Football The 2012/13 Season

The wee prick got what he deserved, well he didn't actually, but his reaction and his face told the story, that he was at fault himself aswell.

Then there's also that tweet he put up before the game.

Kids think they can get away with a lot these days, the kid just milked it.

Obviously it's retarded from Hazard aswell.

Well, the ballboy clearly was trying it on, and should have been expelled by the referee, but Hazard decided to take the law into his own hands.

It would be simpler if they could just stop the clock as they do in, I dunno, every other sport in the known universe, but hey ho!

So congratulations to Swansea City, because this is not a fluke or a triumph made possible by some cockney wideboy spending money the club doesn't have (*cough* Portsmouth *cough*); it seems to be a sustainable growth from a club who have an intelligent chairman, a succession of managers who have improved on firm foundations and some excellent footballers.

Can't think of a team/club that more deserves its day in the sun; they're now in the unusual situation of being the overwhelming favourites to win their first ever Cup Final. But I don't think the Swans have the finger hovering over the self-destruct in quite the way Villa and Arsenal tend to...

We took our foot off the gas in the last 10 minutes!!! But to be 4-0 up against a team with seven internationals starting shows how bad QPR were yesterday.

Don't know what's the fuss is about in the uk with Hazard. He kicks the ball underneath some brad who dramatized the whole situation and they make him look like he kicked that brad half dead.

Arsenal might sign a left back to replace the injured Kieran Gibbs as we've only got Andre Santos covering. But then again, I'd be better than Andre Santos.

Also:
Samba on £100k a week in a 12.5 million move to QPR
Beckham to PSG

But the main news is Patrick Bamford signing on loan to MK Dons for the rest of the season.

Samba is a really good buy, I'm surprised that nobody from the Premier League bought him after Blackburn.

Also, if I was in the bottom 10, I would sign Darren Bent, he's getting wasted at Aston Villa, he gets goals, and is quite underated.

Everton, Liverpool, and most of teams below them can do with a player like him, even Arsenal.

January transfer window is always boring.

Samba is a really good buy, I'm surprised that nobody from the Premier League bought him after Blackburn.

Well some Russian team threw money at him and it would require a daft and desparate club run by a chairman with more money than sense and a manager with no concept of the value of money to sign him from there.

The Pits If I could like this 100 times I would. Wenger has become a disgrace. Anyone who has seen the Liverpool match knows that our whole defense is utter rubbish (Sagna, TV, Mertesacker, Santos). Other players like Arshavin, Gervinho, Ramsey, Squillaci have no right to even play in the EPL...Club is run by morons

GermanF1 - Which manager would you prefer?

Arséne Wenger built a strategy for a successful club in the mid-2000s which was blossoming to perfection; they would continue to bring in relative unknowns on sustainable wages, improve them and keep them at the club on the basis that while the wage may not be the best, there would be few places where success was more forthcoming.

Unfortunately for Arsenal, just as the Arsenal team was peaking, along came Roman Abramovich to throw tons of money at Chelsea, and catapult them to the title. Initially, there was no real drama. They finished second in the league in 2004-05 and won the FA Cup, not doing so well in 2005-06 in the league but reaching the Champions' League final. The team that started that day and the bench:

Lehmann; Eboue, K. Touré, Campbell, A. Cole; Pires, Gilberto, Fábregas, Hleb; Ljungberg; Henry
Subs: Almunia, Senderos, Clichy, Flamini, Reyes, Bergkamp, van Persie

They matched Barcelona in Paris but lost due to tiredness caused by Lehmann's sending-off on 18 minutes. However, suddenly the grass was greener. Vieira had already departed for Juventus and Cole was off to Chelsea that summer. Arsenal also approached this juncture with a new stadium to pay off, further diminishing their financial competitiveness.

For a while, it was possible for Wenger to replace these players from the reserves and to continue to sign promising players from elsewhere (Walcott, Nasri, Sagna). Rapidly, it became impossible to replace players at the pace they were leaving, but the final nail in the coffin was Abu Dhabi's funding of Manchester City, meaning even more Arsenal players had the opportunity to leave.

If Chelsea and Man City had not come in with all that money, what would the Arsenal first team look like? I have a prediction educated guess:

1. Cech (French league young player - right up Arsenal's street)
2. Sagna
3. A. Cole
4. Flamini
5. Kompany (Similar career path to Vermaelen)
6. Vermaelen
7. Walcott
8. Nasri
9. Van Persie
10. Wilshere
11. Hazard (I don't think he'd have gone to Lille and brought back Gervinho if this was on!)

I still think Fábregas would have gone to Barca, but I think Wenger is more a victim of circumstances out of his control happening at exactly the wrong time. Man U managed to ride out the storm, but Liverpool also fell to the money of City/Chelsea leaving them unable to replace Xabi Alonso and forcing Mascherano and then a succession of others to leave the club.

I honestly believe Wenger has been so unfortunate, but I don't believe that he should start to "chase the dream" and end up following Leeds United's path. With the stadium paid off and an excellent commercial structure, I don't believe the gap is insurmountable should they find the right young players and particularly if they can keep Wilshere and Walcott at the club.

I don't believe, however, that any manager would have done a better job.

teabagyokel Everything you just said is true. There's no doubt about it. But I still think that TODAY Arsenal could be better off than they actually are. There are certain clubs like Everton (David Moyes would be my favorite for Arsenal) and Tottenham who don't have significantly more money than Arsenal, who seem to be able to finish ahead of them this season. And in 2 or 3 years time Arsenal could be a mediocre team (they basically are already).
I just don't see the point in sticking to players who have proven time and time again that they are not worthy of playing for them or even playing in the league. Everyone can clearly see that they should add to current squad. I'm not saying they should spend hundreds of millions, but a few signings would be great as their defense is just awful (and that's putting it marbly). Hell even QPR are getting people signed.
I've been a huge fan of Wenger for all those years, because of all the reasons you just mentioned. But I feel it's time for Arsenal to move on...

QPR are buying overpriced players who really aren't adding a lot. Moyes has been excellent, but I would say he has been committed to sustainability just as much as Wenger, and would probably do something very similar at Arsenal. And don't forget Everton have had some pretty ropey transfers as well.

Arsenal's players are all good enough to play in the league (except Santos), it is my opinion that they'd all be good squad players in a Championship team. They're just not good enough to all be a Championship winning team.

Back
Top Bottom