed 3 in the braking zone...

son ... that one was on you :p

That was a circumstance that he needs to understand. It's one thing to pull off a good move on the guy in front but he needs to take account of who else is "in range" and what they are doing. Even us folk's driving on the public highway have to read the road ahead and everything on it to safely manoeuvre. I get the impression that he's on a steeper learning curve than he realises and hope that he reflects on each race unemotionally.

He's one of the blokes who impressed me in his rookie season but I sense a tad too much exuberance and perhaps some degree of arrogance. The sooner he shakes that off (or proves me wrong) the better. He's still on my watch list as he definitely has the speed, reactions and car control. However, IMHO, his racecraft and tactical thinking needs a lot more polish.

Thinking about the tactics, I think Williams need to polish up on that as well as both Bottas and Massa looked like they should have been higher in the standings this weekend. Not sure what went wrong with the strategy but that's just one reason why I'm hoping to catch a full repeat of the race coverage.

Great race, probably one of the most exciting F1 races in a long time. It would be nice if Red Bull or Ferrari or SOMEONE would be able to challenge those silver arrows but F1 has really never been a, "level playing field" and I doubt it ever will be. I seem to remember a time not all that long ago when Ferrari dominated and I dont recall anyone having a problem with that. Ive been away from F1 for a number of years and just starting watching again and its nice to see those red cars struggling.

A lot of people were very concerned after the Melbourne GP, citing that Mercedes 1sec per lap lead was going to be hard to catch. Ron Dennis pointed out that it was more than 1.5 seconds and that his team planned to get half a second of that back in Sepang. Few people took any notice of his observation of the true Mercedes pace, little wonder as it was wide of the mark! Mercedes actually has a 2 second plus lead over the rest of the pack. Even Adrian Newey is going to struggle to peg that back.

Thank goodness Nico is a particularly good racing driver.

I think Williams went with a 3stop strategy and the SC ruined it for them. Bottas needs to get with Williams' newly found competitiveness and calm it a bit.

@quintesentially

I get the impression that Williams' 3 stop was not a choice, but something that they had to do; they were burning through tyres in the early part of the race! Without the safety car, they would have been 20 odd seconds behind and would have been stuck in 7th and 8th....

To me, this suggests that the Williams has excellent mechanical grip, but is lacking somewhat in aero grip.... This ties in with their struggles in the wet; when the mechanical grip is reduced, they are a lot slower!

Last edited:
Yeah I don't understand the argument either. F1 is not like football where fan attendance is critical to the show. Televised coverage is where Bernie makes up the shortfall and the reason F1 has the biggest cumulative television audience in sports.

Gents, I not trying to say that F1 should not try to attarack new supporters in new countries....simply that for emotion to be stirred its better to have a packed gransdstands and massed ranks of spectators all round the circuit. That excitement transits itself across the TV to all the many millions watching. Including those who just may decide to go and watch motor racing themselves at a more local curcuit.

BTW Bernies handouts a minimised to what he can get away with to keep a reasonably full grid - if he had only five teams no-one would pay for TV rights. He keeps by far the most for CVC and sends a relatively small amount back to the teams.... just follow one of the many Joe Saward posts for more details.... http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/poor-cvc/

Bernie has offered, on numerous occasions, to sell the sport to the teams but none of them have the balls to take up this offer. They also know that even though he takes a big cut he negotiates a much better deal than any of them would be able to manage, especially when you look at the fiasco that was FOTA.

It was worth staying up to watch the race highlights on the beeb even if I resemble a zombie today :coffee:
Most things have already been said about this race.
I'd just like to say to any team people reading this forum - THANK YOU for letting the drivers race.
What a difference it made!! I loved that race even if I spent some of the time hardly bearing to watch.
Okay so the Mercs were miles ahead of the others but it's entirely different to one car whizzing off in the distance.
At least the winner had to work for the victory, I was amazed Nico didn't get past Lewis in those last 10 laps.
It may have been the editing but it seemed like a lot of the drivers were in battles with their team-mate and there was plenty of overtaking (or attempts).

10/10 for Lewis, Nico R, Sergio & Danny, 11/10 to Merc pitwall for non-interference.
As far as I can remember I only heard one bit of real team orders & that was "Seb, Ricciardo is faster than you"
Nico & Lewis aren't the only ones brewing up a battle, Felipe & Valteri are pretty close too.

May I :goodday:to Jackie Stewart for instigating F1 safety or this discussion board may have looked a lot different after EG's roll.

A race to remember for the right reasons.

Huge respect to Mercedes. I'm sure they aren't totally happy with the aggressiveness of some of the moves, but if we are going to have a one horse race and least that horse has two different riders fighting for the title.

Yes Hamberg the lad had a good race. Went well here last year.......Still think Hulkenberg will stuff him over the course of the season :p

Good race. Enjoyed it. I did think it was national coast past a Ferrari day at one point though. How slow were they in a straight line?

Favourite moment of the race?

JEV on radio: Who was that? He's mental!

Crofty on Sky commentary: That'll be Pastor Maldonado then.

*cue me rolling around laughing*

Then he tops it by flipping poor old Guttierrez. Hope the trip to the hosputal didn't mean he had to cancel any PR events for the new Muppets movie. (That ones for you Greenlantern101).

Methinks that with such close running between team mates and in the midfield a lot of upsets are going to come in that final race. There'll be two kinds of fireworks in the Abu Dhabi night sky and a bad taste in a quite a few mouths.

Back
Top Bottom