Head To Head Sebastian Vettel vs Daniel Ricciardo

Neither Ricciardo nor Vettel could have done more today. Monaco is a bit of a dead rubber in terms of comparing team mates in normal conditions but in Canada/Austria we'll start to see a nice battle emerge I think. I still expect Vettel to come out on top eventually.

I sincerely hope Vettel's drive today quietens down the nay says. A superb drive with some really aggressive overtakes. He's probably still at a disadvantage to Ricciardo with this new formula but he's getting there.

I think it's also a good moment to thumb my nose at all those who questioned why Red Bull put Daniel in the team rather than Raikkonen. The boy is brilliant and deserves all the praise he is getting.

I think Vettel took that car by the scruff of the neck and found out that the car liked being driven like that, with this new information I would expect Vettel to start beating Danny more and more from now on and come out on top..

If Mercedes dominance is broken, it will be by a Schlesser wannabe or by Red Bull.

I've got an inking it could be next time out...

And whilst one team mate battle is apple vs apple another is kiwi vs kiwi.

You can't say Kiwi A is better than Apple B due to the fact it beat Kiwi B because once again you have crossed fruit.

Seb's car almost certaintly would've been geared to overtake with the change in gear box and his eventual starting position. Not downplaying his great drive but I think it's too early to say he'll start beating Dan on a regular basis now.

...but I think it's too early to say he'll start beating Dan on a regular basis now.

...or at all. He still finished a further twenty-something seconds down the road. It seems that the 3 stop really helped him, as he was able to thrash his tyres and keep sticking on new sets. He had two sets of new mediums due to his quali woes, so started with a tyre advantage. Could Seb have made a two-stop strategy work? The previous race, assuming there has been no dramatic improvement from him since, suggests that he could not have.

@quintessenctially the gear ratios were fixed at the start of the season, and parc ferme rules apply , so as he did not start from the pit lane, the car was not changed.

ExtremeNinja you managed to slip in a rather large assumption!

Maybe he has finally got over his tyre woes and learned how to get the best out of the car over a single lap or race distance, but there was no evidence of it in the parts of practice or the parts of qualifying that he did take part in. Danny boy still had the legs on him. Hence, my assumption.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom