Football 2010-11 Football Season

FB said:
McZ - are/were the two Bristol teams split on religious grounds? I know this is the case in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Liverpool. Not sure about Sheffield or Nottingham either (anyone know?). Manchester is slightly different as Man U are actually in Salford rather than Manchester (and most of their supporters are in London LOL )

The Sheffield story is quite an interesting one. Sheffield Wednesday we're formed because the cricket club that played (on Wednesday's) at Bramall Lane in the 1860's needed a sport to keep the players fit during the winter off season. Around 1870 the football team was bigger than the cricket team and the 2 clubs split with the football side moving to Olive Grove and eventually building Hillsbrough at Owlerton about 20 years later.

After the football team left Bramall Lane the cricket club decided they still needed a way of keeping the team together during winter and also a source of income so Sheffield United was formed. It wasn't long until cricket was forgotten and football was the main sport played there.

FB said:
McZ - are/were the two Bristol teams split on religious grounds? I know this is the case in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Liverpool. Not sure about Sheffield or Nottingham either (anyone know?). Manchester is slightly different as Man U are actually in Salford rather than Manchester (and most of their supporters are in London LOL )

The two Bristol clubs are separate entities, based largely on geographical terms - nothing to do with religion. South of the river Avon is City and north of the river is Rovers... mostly. No religious divide, but the rivalry can be quite intense anyway!

Bristol City was founded in 1897, when Bristol South End turned professional and changed their name to Bristol City. They then merged with Bedmister football club in 1900 and took up residence at Bedminster FC's ground, Ashton Gate - home to BCFC ever since. :cheer:

Bristol Rovers was founded in 1883. Ground was Eastville and now the memorial ground in Horfield. Don't know much else about them really... :nah:

Apparently, back in the days when travelling away was unusual it was common for a bloke to go watch City one week, and then got watch Rovers the next. Can't see that happening much nowadays though! LOL

FB said:
The mighty POMPEY on their way to the play-offs :D

Keep dreaming FB. That last play off spot has Leeds written all over it and if we go by previous play off form we will lose in the final.

At least Leeds beat old boy Strachan and his 'boro boys.

In case anyone missed it Millwall 0-1 Portsmouth :D

Pompey up to a staggering 15th, nose bleed time...

I'm happy with Leeds so far this season. I never know if we will win or lose but as long as we keep winning every other game we should get a solid mid-table position.

McLarenSupremo said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/9120108.stm
:disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

This is sad news. We may have a healthy rivalry and would give you plenty of stick if you got relegated but no fan wants to see a team go under financially. I hope they can find a solution and keep the club going.

Its a joke, how Portsmouth are getting the can, and teams like Liverpool and United operate with hundreds of millions of pounds of debt and still make big money signings (look at the Rooney saga) while teams like Pompey (and even Preston who were close to liquidation in the summer) get attacked for 10 times less. There is something predominately wrong with English Football and i think the Premier League/Sky have a lot to do with it.

Portsmouth are not dead yet, but I sure as hell don't want to see league football clubs with gates of 15,000+ fold and leave a massive football loving city like Portsmouth unrepresented.

This threat is brinkmanship from the current "owner" Balram Chainrai to force Sasha Gaydamak to accept the administration agreement. The problem is that Chainrai doesn't want the club (and has said as much) and Gaydamak has no interest in the club, just getting back as much of his money as he can. Chainrai's threat to liquidate the club is to let Gaydamak know he could end up with nothing, not even the 20p in the pound on offer.

Gaydamak is owed £30 million but he has to take a large part of the responsibility for the situation Portsmouth are currently in, like most non-football people who buy into the British game it appears he thought he could make a profit from the TV revenue. Perhaps no one explained to him Fratton Park only holds 21,000 people and you can't sustain a Premier league side with such a small ground. Not much of a business man really is he?

Sad times as the the team has finally started to gel and is putting together a good run in the league. Let's hope they stuff Hull tomorrow and put themselves in the shop window for a buyer who will care about the club.

What a wonderful day for Pompey 2-1 win away at Hull and Chainrai's brinkmanship has forced Gaydamak to accept the deal to take the club out of administration.

Oh, and up to 13th just 3 points off a play-off place :D

Not sure if we have any 'Boro fans on here but Tony Mowbray has just been appointed as their new manager. Presumably getting West Brom relegated from the Premier League and and doing an even worse job at Celtic are the perfect qualifications for sorting out a team in the bottom 3 of the Championship. Could he do a worse job than Gordon Strachan; probably yes. Mowbray 's record at Celtic was even worse than John Barnes, now that takes some doing!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 128153.stm

edit: Just found this quote on Mowbray's Wiki entry (so you can decide whether to believe it or not)

It was revealed in May 2010 that Celtic had yet to agree compensation with Mowbray and his management team which could be as much as £1.4 million.

No wonder footbal clubs have financial problems.

McLarenSupremo said:
Bit of a painful night for you last night F1Y by the looks of it.

We've not beaten Cardiff since 1984 and with our collection of loan signings I wasn't expecting them to get any kind of result. I didn't even bother watching the game so the result was no surprise to me. I'm just happy we're not in the relegation zone, we won't win all our home games but we're making a good effort at winning our away games so that should be enough to keep us up.

FB said:
Could he do a worse job than Gordon Strachan; probably yes. Mowbray 's record at Celtic was even worse than John Barnes, now that takes some doing!

Or, more to the point, Mowbray's record at Celtic was worse than Strachan's! Football clubs have this odd propensity to hire ex-players despite a record of relegations, 4-0 losses at St. Mirren and Marc-Antoine Fortuné.

Anyway, Middlesbrough's appointment is not nearly as high profile as Leicester's at any rate!

A joke you may care to share with any Scouse friends you might have courtesy of my 16 year old son - Tough game for Liverpool this weekend, football.

Also found this bizarre picture of Micheal Owen obvioulsy not realising he's just about to be smacked in the head by a football.

_49675280_010289557-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom