Head To Head Sebastian Vettel vs Daniel Ricciardo

Horner has already said that Seb will not be asked to play any supporting role as they feel the WDC is already out of reach.
My experience in sports is that when you think you have lost, you have lost (with that I mean that as soon as you think you can't win, you will respond to that and whatever you do you won't win. A very good example from cycling is Erik Dekker in the Tour of Flanders of 2001, who thought the other riders in the leadgroup werre stronger than him, and he didn't make an effort to posittion himself for the sprint. He started the sprint two lenghts behind the group and lost with an inch. Had he started his sprint in any other postion (except further back ofcourse), he most likely would have won. The perfect example of someone he thinks he can't win, and by thinking that actually makes himself lose).

To summarize: now RBR think they can;t win the WDC, they won't. Unless Ricciardo thinks differently ofcourse.

Ninja - Kimi's deficit with 7 (6 w/double) races to go was just 18 points. Danny's lies 72 points adrift. Even considering the 2007-2014 point conversion ratio, the margin is much larger.

I'm glad they'll be racing for the rest of the year and I suspect RBR would like to see Seb bringing the fight to Ricciardo a bit.

I said earlier on this post I think Seb is just wrung out this year and needs to get his levels back to to where they have been for the last 4....and I stick by that. However DR is really hammering Seb now and unless he (Seb) want's everyone to think his 4 WDC's were on the back of the car, and only because of the the car, he'd better show at least some glimpses of his real self before the end of the season.

I honestly don't think Seb is as poor as his current results would seem to suggest and I also think that DR is having an absolute purple patch. I am also pleased that so far (in public at least) he is not throwing his toys out of the cot.

KekeTheKing Horner is a wuss that hides in his turtle shell for bottling it . I bet Helmut Marko will have a different view than Christian

So imagine the last race with both Mercs out and Vettel needs to move over to allow Ricciardo to claim the title .. seriously are Red Bull are going to score an own goal then ?

Mephistopheles Anything can happen in F1 as long as Danny boy stays within 50 pts of the last race then he still has a chance

Besides Red Bull have not got a hope of Vettel retaining the title so even if there is a slim chance then they better make a decision now

KekeTheKing .18 point s was less than two wins to nothing. With double points, 72 is two wins two nothing. The differential is the same, with the caveat that a specified race closes the window of opportunity somewhat. Otherwise, it's three wins to nothing.

Last edited:
I'm in Meph's camp on this one. It would take a failure of monumental proportions for Mercedes to piss away the WDC this year. Red Bull should be much more concerned with finding out if Vettel can take the fight to Ricciardo in these new cars. I see that he'll be getting another new chassis for Singapore which will be the 4th one he's tried this season. RBR obviously have no interest in relegating their 4x reigning champ to a support role.

Safe to say after today's events that RBR are much more interested in seeing these two race each other instead of chasing the WDC. Seb seemed to have the measure of Dan throughout the race. Now on to another Vettel circuit.

In his post race interview Dan stated that he was dealing with "all sorts of problems" with the car. He said he had a repeat of his loss of power from Hungary but this time they team was unable to clear it.

TBH I think Alonso went straight on at the first corner knowing he had no problem with run-off and guessing he could give back only one place. Although you can argue he was alongside or even in front of DR that was by dint of not having to position and slow himself to take the corner; so I reckon he should have been made to give up the place to DR too. After all there has to be a line drawn that says if you go off you should end up worse off than those that obey track limits. Non-one forced Alonso off, he took himself off by going too fast and then benefited....It just shows he's not only very fast but very clever too!

And

BTW I think without Alonso doing that to DR then DR would have had the legs on SV over the race....but I have only seen highlights so maybe that is not a fair reflection of the whole race pace?

Back
Top Bottom