Pre-GP Quiz 2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Pre Race Quiz

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
Hello, good evening and welcome to the Canada GP quiz.

Some tricky little numbers to stretch the mind for you. (there may or may not be some helpful hints in the spoiler titles).

1) Montreal hosted the 1976 Olympic Games which were famous for almost driving the city bankrupt. Williams GP are having their own problems at the moment but along with McLaren have won an event of a different kind which is unique to this GP weekend. What is it?

The mechanics raft race held in the Olympic rowing lake in the middle of the circuit

2) Canadian Rock Star Bryan Adams sang about the "Summer of 69" which was a highly successful international hit. In the 1969 Canadian GP, Canadian F1 Driver Al Pease was not so successful. He became the first and so far only F1 driver to be black flagged in a world championship race for doing what?

Driving too slowly, when he was black flagged he'd completed 22 laps while the leaders were on their 46th.

3) Canadian Dan Aykroyd starred in the classic film the Blues Brothers. Which famous blue coloured team won the 1981 Canadian GP which marked the start of a 15 year wait until they next won a race.

Ligier

4) Canadian beer Labatt's were a major sponsor in F1 during the early 90's. The 1992 Canadian GP marked the first time that season that both cars carrying their name on the sidepods had failed to win, set pole, fastest lap or finish. Which team are we talking about?

Williams

5) The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are famous for their scarlet tunics. Who famously won his only GP driving his Ferrari to victory in 1995?

Jean Alesi

6) The Canadian band the Barenaked Ladies wrote the theme tune to the hit American Sitcom "The Big Bang Theory" which first appeared on screens in 2007.Which driver took his maiden F1 win at the 2007 Canadian GP?

Lewis Hamilton

7) The 1999 film South Park the Movie contained the Oscar nomintated song "Blame Canada" which lost out to the Phil Collins song "you'll be in my heart" from the film Tarzan. Which Canadian driver moved from Williams to British American Racing that year and lost to pretty much every one on the grid?

Jacques Villeneuve

8) Vancouver frequently doubles for American cities in films and tv but which circuit replaced the Canadian GP for the 2009 season until Canada returned in 2010. For 2010 Canada appeared as the next race of the season, after the track that replaced it from the previous season.

The Turkish Grand Prix

9) The Stanley Cup, first won by the Montreal Hockey Club in 1893 is the oldest sporting trophy still in use today. Which World Championship winning team, ran by Louis Stanley, finished its final Canadian GP in 1974 with both cars failing to be classified?

BRM

10) Canadian Alanis Morissette's album Jagged Little Pill contains the song "Ironic" which famously contains a list of things in the lyric that, while annoying, aren't actually ironic. At the 2018 Canadian GP what did model Winnie Harlow do at the instruction of the race director that could have been very annoying?

She waved the chequered flag a lap too early

So there you have it folks.

I hope you enjoyed the quiz in all it's Canadian Glory. It's a fantastic country and I spent some time there on my honeymoon and would love to go back. Let us know how you got on by posting your results below.

5, middle of the road, much like the Canadian GP (except when it's won by the loveliest boy to ever raced a car).
A very nicely written quiz, thanks.

Lovely quiz, though the answer to number 7 has an incorrect spelling of the last name ;)

I got 4 out of that and thoroughly enjoyed it thanks, really made me think hard. :)

Hello, good evening and welcome to the Canada GP quiz.
It's a fantastic country and I spent some time there on my honeymoon and would love to go back.
Mrs Legs and I also honeymooned in Canada - we had a great time horseriding in Kananaskis Country and touring the Rockies in a little RV...

Back
Top Bottom