The Olympics 2012

Perhaps some of the £12 billion spent on the event should have been diverted to the athletes and training future champions?

Just saying...

Last 40 years overall performance by the home nation.

China finished 1st 2008
Greece finished 15th in 2004
Australia finished 4th in 2000
USA finished 1st in '96
Spain finished 6th in '92
South Korea finished 4th in '88
USA finished 1st in '84
USSR finished 1st in '80
Canada finished 27th in '76
West Germany finished 4th in '72

I'm curious to hear people's opinions on something regarding the medal table. Last time I checked Kazakhstan were 8th, with only 2 medals (both gold), with Japan a place below them, but they have 11 medals (but only 1 gold).

What should take priority? Total medals or total golds?

Last 40 years overall performance by the home nation.

China finished 1st 2008
Greece finished 15th in 2004
Australia finished 4th in 2000
USA finished 1st in '96
Spain finished 6th in '92
South Korea finished 4th in '88
USA finished 1st in '84
USSR finished 1st in '80
Canada finished 27th in '76
West Germany finished 4th in '72

Nicely on our way to the standard set by Canada in 1976 then (we're currently 20th)!

Brogan, I shudder to think how much has been spent on UK sport since the beginning of the National lottery but it wouldn't suprise me at all if it was a figure like that.

The current system does suggest that nothing 'counts' except Gold - which, of course, is errant nonsense.

The spirit of the games is still focussed on 'the taking part', coupled with a hope of a medal of whatever colour - this idea is what should be embraced and each medal counted as equal. But then as Man is such a competitive bugger, we would end up with three shades of blue/red/green, etc.

Underworld were the musical directors for the whole opening ceremony.

Coincidence that underworld has worked with danny boyle on previous films such as sunshine and trainspotting. I think not. Underworld were chosen to direct the music for the opening games of the 2012 summer olympics, reprising their partnership with film-maker and ceremony director danny boyle.

The Team GB women's football team have just beaten Brazil 1-0! That puts them through to the quarter finals as group winners, having won all their matches :D! They're playing Canada, one of the two 3rd placed teams to get through, giving us a great chance of getting to the semis which would guarantee a bronze medal match at worse!

What a story it would be if we won a football medal!

In the mens 200m breaststroke final tomorrow evening it's looking promising. Our Brit guys qualified 1st and 3rd after the semi's.

Well done Michael Phelps, an impressive achievement - the Michael Scumacher of swimming (without barging his opponents into the wall too ;))
Some definite medal hopes for GB today, I hope by the time I get home from work we'll have some more podiums.

Main headline on the BBC this morning seemed to be the deliberately trying to lose efforts of the Chinese & Korean badminton players http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19073935
Personally I think they should all be disqualified for breaking the oaths made at the opening ceremony & making a complete farce of a sport. Gamesmanship is one thing, manipulation is another - no wonder the crowd booed them.
If that has tainted the day lift your spirits with this for proud dad moment http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072220

Back
Top Bottom