FIA The FIA admits the controversy at the Abu Dhabi GP is “tarnishing the image of the Championship”

I'm shocked by Damon Hill's crass responses to the original tweet. He claims not firing Masi would benefit Hamilton as he would owe him one. Basically saying it's fine to cheat as long as you balance it up by cheating again.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who originally said that the decision made by Masi was fine and to see if their views have changed on hearing this.

The Artist..... What are your thoughts?
I still think that the storm is more because team directors are allowed to get on the radio to Masi, rather than Masi necessarily bowing to pressure.

That Wheatley message was on lap 56. (About 90 seconds before Masi made the call). Ironically, had Wheatley not been banging in his ear, Masi might have been able to wave the lapped cars through on lap 56, rather than waiting for lap 57. However, at the time, everything Wheatley said was true; the cars didn’t have to catch up to the back of the pack, they just needed to pass the safety car line.

The problem for Masi (as I have said previously) was that he delayed delayed delayed. If you think that Masi was pressured into his decision, then the same would be true for the VSC earlier in the race. It may be the case that he is nudged Into decisions, but that’s more to do with the fact that the principals and directors are allowed to phone him during the race.

This entire season has seen the complete, unedifying sight of team principles badgering Masi. I still agree with Zac Brown; Wolff, Horner, and all of their entourage are the problem, and the confusion in Abu Dhabi is the result.

Article 48.12 of the sporting regulations “Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track…, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car.

Article 48.12 of the sporting regulations “Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track…, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car.
Absolutely - that doesn't prohibit the race restarting before they have made it to the back of the snake.

No it doesn't, but the rules are built around allowing them to do so, how would they know when to start racing for example if they are half way around a lap when the sc pulls in? That is why the regs state the SC comes into the pit at the end of the following lap.

No it doesn't, but the rules are built around allowing them to do so, how would they know when to start racing for example if they are half way around a lap when the sc pulls in? That is why the regs state the SC comes into the pit at the end of the following lap.
They aren't allowed to overtake until they pass the start/finish line after the safety car has come into the pits.

I have lost any respect for Red Bull racing a bunch of :censored:cheats. Red Bull told Masi forget the rules we want a finish..I am looking forward to hear the podium boos for them

Team personnel are always in the race director's ear. It's not just a red bull thing.

The only reason we are aware of any of this is because it's now broadcast.

The problem is what can be done about it. F1 has an awful record when it comes to communication management. You only have to look at the issues around team orders and driver assistance to know they couldn't regulate their way out of a paper bag.

If you ban communication to the race director the teams will claim huge safety implications.

Rules will be changed, new ones put in place, some personnel will change; Things will be Done and the Problem will Not Happen Again.

I'm interested to hear what the paddock have to say about the overall result of the championship, once the dust has died down. (It may never die down on forums, which is what they're for I suppose, but anyway…)

My feeling is that there will be a prevailing acceptance of Max as champ because he will be seen as a worthy champion, over the course of the season. Abu Dhabi wasn't the final – like other races it represented approx 5% of the total points available for the year, during which there were other errors leading to points being awarded where they shouldn't have been. I think that it will be accepted that over the season, Hamilton was luckier in this respect than Verstappen, so fair-dos lets all get on with it and not let it happen again.

And Mercedes definitely would have done the same, as well as any other team out there.

For once Verstappen is somewhat an innocent victim tarnished by his association with Red Bull I am trying to compare this with Crashgate where the race was fixed by Briatore and Symonds but Alonso knew nothing about it even though he was the benefactor

Rules will be changed, new ones put in place, some personnel will change; Things will be Done and the Problem will Not Happen Again.

I'm interested to hear what the paddock have to say about the overall result of the championship, once the dust has died down. (It may never die down on forums, which is what they're for I suppose, but anyway…)

My feeling is that there will be a prevailing acceptance of Max as champ because he will be seen as a worthy champion, over the course of the season. Abu Dhabi wasn't the final – like other races it represented approx 5% of the total points available for the year, during which there were other errors leading to points being awarded where they shouldn't have been. I think that it will be accepted that over the season, Hamilton was luckier in this respect than Verstappen, so fair-dos lets all get on with it and not let it happen again.

And Mercedes definitely would have done the same, as well as any other team out there.
Zak Brown already has saying the referee's ear has been bent . If anything he comes out with stronger credibility than the others who were saying Masi is doing a good job and needs more support the last few days

In many respects Vettel is correct. Masi should shoulder a lot of blame but he's not alone. The whole system is screwed from the FIAs terribly written sporting code, the stewards who can't make a consistent decision from one half of the race to the next, Liberty media continuing Bernie's legacy of not giving a **** about anything but money, all the way down to the fans who keep watching this shit regardless of how poor it gets

So yeah, too blame it all on one man is unfair. The rules do need to be better and there will always be winners and losers.

The fact remains, Masi was wrong.

C1195F12-2206-4DA9-A24E-8BA91BED0F2D.jpeg

Team personnel are always in the race director's ear. It's not just a red bull thing.

The only reason we are aware of any of this is because it's now broadcast.

The problem is what can be done about it. F1 has an awful record when it comes to communication management. You only have to look at the issues around team orders and driver assistance to know they couldn't regulate their way out of a paper bag.

If you ban communication to the race director the teams will claim huge safety implications.

In many respects Vettel is correct. Masi should shoulder a lot of blame but he's not alone. The whole system is screwed from the FIAs terribly written sporting code, the stewards who can't make a consistent decision from one half of the race to the next, Liberty media continuing Bernie's legacy of not giving a **** about anything but money, all the way down to the fans who keep watching this shit regardless of how poor it gets

So yeah, too blame it all on one man is unfair. The rules do need to be better and there will always be winners and losers.

The fact remains, Masi was wrong.
It's actually Todt's legacy as he has been FIA president since 2009 instead he spent most if his time hiding like a tortoise

Sporting - fair and generous in one's behaviour or treatment of others, especially in a contest.

Think Jonathan Wheatley needs a new job title.

Take your pick and cross out Sporting

Cheating
Race Fixer
Influence
Michael Masi's Master

Of course Mercedes wouldn't have done the same in their position no no no
to the extent that red bull & Jonathan Wheatley did. no i dont believe they would. this is not based abu dhabi. he was defend the indefensible in brazil.

im the 1st to defend sport in general that it has no morals. but even then they were beyond what was acceptable by sporting standards. it was getting into briatore territory. verstappen could have ran over a steward & Wheatley would have argued that steward was at fault as they shouldnt have been in the way

on that id treat them like the children they acted like, we trusted you, you abused that not only in Abu Dhabi but in Brazil & Saudi Arabia. i will contact you if we have a issue that i need you to hear

if you got a problem you can see the race director after race during a red flag

If nothing else, this has kept us talking about F1, and no one has even noticed that there have been car launches! perhaps someone knew that they had shot their bolt by talking up the new cars all last year, realising that the new launches would be a damp squib. Well played!

Back
Top Bottom