Grand Prix 2011 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's turning out to be a strange old season

Mixed conditions and poor pit stops paved the way to an enthralling race, while it had one of the lowest overtaking figures of the year, it certainly showed that overtaking isn't the be all and end all of grand prix racing, however the two Mclaren drivers showed that overtaking can be exciting.

Of the runners and riders, Ferrari have made the biggest gain and maybe, just maybe, Red Bull have lost their monopoly over the top step of the podium and we might finally have a championship, however I'm sure I have said this after China and Canada.......

The curious case of Mclaren continued apace this weekend as they had no pace, found pace and then lost it again. In the changeable conditions at the start of the race, Hamilton and Button charged through the field until the dry conditions when the natural order reasertied themselves, however, it is hard to see how they really showed in fully dry conditions as Button lost a wheel nut early on and Hamilton had to fuel save for the latter part of the race.

Going into the German Grand Prix, Red Bull will understandably be favourites as Sebastian Vettel looks to extend his lead at the top of the championship as he continues in his quest for back to back champions (and the youngest to do so before I'm mistaken) but he'll have to fight off a resurgant Mark Webber who is finally challenging his team mate again after a slow start to the season after he struggled to acclimatise to the Pirelli tyres, he was also stung by the team orders at the end of the last Grand Prix, so you can't bet against him for at least a podium position next weekend.

Renault seem to have disappeared after a strong start to the season, Vitaly Petrov seems to have fallen back into 2010 mode after a strong start to the season. Nick Heidfeld has fared better recently and still features in the lower ends of the points, however a podium seems a long way away, a theory solidified as their side exhausts have had to be abandonded due to the propsed rules, however with the debate going on at the moment, this may not be the case after all.

Mercedes seem to have found pace recently, Rosberg is constintely in the midle of the points while Schumacher seems more like himself again, in more ways than one.......... But at his home grand prix, he will be keen to show that he still has it, along with a large number of German drivers, the most represented country on the grid, so many people will be keen to show that they are the best German on the grid.

Team lotus made it into Q2 again which is a major achievment for them and shows that they are getting closer to the midfield and their major goal of getting points before the end of the year so they can beat Virgin and Hispania.

This year we return to the Nurburgring as part of the deal is that the circuit alternates with Hockenheim, last time we were there was in 2009 where Mark Webber won his first grand prix in the Red Bull. In recent memory Nurburgring will be best remembered for the crazy race in 2007 where a heavy rain shower caused havoc at the start of the race and famously allowed Markus Winkelhock to lead the race in his Spyker, joining the elite of people who led a race in their first (and only race)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/nurburgring/

The fact that Lewis is so fast in the first sector could see him jumping into first. He will have to defend it though through S2, which is worryingly where the DRS is right?

It's worth pointing out that the start line is about 250 metres closer to the first corner.
So there will be a lot less time to make up places at the start.

Is this the tightest first corner of the season? Could cause problems to the midfielders.

Webber and Hamilton got a bit close last time at the Nuburgring, hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Webber and Hamilton always get close. Webber is a very aggressive defender and Lewis a very aggressive overtaker. Stewards better keep Lewis' favourite chair warm for him.

What an absolutely stunning Q2 and Q3 from Lewis. It was so stunning that it left Jenson completely speechless!

An unrealistic chance is still a chance.

Sure but it's not realistic enough for Massa to give up a win. Last year Alonso was much closer and he didn't even pull it off. If anyone of us was in Massa's situation, what would you do?

Give up a win and see Vettel become WDC anyway?!?! :snigger:

I'd give anyone the finger and say "i'm here to race and win. And if you don't like it then bugger off!"

Hammy already been in front of the beak this weekend for speeding in the pit lane. Let's hope it's the only time.

The fact that Lewis is so fast in the first sector could see him jumping into first. He will have to defend it though through S2, which is worryingly where the DRS is right?

DRS detection is into T10/11 'chicane', in S2, activation 62m after T11, at the very end of S2.
So the DRS zone is essentially S3, where all the teams were evenly matched 23.1-23.3

Stunning lap by Lewis, I'm well chuffed - shame he didn't have that extra half a tenth though. I'm now actually hoping for a dry race tomorrow because I think we would be set up for a great battle amongst the top 4.

Yeah definitely. Although being a Lewis Hamilton fan i do hope it is wet because i think he would just drive away from the pack the way it is set up.

...and what exactly did Martin Whitmarsh do that was so great here?

The team principals seem to be moving into football manager territory. When it goes wrong it's their fault when it goes right they can't take the credit. Truth is they aren't wholly responsible in either circumstance. The McLaren wasn't very good in pre-season but MW didn't design it now did he? Strategy calls are almost certainly made by McLaren mission control not on the pit wall so let's stop the blame game.

I just posted this on McLaren tread, but it's more pertinent here
Seems like McLaren have Increased mechanical grip somehow, this has changed the overall balance, Lewis has been able to get the best out if it, taming understeer whereas Jenson has been defeated by it's increased oversteer

Lewis was flying through the first sector, complete confidence round the whole lap

If the Red Bulls as usual revert to a less aggressive race profile compared to Q3, Lewis could be favourite here for a win.

Alonso could be in the mix as well

Who needs the rain, we could be on for a cracker tomorrow, the top 4 are all in contention for the win tomorrow, big test for Vettel if he isn't leading after lap 1.

Truth is they aren't wholly responsible in either circumstance. The McLaren wasn't very good in pre-season but MW didn't design it now did he?

No but Whitmarsh made the call to change design direction and this paid dividends. As TP, ultimately the buck stops with him and I don't think he'll thank anyone for arguing otherwise.

The team principals seem to be moving into football manager territory. When it goes wrong it's their fault when it goes right they can't take the credit. Truth is they aren't wholly responsible in either circumstance. The McLaren wasn't very good in pre-season but MW didn't design it now did he? Strategy calls are almost certainly made by McLaren mission control not on the pit wall so let's stop the blame game.

I think if anything it is the over involvement of back staff which has been the problem. Most of the time decisions make themselves, they don't need keep coming up with alternate strategies.

No but Whitmarsh made the call to change design direction and this paid dividends. As TP, ultimately the buck stops with him and I don't think he'll thank anyone for arguing otherwise.

I don't think Jenson will be agreeing that it is paying dividends. I think the best part of todays Mclaren was missing from Jenson's car and that was Lewis Hamilton.

Back
Top Bottom