Head To Head Sebastian Vettel vs Daniel Ricciardo

So just to clarify: If Vettel sinks without a trace its because he's a poor driver. But if he makes a come back its because the car was developed around him.

Not really got much of a chance has he?

Damon Hill got even worse treatment from the press UNTIL he was actually sacked and Frentzen and Villeneuve looked very amateurish in the supposedly super fast Williams in 1997

For Hill - if he won was because he had a superior car and if he lost it was because he simply was not good enough !

Not bitter, just objective about Vettel's achievements and the circumstances in which they were achieved. As with many observers, I think he feels that Vettel's stats flatter him, and he has never been one not to speak his mind. He is just saying what he and a lot of others think. Alonso's achievements over the last four years of Vettel/Red Bull domination are much more respected by his peers and most fans. He knows that and isn't shy about it.

Yet Alonso has no titles since 2006 and Vettel has 4. Hence why he seems a little bitter.

But then as I keep saying he loves his mind games in the media. He's already rubbed Kimi's face in it, now Vettels. I'm sure its only a matter of weeks before he tips Rosberg for the title with a knowing wink.

Last edited:
there is an element of bitterness when he is regarded as the best driver on the grid but only has 2 world titles to Vettel's 4. Seb has taken every record Alonso has set or should have got

Quintessentially

He may be 4 time world champion but can you honestly say he is better than Alonso or Hamilton ?

It is when things don;t go his way and he has got a teammate pushing very hard we will find out just how good he is - whether he is a Piquet or a Prost

Will Vettel sink like Alonso or will he rise to the challenge and came out on top we will just wait and see

In a pecular way I see the Red Bull team make up as sort of Senna/ Prost

where Vettel is in Prost situation where the team was his own and now Red Bull promote Ricciardo who is seen as an heir apparent like Senna was when he signed for Mclaren

Vettel is without a doubt a very good Formula One driver, but I'm not sure just how special he is. Does he belong in the conversation for who is the best driver on the grid right now? Without a doubt yes. But is he the best right now or an all time great? We will see. Do we really think Nigel Mansell is great for his 1992 World Championship? Probably not (although you may argue he is great for other reasons. I am not saying he isn't). Vettel is not quite as extreme of case as that, but it is the same idea. We can't attribute everything to the car, but it definitely sure does help a bunch.

Damon Hill got even worse treatment from the press UNTIL he was actually sacked and Frentzen and Villeneuve looked very amateurish in the supposedly super fast Williams in 1997

For Hill - if he won was because he had a superior car and if he lost it was because he simply was not good enough !

except for when he lead an entire race in Hungary with an Arrows car.

Great drive from Vettel. To put it in perspective only 3 people have ever scored a podium finish from outside the top 10 at Barcelona and he went from 15th to 4th. Hardly any track running either.

Which is even more of a shame we didn't get to see a straight Ricciardo/Vettel fight this weekend.

That is quite a silly stat. What he did today was put in a great drive but each race has it's own story and circumstances. different drivers, different cars, different qualifying positions. It was a great drive from Vettel but let's not compare apples with oranges, especially if what we are going to say is that this apple is greener than most oranges.

I was stating it to show that charges through the field at Barcelona are few and far between not to say how great Seb is.

I will remember the apples, oranges fruit anology next time someone brings up the 'team mate' theory though ;)

What we were discussing before. That other drivers have proven themselves more because they've been up against better quality team mates.

Every team mate battle is a matter of circumstance. Therefore, like you've said, its an apples verses orange situation or silly stats.

Back
Top Bottom