Vettel's next team mate SPECULATIONOMETER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought he's a poor mans Mark Webber but would be happy for him to prove me wrong.

Josh don't make me start the argument about quali vs race craft! You don't get points on Saturdays. I blame the fact that its televised. Race performance should be the be all and end all of judging a driver.

Nah, a nonsense choice. Lapdog for Vettel.

Just like Massa is for Alonso? A repeat of the situation that prevailed at Renault when FA won his two WDCs?

The fact is that having two top-notch drivers on the same team rarely works out, particularly as far as team harmony goes. Witness: Senna/Prost, Mansell/Prost, Alonso/ Hamilton (especially the latter).

The fact is that having two top-notch drivers on the same team rarely works out
I totally agree, and I'm trying to think of an example of where it did work and coming up blank at the moment.

Regardless, I was kind of rooting for Kimi - even though I thought it would never happen - it certainly would have had the potential for entertainment ... :snigger:

So the Dark Lord Helmut Marko has found a new apprentice to replace his current one - Darth Vader - I mean Darth Vettel

Well no surprises there then.
How boring, a nice steady number 2 driver who isn't going to challenge Vettel.
And Red Bull are supposed to be a 'maverick' team - hah! They're even more boring and predictable than the current McLaren.
It's all very sensible from RB's point of view but dang, it's boring for the fans, I was looking forward to some fireworks next year.

I am so desperately disappointed by this decision, that's the penalty I pay for dreaming I guess. My heart was hoping for Raikkonen, and I think I convinced my head into thinking it made logical sense. History suggests otherwise. Here is a list of drivers from the past 25 years who have been drafted into a car expected to dominate in their début season with that team:

1990 Gerhard Berger replaces Alain Prost at McLaren.
1993 Damon Hill and Alain Prost replace Riccardo Patrese and Nigel Mansell at Williams.
1994 Ayrton Senna replaces Alain Prost at Williams.
1996 Jacques Villeneuve replaces David Coulthard at Williams.
1997 Heinz Harold Frentzen replaces Damon Hill at Williams.
2000 Rubens Barrichello replaces Eddie Irvine at Ferrari.
2013 Daniel Ricciardo replaces Mark Webber at Red Bull.

Only twice has a non-'like-for-like' swop taken place; in 1990 when Gerhard Berger replaced Alain Prost, and 1997 when HH replaced Damon Hill. Both changes resulted in a less experienced driver replacing a senior driver, not the other way around.

All other swops involved a team leader being replaced with a team leader, or a number 2 replacing a number 2. So, the odds of Raikkonen being hired to replace Webber were not good.

What does that say about Ricciardo? Sorry mate, I think you're going to have to be "Not bad for a No. 2 driver". Unless he pulls a Hamilton circa 2007... Somehow I don't see that happening.

Simply amazing that the guy drafted into the best car has only ever managed a P7. Hopefully RBR enjoyed their WCC run...

I guess this shouldn't be a surprise though, as the team clearly revolves around Seb, and has done for some time. Not that he had any input into this decision mind you.

Horner says kimi is still in the running....which is nice.
screenshot.97.jpg

JEV not only has beaten Ricciardo last year, but is winning again this year against him and has the highest result. Not sure I understand. Nothing against Ricciardo personally, but I feel like you shouldn't get promoted to the (most likely) 4 time reigning world champions without beating your teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom