Head To Head Sebastian Vettel vs Daniel Ricciardo

It's well documented. See Scarbs for one of the best explanations. It was something they were doing to emulate traction control using the KERS harvesting and something that was only on Vettel's car. No tongue in cheek. Just recounting well documented and reported insight.

I'm afraid sushifiesta some people genuinally believe it! I remember the secret boost button argument way back.

Fair play to Ricciardo he's doing a great job at the moment. Don't see any harm in Seb saying 'tough luck' on the order to pull over though as they were pretty much on same strategy and racing. I knew some people wouldn't like it though (it was ok when Massa did it).

Will be interesting to see how this one unfolds but I will remind everyone that when Ferrari produced a bad car in 2005 Rubens Barrichello was beating Schumacher at tjis stage.

I'm with Bill Boddy - talk to me after Spa.

Yep. Whilst it's not proven fact, respected analysts have corroborated enough to explain anomalies in the performance and characteristics of Vettel's car to make the argument far more convincing than that against it's existence, which consists solely of a denial from members of the Red Bull camp. I won't try to convince you, but it is certainly my belief and I feel justified in it.

Last edited:
But Rubens genuinely had the beating of Schumacher at times. He just didn't enjoy the same level of support from the team. If RB continue to support Ricciardo in the manner they've done so far, he can only get better. Webber always came across as a bit of an outsider but Danny is 'one of them'.

Well I'm convinced its a complete load of tosh for the simple fact tbat why would they apply it to one car and not the other?

Even if the favouritism argument stands up (which it doesn't) then why would they not have applied it to Webbers car after he'd win the title? Otherwise they're trying to win the constructors title with one arm tied behind their back.

We'll agree to disagree though.

I can't remember, but I think they secured the constructors title before the driver's title. It was within one race of each other whichever way round. But, yes, I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Barrichello genuinely had the beating of Schumacher at odd races throughout 4 years, which were too infrequent to even consider.

ExtremeNinja From what I remember it was more likely to be clever engine mapping to recover some exhaust blowing of the diffuser. I doubt Red Bull would only use that on one car but the exhaust blown diffuser is something that Webber is labeled as struggling with so maybe he wasn't using the mapping to its full potential.

Anyway, to get back on track a bit, I don't think favouritism was one of the biggest factors in Vettel's recent success. After 2010 Webber was just nowhere compared to Vettel.

It took me a while to be convinced by Vettel but you just can't ignore what he's achieved. I will be surprised if he doesn't overhaul Ricciardo eventually.

Last edited:
Too infrequent thanks the team's frequent willingness to throw their support behind the other driver. I mean Irvine almost certainly would've won the championship if not for Ferrari obsession with No 1 and No 2. Speaking of Webber, let's not forget that him and Vettel were evenly matched throughout 2010 and this is a driver some have called third rate. It was quite clear to every man and his dog who the Redbull No1 was after this. Whether he was given equal tools to compete is another debate in itself.

Personally I though Seb was Red Bulls number 1 because he was bettee than Webber. Thats usually how it works. Same with Schumacher too.

Your argument for all 3 falls down because they have been in other teams where they've had number one status and been beat.

Also I'm a bit confused how Irvine would ha e won the world title if Ferrari hadn't been obsessed with number 1 status. Twive in the 1999 season Ferrari had drivers move over to let him win. One of these was actually Schumacher.

So Irvine was helped to try and win his title by Ferrari giving him full number support then? Still confused as to why Ferrari's 'obsession' with number 1cstatus cost Irvine the title.

Also isn't moving over when you don't have a mathmatical chance of winning the title the definition of support? He wasn't going to move over for him prior to breaking his leg as he had nearly double his points!

Irvine did qualify 1.5s down on Schumacher and 1.2s down on Hakkinen (in 5th), and finished the race 1m35s down. Let's face it, he was nearly lapped...

I don't know Kewee ... SV didn't hold up DR for that long ... I can't see 3.5 seconds in what he did ... I still think Alonso had it covered ...

Most drivers use the pitwall as a discouragement for trying to get up the inside on a start ... SV is not that unique ...

When it became clear that Ricciardo could be a threat Alonso upped his pace such that he was only 0.2 seconds per lap slower than Ricciardo.

Back
Top Bottom